follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
id keep the spare in the garage when i replace the wheels. I remember i had stock 16in wheels on my S14 and when i switched to 18s....then once i ran a flat on my car...having 18 inch wheels and a single full sized 16 looked bad with the car dipped to a single corner and the car was lowered..soo.....eventually because of this i destroyed that wheel bearing after a short limp back home...

if the spare is a 18 inch wheel ..and i replace the factory wheels with ..lets say 18 inch volks...then maybe i might keep it. Then take it out during track days.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gotta have a spare. Run-flats handle like crap and way too expensive. Plus im a do-it-yourself kind of guy and I'm not scrapping that fix-a-flat crap of my rim before I put my new tire on. (yes I have a tire changer :P )
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'll gladly forgo a spare tire for a small plug-in air compressor and a patch kit.

I have a hunch that those dissing run-flats haven't driven on the current generation of them [i.e. Continential's ContiProContact SSR and Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RoF]. They're quite livable, despite the inbred ignorant hatred towards them.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
tecnica tech

Drives: 99 legacy gt
i have AAA so i dont care either way
tecnica tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
speed_demon
Hakuna Matata

Drives: 1990 240SX
I personally would forgo the spare and just have a can of fix a flat in the car for the weight reduction.

The genuine fix a flat stuff washes off with water. If you are scraping it or complaining about having a hard time with it then you are either just trying to jack up the price for a customer or are lazy. Grab a garden hose and it washes away. Really. No kidding.

OEM tire fix stuff may not be so easy to deal with though. Go for the good stuff.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
SharedProphet
A person.

Drives: 2007 MINI Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I thought a spare tire was a standard issue but a quick google found that these cars don't come with a spare!

Smart Car
Toyota Sienna
BMW M-Series X-Series
Dodge Challenger
Honda Fit
Pontiac G8
Chevy Corvette

Personally if it came with a donut spare and a jack, I would be ok with that. I usually carry a set of tire plugs in my truck and used those several times in the trails.
+ Mini Cooper S
The regular Cooper has a spare but for the S, the turbo takes up the space the battery normally occupies, so the battery is relocated to the space the spare normally occupies. I think manufacturers use run-flats as an excuse to not provide a spare. I would want a spare (and no run-flats).
SharedProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #21
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
Run-flats will ruin the ride quality. I'll gladly take a donut spare and take it out when I want outright performance.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
never had a spare in any of my cars in 12+ yrs of driving. have AAA and suprisingly never been had a flat on the road. even in my BMW i replaced the RFTs with non RFTs right away.
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
no spare please

bcaa here I come
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I personally would forgo the spare and just have a can of fix a flat in the car for the weight reduction.

The genuine fix a flat stuff washes off with water. If you are scraping it or complaining about having a hard time with it then you are either just trying to jack up the price for a customer or are lazy. Grab a garden hose and it washes away. Really. No kidding.

OEM tire fix stuff may not be so easy to deal with though. Go for the good stuff.
The problem with Fix-a-Flat isn't the fact that it just washes away, but the fact that it gives the illusion of an actually fixed tire. People dump that stuff in and sometimes will drive for days or even weeks before taking the tire in.

That stuff does not inflate the tire enough to provide a proper fix. Most people usually end up destroying an otherwise fixable tire. It's called a heat ring it happens when an underinflated tire is drove on. It just destroys the sidewall. You can't fix that. Very rarely I saw people with fix-a-flat and a compressor do it properly. But that stuff is still nasty.

But others like Slime means it can't be fixed. It coats the inside of the tire so there's no way to attach a patch properly.

So if you're going to use fix-a-flat make sure to get a compressor, otherwise you'll just end up having to buy a Tire anyways.

As for if I want a Spare or not, I could go either way. It's going to be my weekend warrior car. So if something were to happen I could get a Tow and drive my DD around.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #25
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone estimate how much a donut/spare actually weighs? I read in R&T a few years back that every extra 100 lbs. or cargo will decrease your mileage by about 2%, so would omitting the spare really be worth the risk?
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #26
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
I would say about 40-45 lbs with a jack. Not that noticeable for daily driving IMO
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #27
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
I would want a spare.
Especially with how munted the roads are in Chch.
Lots of big pot holes waiting to be repaired. Then it rains and more pot holes apair.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #28
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Another one here for a Spare. I'll use a spare tyre over a can of expanding foam any day. If it happens I get another flat, then I've got the can for emergencies too. I'd also rather change a tyre myself rather than wait for my insurance company's roadside assistance to come and help me, which could take anywhere from 30 mins to an hour, depending on where I am.

Tags
spare, tire, weight