follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #15
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do a datalog during your crank with all the sensors and compare against a good startup that should give a clue. O2, MAF, MAP, AFR etc.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #16
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Do a datalog during your crank with all the sensors and compare against a good startup that should give a clue. O2, MAF, MAP, AFR etc.
https://datazap.me/u/jrhudson/maf-plugged?log=0&data=7
This one is when the car has the MAF connected.

I dont have any data on a good goodstart up but i did datalog my unplugged MAF start up and connected the MAF when it was running and the car eventually dies when the MAF is connected.
https://datazap.me/u/jrhudson/start-...g?log=0&data=7
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
FrickingReallySlow

Check out the sticky in the software tuning thread where ppl post their datalogs and you can compare
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47754

But what I can see is if you look at "total fuel quantity" between your two logs, they reach different peaks 33 (MAF) vs 43 (NO MAF) during the beginning of cold start. So it seems to be a fueling difference which could be caused by MAF.

Did you get the starter fluid yet
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Weird how on the log it runs for 6-7 seconds it has no stft, ltft, AFR stays the same, ect.

@steve99 thoughts?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #19
jrhudson

Quote:
Check out the sticky in the software tuning thread where ppl post their datalogs and you can compare
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47754

But what I can see is if you look at "total fuel quantity" between your two logs, they reach different peaks 33 (MAF) vs 43 (NO MAF) during the beginning of cold start. So it seems to be a fueling difference which could be caused by MAF.

Did you get the starter fluid yet
I totally forgot about the starter fluid. I do have some and did just try to spray some starter in the intake. The car stays on alot longer with the starter fluid in the intake. It was about 10 seconds of run time then just shuts down after the fuel is burned.

I went to check the fuel pump, and i can for sure hear it prime. I did check the connectors were tight as well.

I will probably pull the fuel pump and at least change the fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Weird how on the log it runs for 6-7 seconds it has no stft, ltft, AFR stays the same, ect.

Yea i saw that as well.

I'll try to do more datalogs to get actual data for those parameters hopefully.

Last edited by jrhudson; 09-09-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:21 AM   #20
FrickingReallySlow

look on the bright side you reassembled a boxer motor for the first time and its running pretty good! pat yourself on the back.

looking at your timing chain picture, how come your cylinder heads are so clean and a different paint color? Are they also new?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 AM   #21
jrhudson

Quote:
look on the bright side you reassembled a boxer motor for the first time and its running pretty good! pat yourself on the back.

looking at your timing chain picture, how come your cylinder heads are so clean and a different paint color? Are they also new?
I am happy about me putting together a boxer motor, there is a lot of...uniqueness to boxer motors. This is my first time assembling any motor.
But the main concern initially was to see if I did it correctly, like mechanically, with no blatant leaks or things like that. It has good oil pressure every time she fires up, over 100psi on cold starts, so happy about that.

Those are my original heads, and they were machined /resurfaced. They look so new because they were cleaned by a process called vapor hone, no idea what that is, it's what the shop called it. The marks were made by a blue paint pen i had lying around, it was so i could see them easier. I copied everything in this how to video. Good video on timing the FA20 motor.

Last edited by jrhudson; 09-10-2021 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #22
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

@steve99 thoughts?
If I'm not mistaken, this is normal (though I am not sure of the reason). STFT and LTFT show 0 until several seconds of running the car. Should be able to find other examples of datazap logs with people starting their car, I believe this is always the case.

EDIT: Looked around, found one. Maybe I'm wrong, STFT was 0, but LTFT kicked in after a second. But maybe it just has to do with the fact that his MAF is disconnected so it's not doing any fueling adjustments.

Last edited by Dzmitry; 09-10-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (09-10-2021), NoHaveMSG (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this is normal (though I am not sure of the reason). STFT and LTFT show 0 until several seconds of running the car. Should be able to find other examples of datazap logs with people starting their car, I believe this is always the case.

EDIT: Looked around, found one. Maybe I'm wrong, STFT was 0, but LTFT kicked in after a second. But maybe it just has to do with the fact that his MAF is disconnected so it's not doing any fueling adjustments.
I wasn't sure, that is why I called on Steve99. It would make sense that they wouldn't read for a little bit but I wasn't totally sure. He would know what the log should show on startup.
Dzmitry (09-10-2021), jrhudson (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #24
jrhudson

Well shoot, the brand new OEM MAF didnt change things.

I did put some light throttle in hopes of keeping her running and maybe she’ll throw a code but nothing. It did make her run a litttle bit longer tho

Okay. Now im really stuck. There 3 different logs in this one. 2nd and 3rd ones are where i applied some throttle.

https://datazap.me/u/jrhudson/new-maf

Fuel pump is next, i rather not keep throwing new parts at this. Lame.

Edit: i forgot to mention this is a lower comp block(10.5:1), not the stock compression. Would that be an issue? My tuner said it wouldnt be.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #25
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
Well shoot, the brand new OEM MAF didnt change things.

I did put some light throttle in hopes of keeping her running and maybe she’ll throw a code but nothing. It did make her run a litttle bit longer tho

Okay. Now im really stuck. There 3 different logs in this one. 2nd and 3rd ones are where i applied some throttle.

https://datazap.me/u/jrhudson/new-maf

Fuel pump is next, i rather not keep throwing new parts at this. Lame.

Edit: i forgot to mention this is a lower comp block(10.5:1), not the stock compression. Would that be an issue? My tuner said it wouldnt be.
Weird. Seems like everything is working. It's almost as if the ECU is not recognizing fuel flow or something like that. You got a few misfires there. With LTFT and STFT still not showing, I would think some kind of sensors or something along the lines are not working or not installed properly. The ECU is seeing this and shutting the car off as it doesn't believe it is getting fuel to some extent?? I don't know, because it is recognizing the fuel pump duty % and quantity.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #26
FrickingReallySlow

It seems like there's no base maps in your ECU for it to use to adjust your fueling whenever there's a MAF so it doesn't even try to adjust STFT/LTFT. but in limp mode will startup and run on a default map. Are you using ecutek for programming? look at the logs while programming and see if there's errors
Old 09-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #27
jrhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Weird. Seems like everything is working. It's almost as if the ECU is not recognizing fuel flow or something like that. You got a few misfires there. With LTFT and STFT still not showing, I would think some kind of sensors or something along the lines are not working or not installed properly. The ECU is seeing this and shutting the car off as it doesn't believe it is getting fuel to some extent?? I don't know, because it is recognizing the fuel pump duty % and quantity.
Yea, i saw the misfires. I want to say it’s because i probably have some leftover starter fluid that wasn’t completely dry in intake.
Yea, i thought it was a sensor not plugged in properly so i pulled off the intake manifold. Everything seems to be secure and connected to the correct sensors

Quote:
It seems like there's no base maps in your ECU for it to use to adjust your fueling whenever there's a MAF so it doesn't even try to adjust STFT/LTFT. but in limp mode will startup and run on a default map. Are you using ecutek for programming? look at the logs while programming and see if there's errors
Yea, ecutek for tuning. You can take datalogs of the programming part? I wasnt aware of that. Ill do that after i reinstall my intake manifold
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #28
jrhudson

@FrickingReallySlow i did another reflash of the stock tune, no codes or errors during it.