follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A7 vs R1-S?

I might be buying tires... What are pros/cons of A7 vs. R1-S as far as lap times and durability? Usage will be ~15 minute practice sessions and 3-lap time trials. I'll probably only put 6-10 heat cycles on them this year. Also how important would it be to save either of these and have their first heat cycle be a time trial, vs. running practice a single practice session on them first?

TIA
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The A7 is better than the R1-S in terms of lap time and about equal in durability. For 3 lap time trials the A7 is definitely the way to go. For races longer than 30min and ambient temperatures hotter than 80F it is a toss up between the A7 and R7. R7s and R1-S both heat cycle out, this hasn't been a problem with the A7. I've used a single set of A7s this season over 3 weekends (12 heat cycles) and I'm still able to set fast lap times in T4 at Majors events. I expect the A7s to wear out before cycling out, but they are still going strong and will probably continue to do so because I've only had 2 flipped so far. The A7 is the way to go if you can only afford one set of tires for a season. If you can afford to and you're racing, carrying around sticker R7s for the times conditions warrant their use is a good strategy.

It doesn't really matter if you use the tires for the first time in practice or a 3 lap time trial. It is recommended to let them sit 24 hours after their first use, but that is not mandatory. I often don't have the opportunity to let the tires sit 24 hours before using them again.
ZDan (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Confirming Totemo's response.

I spent last year racing on and trying to make fast, R1-S tires while getting beat by HoHos. Their window of peak performance is just much narrower than HoHos and the time/effort to get them there, only to be (hopefully) equal to "slap it on an go fast" HoHo just isn't worth it. The HoHos are also preferrable on cars that may have limits on suspension setup (like in T4 where we are limited to 3.5 degress of camber).

I run both R7 and A7. A7 will be fast until cords due to rate at which it wears. R7 will cycle out with meat still left on the bone but is ideal for hot tracks or tracks where the tire doesn't get a chance cool or longer duration sprint or enduro races.
ZDan (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Thanks guys!
I ordered up a set of 225/40-17 A7s.
Going up against another BRZ with take-off Pirelli slicks at Palmer next weekend...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-31-2020)