follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #2829
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Thanks Mike for the advice, will get it analysed when I get the chance to. Do you recommend I swap out the current fluid now?
When in doubt, swap it out :-)
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #2830
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
When in doubt, swap it out :-)
Totally. Nothing beats the feeling of running fresh lubes
Old 06-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #2831
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
What @enivid said!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #2832
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Wave at Singapore American School for me next time you drive by! I went to school there in '85-'86. Lived across the highway from Big Splash back when it was an actual waterpark.
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #2833
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I want to get better on the track and start time trials and amateur racing in a few years, but have finite resources in money and time. I can budget for 2-4 track days a month, depending on the track and organization. What are some good ways to supplement actual track experience? Do racing simulators (iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2/Pro, etc) and autocross actually help or is the benefit only minimal?
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #2834
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpde_addict View Post
I want to get better on the track and start time trials and amateur racing in a few years, but have finite resources in money and time. I can budget for 2-4 track days a month, depending on the track and organization. What are some good ways to supplement actual track experience? Do racing simulators (iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2/Pro, etc) and autocross actually help or is the benefit only minimal?
Am not OP, just want to share my 2 cents on simulators.

Before I owned the BRZ, I couldn't take my previous ride to the track. So I stuck with simulators. Always playing my local track, with my favourite cars. I can safely say that it definitely benefited me at the track when I actually took the BRZ down to the track. It felt surreal yet familiar and surely, the lines carried right over.

Do hit up a simulator with a wheel just for kicks! It's really a good way to familiarize yourself with the track at least
Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #2835
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
Wave at Singapore American School for me next time you drive by! I went to school there in '85-'86. Lived across the highway from Big Splash back when it was an actual waterpark.
Aye! Well.. Sadly the waterpark is gone now but some local car groups do actually hold many meets at the Big Splash area nowadays!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #2836
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Do any of your planned track days include instructors? If not, try to find ones that do.

Good instruction will go a long way to improving your driving quickly.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-25-2015), strat61caster (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #2837
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

I am not a prodigy and I'm focused on smoothness rather than raw speed. Five years of HPDE, 11 track and 2 ax days so far this year. AX events in the past year at the small track (LRP) and go carting last winter helped me get comfortable to consistently drive near/at the limit at relatively low speeds (up to about 50mph). Since, I've been faster in slow corners on track but not yet in most of the fast corners. Tried racing simulator and it did nothing for me. Many a wise fast driver told me seat time is everything so I spend as much time driving where I want to be better/faster - track.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #2838
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
^The karting suggestions is a good one, slower speeds with higher lateral Gs, and very twitchy chassis. They are a ton of fun.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #2839
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Autocross does help. Most start there and go to track days after, but it's good cheap seat time that will help you be more precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
^The karting suggestions is a good one, slower speeds with higher lateral Gs, and very twitchy chassis. They are a ton of fun.
Agreed. And it's relatively cheap.

http://www.jimhallkartracing.com/

Take a class here and learn a lot.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #2840
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
in addition to the feedback already given (which is all excellent advice) some organizations will let you corner work in exchange for track time if you're not already doing that. A good way to get free track time, and there ain't nuthin better than free track time!

except maybe getting paid to drive....
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Campo For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-25-2015), Ultramaroon (06-27-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #2841
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My takeaway. Simulators can help you get familiarized with tracks and racing lines. Go karting and autocross can help you get familiarized with driving the car at the limit on tighter corners. Ultimately, seat time on the track is where you are going to see, by far, the greatest gains. I actually enjoy simulators and autocross, so I'll keep doing those, but now I have a more clear idea of what I need to focus on.

Thanks all!
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #2842
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's more seat time than I get.

Seat time is king; I'd recommend getting a datalogger and a camera or two, so you can study and analyze your own driving between track days.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote