follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #3837
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are some things that aren't obvious (like bushing content or maybe a feature to a specific part), but the general rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say that you can, then you can't.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #3838
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Yes to 1 and 2, looks like lip is ok per 14.F.1

Everything behind the throttle body must be stock to the car, no manifold changes regardless of what was available on the chassis on a different year or option package. No changing fueling system hardware at all.

No driveshaft allowance other than a common sense repair/replacement (it certainly can't be lighter).

'Model' is hazy on whether or not years are restricted based on current rules wording, in the past it's always been thought of as a same model year option packages only as there are less obvious changes year to year on chassis that could be beneficial creating annoying 'magic year' chassis/option combos (ask old Honda guys about the differences between an 88-89-90/1 CRXs, that's not an aero thing more of an update/backdate thing). But I'm firmly in the camp that all the aero in the world isn't the reason why I suck so I'm not going to put much more thought into it.

Seems like you're missing the fundamental way the solo rulebook is written, you can perform the allowances written in the rulebook, no more.
Going to bug ya on one last question (for now )

I'd love to run the TRD spoiler (on my BRZ) , but searched and looks like you can't (which is sad and kind of ridiculous lol)

Are there any other spoiler options other than just the OEM BRZ one that are STX legal?
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #3839
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
Are there any other spoiler options other than just the OEM BRZ one that are STX legal?
See;

Quote:
F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side skirts, and non-functional scoops/vents is allowed provided that either:
1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)
2. It is listed in the vehicle manufacturer’s US accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc).
Parts must be installed as directed by the manufacturer. Exact replicas,including weight, from alternate sources are also permitted.
Has to be offered by the OEM and not from the STI catalog.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #3840
SON1C

Quote:
See;

Has to be offered by the OEM and not from the STI catalog.
& there’s no others, correct? (Other than typical brz spoiler)

Last edited by SON1C; 02-26-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #3841
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
& there’s no others, correct? (Other than typical brz spoiler)

Probably not.

TRD one isn't even on an 86...
Old 02-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #3842
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
I have the pedestal wing from the later gen BRZ's and its supposed to do something, though what who knows.

whats more interesting is that the lips and stuff from subarus "sti" brand arent really "sti parts" more or less.

you can still find it in the standard factory parts inventory, with standard naming convention.

even TRD is sort of a show and shine parts list now and true "trd" bits are ultra rare Gazoo Racing stuff.

my league down here looked the otherway with the full lip side skirts and rear spat kit on the brz cause it was so common on brz's down here. and because of that a friends 86 is sorta hazed over for his greddy lip.

but this again goes back to who wants to contest what.

id still argue the sti lip, skirt, and rear spats are standard parts and factory options, and not true " performance part after math bolt ons"
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #3843
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post

id still argue the sti lip, skirt, and rear spats are standard parts and factory options, and not true " performance part after math bolt ons"
They are standard not dealer installed, on the series blue and more. Definitely standard parts.
Clutch Dog (02-26-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #3844
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As someone who runs national events, my honest personal opinion on things like a TRD spoiler on a BRZ....

I don't care. I probably wouldn't notice. With that said, if you were to bump me down a contingency spot or a points spot at a pro or trophy at nats and I did notice, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd protest or even say anything to you. However...

I might look at your car with more scrutiny than someone without it.

Again, that's just one opinion.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (02-27-2020), DocWalt (02-28-2020), strat61caster (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #3845
SON1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
As someone who runs national events, my honest personal opinion on things like a TRD spoiler on a BRZ....

I don't care. I probably wouldn't notice. With that said, if you were to bump me down a contingency spot or a points spot at a pro or trophy at nats and I did notice, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd protest or even say anything to you. However...

I might look at your car with more scrutiny than someone without it.

Again, that's just one opinion.
cool to hear your perspective, thanks for sharing that
Old 03-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #3846
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
I was asking more on clarification of say, all of the exterior pieces
No, 100% of parts. If you change a lip you need to change the HVAC, etc. all the way through.

Example: I had an RS 1.0 and if I wanted to run DS when everyone moved from CS to DS I would have had to change the dual climate control and every body piece that was TRD RS 1.0 specific along with the springs just to be class legal.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #3847
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
what are my options for front camber if im already maxing my camber plate and bolts out? I got my alignment a few weeks ago and my passenger side can go over 1/2 a degree more than my drivers side. Obviously i bent something but nothing looks bent. im currently at -3.15 since thats as far as the drivers side goes but was looking to go -3.5.

I'm guessing either figure out what i bent and replace it or put another crash bolt in the top too?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #3848
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Either the lca is bent or your camber plates are uneven. Lca should bend before the subframe, knuckle or strut, tie rod should be adjustable even if it's tweaked and any issues there would show in toe. What coilovers do you have?

Two camber adjustment mechanisms on the bolts is typical, either a pair of camber bolts in factory sized holes or the upper strut hole is slotted and you stick a camber bolt in the lower hole. Sounds like you have the former, either the small 14mm factory bolt a la crash bolt or grab the 16mm spc camber bolt.

Edit I suppose if it was crashed and the subframe was tweaked and just the lca replaced that could be it. Also I'm remembering that you can shift the subframe for a few tenths of a degree shift side to side but most alignment shops are too lazy to do that.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #3849
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Either the lca is bent or your camber plates are uneven. Lca should bend before the subframe, knuckle or strut, tie rod should be adjustable even if it's tweaked and any issues there would show in toe. What coilovers do you have?

Two camber adjustment mechanisms on the bolts is typical, either a pair of camber bolts in factory sized holes or the upper strut hole is slotted and you stick a camber bolt in the lower hole. Sounds like you have the former, either the small 14mm factory bolt a la crash bolt or grab the 16mm spc camber bolt.

Edit I suppose if it was crashed and the subframe was tweaked and just the lca replaced that could be it. Also I'm remembering that you can shift the subframe for a few tenths of a degree shift side to side but most alignment shops are too lazy to do that.

looks like something was weird and my old reply was blank. but i have csg flex As and i have the spc crash bolt in the bottom hole on max like the instructions say. last year i was at -2.6 front with my plates being 2 ticks from max. so im guessing i bent my lca
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #3850
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
looks like something was weird and my old reply was blank. but i have csg flex As and i have the spc crash bolt in the bottom hole on max like the instructions say. last year i was at -2.6 front with my plates being 2 ticks from max. so im guessing i bent my lca
K-member often also bends if the arm bends... Though not always.