follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeasHer View Post
Took the little one to the service center.

The guys down there said there was nothing wrong with the computer, and everything was fine.

They think that having the traction and abs notification on in the driving conditions I was in (wet, lots of corners, higher speeds) was normal, and that the car pre-selected this driving option (i.e. also turning off cruise control and options for other drive types (i.e. traction off, sports VSC (and for those with GTS 'sports' and 'snow')).

If this happens to you - the notifications coming on means that the car is letting you know (additional?) traction and ABS is ON - it does not mean that there is a fault to be checked. After the driving conditions improve, and you have turned the car off for 1 min and back on the car should take these notifications off. If not, then there might be something wrong.

I said that I did not noticed any different handling but they said it couldve been such a tiny change that I did not notice the difference (which is most likely true being asian, young and female LOL).

Car is a.o.k and smarter than I thought.

Thanks.

Just strange, never heard of a car doing that before. It's like it's thinking for its self... maybe we should be careful! lol

I think them saying it's normal is just their way of saying that they don't know what is wrong/happened

But honestly, never heard of something like that before (atleast no cars that I have worked on!) Anyone else add to this?

Cheers

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
BigM

Drives: B4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd go to another service centre, that sounds like "we can't be bothered go away" to me... Their explanation makes no sense at all.
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Jonny Rochester

Drives: 1983 Corolla Levin
To fully turn traction control off, I think you need to hold the button for 5 sec. Otherwise it is just temporary off and comes back on.
Jonny Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
UnLeasHer

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS & Mazda 3 SP23
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM View Post
I'd go to another service centre, that sounds like "we can't be bothered go away" to me... Their explanation makes no sense at all.
it kinda makes sense to me. when u turn ON sports mode the notificaton comes up and stays on until sports mode goes off etc. in this case it was in bad driving conditions with near blinding rain. i got it to go away, but it came back on because we were still in bad conditions - it was only when it improved did the notifications went away.

the other service centre wouldnt see me till wednesday. these guys pushed me in front of everyone else car. these same notifications came on for someone else in us in heavy rain too.

they did reset the computer, but there were no fault codes logged at all.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
BigM

Drives: B4
Interesting, kind of confusing setup though if that's how it works!
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Azzaboynt

Drives: Red 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps with all the water, the car computer thought it was swimming? Interesting if it's the case.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
2thdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm having the same problem where the trac and abs come on ramdomly. The dealership says it is a brake light sensor error. I hooked up the 4th brake light to the drivers side brake light and I was wondering if that could be the cause of the error?
2thdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
Egyptn
GEEEEEEE T

Drives: White 86GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM View Post
Just a good ol' read of the manual they are right:

Page 192
Attached Images

Egyptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
kajun

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdoc View Post
I hooked up the 4th brake light to the drivers side brake light and I was wondering if that could be the cause of the error?
By "4th Brake light", do you mean the rear fog light?

Get someone with an OBDII adaptor to read the error codes & see what's showing up.
kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
2thdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
In Canada we have a third brake light in the rear window, so the triangular reflector is hooked up as a "4th" brake light.
2thdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Where do you rest your hand? not on the buttons at all? i have turned mine off and on by accident..
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is not normal operation. If the ABS light and Traction light come on and stay illuminated while driving the ECU has detected an issue as mentioned usually with a wheel speed sensor or ABS sensor. It will disable ABS and Traction control which is why it is lit. OBD2 readers will not detect any codes for this. If this continues to come back take a picture bring to dealer again until they can further test.

I can trigger this error also with my OBD2 adapter, its more of a bug though. Do you have anything plugged into your OBD2 port by chance? Some people have that tracker from insurance companies or Bluetooth adapters.
@UnLeasHer
Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #27
AZbrz89

Drives: 14 BRZ Crystal Black Silica Limited
Yesterday I just got my Enkei Rajin 18x9.5 with mpss 255/35r18 all the way around and within 20 mins of driving my ABS light comes on as well as the TRC/VSC light (car with skid marks) and stay on while im driving and when I press my vsc sport button or the trac control button nothing happens or changings like its stuck. but both lights go off after I turn the car off, then came back on after 20 mins. it is not aligned yet so the steering wheel is turned to the right at the 3 o'clock position even though my tires are straight. can someone help me?
AZbrz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #28
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Could be a million things. I know that seized caliper pistons will make the car throw a "faulty wheel speed sensor" error. Best to get an OBD2 reader. I've never gotten a CEL that didn't return some code through OBD2 (and I've got plenty).
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote