follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #71
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
Heres a little something I read this morning about that turbo 1.6 engine from Subaru for their STI cars (and a 2.0 turbo), and if you scroll to the bottom, they even show the plexiglass BRZ concept. Not sure if its been confirmed online here about the new turbo engines from Subaru, but I do know there were rumors going around about the BRZ being one of them to get it as an STI version. Makes those rumors sound more believable seeing how Subaru is switching up their engines for sure. This site just keeps my mind wondering more and more about the BRZ. First $27,000 260hp, now a possible hint back towards an STI as well...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/9/2...oming-7704950/

Forgot to mention, they also said they will be moving the high mounted turbo under the engine. Maybe to keep a low center of gravity?
Interesting read for sure. I think you're on to something about mounting the turbo underneath the engine. They also may be doing it to free up some space, not that I think that is necessary, I'm still learning about these boxer engines, but I can't think of many other reasons to move the turbo other than for a lower CoG
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #72
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
What would people pay for an STI one? WRX to STI is about an 8k jump, so if this car comes out at 22-23K (which is realistic IMO), would you be willing to pay a similar price increase? 30-31k for a BRZ STI?

They've already said that the model will be out for a long time. It's obvious that a faster/better version will come out, but I seriously doubt they'll rush it. I'd suspect 3 years or so before we see that version show up at dealerships, otherwise they'll be done with the generation a lot sooner then it's been stated they want.

I'll buy the first one, and if the faster one a few years later seems worth it I'll dump the first one and get the new one. :shrug:
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #73
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think 7k increase is a just price for the BRZ Sti for the 2.0 t engine with 275hp/265tq with a sport package. Like 29k.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #74
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would think that they would have a very tough time on mounting a turbo below the engine (think Legacy) because of the very low positioning of the engine.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #75
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
What he said. But I know he was talking about the JDM debate.

WoW why you no meet? Too busy with work for internet friends?

Man, all the cool people going to be there and stuffs. It might be worth it just to meet all you guys since this won't happen with the Tokyo announcement($2k hell no!). If it was Chicago it would be doable since that is within driving distance. I don't believe I can spring for a flight and hotel there. Not with needing to move and save up for a down payment.
Dooooooooo it. Even Ichi might be showing up. Lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #76
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
I would think that they would have a very tough time on mounting a turbo below the engine (think Legacy) because of the very low positioning of the engine.
I agree. With how low and far back this engine sits,

It seems that any a bottom mount turbo would be dragging on the ground.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #77
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
I agree. With how low and far back this engine sits,

It seems that any a bottom mount turbo would be dragging on the ground.
But look at thatbig space for a top mounted turbo, or even a front mounted turbo like on the legacy GT turbos.

Besides there is not a whole lot of subaru owners to begin with running bottom mounted turbos. Most EJ255 and EJ257 engines run rear/top mounted turbos, or rear/bottom. But never directly below the engine. The offsetting the location of the turbo and im sure there wont be a problem with placement even with the engine sitting very low.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #78
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I like how you forgot what came after that quote.

I know it's USDM but that doesn't change the fact that this car won't come with the same features,engine,tranny etc. My RSX says 97% Japanese on it and I know it's not JDM also but It's not a totally different car. That's a better way to put it.
Side the steering wheel is on makes for a big difference.

Differences (besides driving side) between my (but not all) JDM Supra and my Canadian spec car:

Motor. The big one. 280 hp twin turbo 1JZGTE JDM, vs 232 hp single turbo 7MGTE.
Mirrors. Power folding ones on the JDM
Fenders. My JDM wasn't flared (a narrow body).
Interior. Factory Recaros. Plus rest of the cloth is different (JDM is much better woven stuff instead of the 80s/90s velour crap).
Brakes. No ABS on the JDM.
Climate control. Manual sliders on the JDM, auto on Canadian.
Gauges. Pure metric on JDM (Canadian has tiny MPH under the normal km/h on the speedo). Plus weirdness like a boost gauge that reads in mmHg instead of psi.
Stereo. JDM is Double DIN. Available factory Minidisc.
Diff. Torsen rear LSD on the JDM, clutch-pack on the Canadian.
Lights. Rear tail lights and center reflector are factory smoked/tinted.
Emissions. I have a dash warning light for a catalytic converter because the car had two O2 sensors (second was in or after the cat and got axed with a new exhaust).
Other. Whole lot more Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana on the labels.

LOTS of differences.

For some reason all this little stuff is coveted by the JDM crowd. Silliness.
Only the powertrain really matters, and they are less and less different these days.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz coupe, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums