follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Did anyone use any device like the below to clean the undercarriage? Any recommendations? As mentioned, I plan to use a car wash that has a booth with pressure washer that works in the winter.
Just saw this.
I bought one of those years ago. May be fine if you have super water pressure but didn't do much of anything on a regular garden hose.
I eventually made an attachment for my pressure washer and immediately blew the whole thing apart.
The "max 3000PSI" sticker was a lie!
Stonehorsw (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #16
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Clay bar doesn't reduce swirls. It actually mars the paint a bit more. You need a polish or cutting compound to remove swirl marks in the paint.

For future reference a full detail includes, in order:
1. Wash and dry
2. Clay
3. Cut (only if necessary, judgement call here)
4. Polish
5. Protect

I wash and dry (drying is important here) once or twice a month if I can, then the rest every 6 months.
Pretty much the process I always done, in this case I did not see any reason to polish. Probably, when the spring comes, I will see better and may repeat, then including polishing the bottom of the side skirt.

Thanks for the comments regarding the mistake of thinking that clay would mar the paint, instead of reducing the swirls. Question here, is there any link that explain better this?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:44 PM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Pretty much the process I always done, in this case I did not see any reason to polish. Probably, when the spring comes, I will see better and may repeat, then including polishing the bottom of the side skirt.

Thanks for the comments regarding the mistake of thinking that clay would mar the paint, instead of reducing the swirls. Question here, is there any link that explain better this?
Sure is!
https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Here is the full guide.
https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Keep in mind, their business is to sell stuff, though the guides and forums are pretty good at autogeek. I think they gloss over the marring a bit (pun intended, but oh so good...) but my experience is even the finer grades of clay make me want to polish afterwards.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-06-2022), Stonehorsw (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #18
Stonehorsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Sure is!
https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Here is the full guide.
https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Keep in mind, their business is to sell stuff, though the guides and forums are pretty good at autogeek. I think they gloss over the marring a bit (pun intended, but oh so good...) but my experience is even the finer grades of clay make me want to polish afterwards.
Thanks. I never done polishing before, just clay and ceramic or graphene. The stuff on the site seems another level, I use Meguiers for soap and clay, normal IPA to prep surface, then graphene from Turtle. Previous car had a very good result also (minus the bumper, that I had so much road rash)
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2022, 11:33 PM   #19
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I never done polishing before, just clay and ceramic or graphene. The stuff on the site seems another level, I use Meguiers for soap and clay, normal IPA to prep surface, then graphene from Turtle. Previous car had a very good result also (minus the bumper, that I had so much road rash)
Hey, as long as your happy with it, that's what's important.

In case you wanted to know, my go-tos are:
-Megs hyperwash soap
-Pinnacle clay lube and Griot's clay
-Megs 205 and 105 compounds
-Klasse AIO and HGS Glaze for sealing

Don't get me started on microfiber...

Last edited by Spuds; 01-07-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
bholliday (01-11-2022), Stonehorsw (01-07-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 08:31 PM   #20
Burrz

Drives: 2022 BRZ
My pet peave right now is that the touchless carwashes in my area do not clean the lowest part of the body, below the skirt, at all. As described in the following image. The jets simply do not spray there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Burrz; 01-09-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Burrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #21
dicegc

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Here is my experience so far (I live in Virgina so have had to take it through washes a few times due to salt).

New touch carwashes are much better, and they get most of the dirt off as compared to touchless (even the newest ones still only take off the top layer of dirt).

Where I live, the touch carwash causes no issues and is pretty new. My family is down in NC where Sam's carwashes are big. When I had my '17 BRZ I never had an issue with them. This past December when I drove the '22 down after getting it, while the carwash didn't hurt the car, it did bend my front license plate (I have it on a tow hook adaptor from my '17). If you were to look at the car head on, it bent the first inch of the license plate in half.

Basically, it all depends. I do also find it interesting it left swirl marks for you as that means it didn't disengage the brushes as it was moving between wheels (the wash I use normally does) and should probably be reported to the operator as that is not normal.

Last thought: When it warms up, I will probably just start washing it more by hand and will get one of those undercarriage wash adaptors you can get for your hose. Normally I handwash, but temps in the teens make it a little too cold to do.
dicegc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dicegc For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM   #22
Stonehorsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just saw this.
I bought one of those years ago. May be fine if you have super water pressure but didn't do much of anything on a regular garden hose.
I eventually made an attachment for my pressure washer and immediately blew the whole thing apart.
The "max 3000PSI" sticker was a lie!
How do you wash during winter? Did you setup a water hose connection through garage or similar?
Old 01-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #23
razgriz12345

Drives: 2022 brz limited (WR Blue)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrz View Post
My pet peave right now is that the touchless carwashes in my area do not clean the lowest part of the body, below the skirt, at all. As described in the following image. The jets simply do not spray there.
they do the same where i live i was a little mad about it but it only cost me 10$ so i was like well i guess its the pressure wash station in the next bay for me lol
razgriz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
How do you wash during winter? Did you setup a water hose connection through garage or similar?
I have no garage or way to wash in winter. Just use a quality touchless wash.
Stonehorsw (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:01 PM   #25
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Based on your needs, you might wanna look into ceramic coatings. Ceramic coatings last for years, and are pretty cheap on amazon and well worth the money. That way you can at least take them through car washes without worrying too much.

Go on amazon and look up some ceramic coatings, and watch a few youtube videos to learn proper techniques, and avoid rainbows. It's pretty straight forward.

Word of warning: you need to wash, clay, and polish before ceramic coating. Ceramic locks the paint in place.