follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
karbon

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Best washing approach without personal garage??

I'm a college student living in an apartment complex. As such, I don't have my own garage to clean my car in. It's been about 2 weeks and there are a few bird droppings on the roof that are easily noticeable given how low the car is. How would you recommend I go about washing the car??
karbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
CU2MIKE
Banned

Drives: Nissan Altima, plan to get a FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5A29qIjnc"]Washing With 'Optimum No Rinse' - YouTube[/ame]
CU2MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CU2MIKE For This Useful Post:
hankster (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
hankster

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
is Optimum No Rinse best in general or just for special situations? I.e., is it better than 2-bucket method?
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
karbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU2MIKE View Post
Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for towels or quick detailers that I should use with this product?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
CU2MIKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
is Optimum No Rinse best in general or just for special situations? I.e., is it better than 2-bucket method?
It's not better than 2 bucket method, but it was designed for people who can't bust out 2 buckets with hose to rinse the car down. It's a huge product around detailers, and a very very good product at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbon View Post
Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for towels or quick detailers that I should use with this product?
You could actually dilute ONR to be used as clay lube/quick detailer. I believe the dilution for QD is 1:6, or 1oz ONR per 6oz of water (I use distilled water).

As far as towels, I've been using these towels and am loving it:
http://www.microfibertech.com/16x16-...-10_p_135.html

You do need a specialized detergent to care for your microfiber towels as well, this is the one I currently use:
http://www.microfibertech.com/Micro-...ent-_p_61.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CU2MIKE For This Useful Post:
karbon (07-23-2012), kwood9000 (07-23-2012), MiguelAE86 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
raz0rbladez909
I'm here for the beer

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS, 1971 Datsun 240z
I used to go to those do it yourself pressure wash places just for their water. I'd bring my own bucket and soap too. Most places don't like it if you do that but if it's not busy you usually won't hear anything from them.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
One of the best thing you can do to keep your cars paint in good shape is to carry around a small spray bottle of quick-detailer spray or spray carwash and a microfiber towel, and clean contaminants like bird droppings off as soon as they happen. Bird crap can permanently etch paint in less than 24 hours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miniata For This Useful Post:
CU2MIKE (07-23-2012), Dang Lad (07-23-2012), kwood9000 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
karbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
One of the best thing you can do to keep your cars paint in good shape is to carry around a small spray bottle of quick-detailer spray or spray carwash and a microfiber towel, and clean contaminants like bird droppings off as soon as they happen. Bird crap can permanently etch paint in less than 24 hours.
Yikes! I noticed the white stains on the roof about 3 days ago. Hopefully another 3 days for stuff to ship won't cause any noticeable irreversible damage.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbon View Post
Yikes! I noticed the white stains on the roof about 3 days ago. Hopefully another 3 days for stuff to ship won't cause any noticeable irreversible damage.
The bird crap is still on the car?!?!? Get out there right away with a soft cotton towel or even a paper towel soaked in water and carefully remove the bird droppings from the car.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
karbon

Quote:
The bird crap is still on the car?!?!? Get out there right away with a soft cotton towel or even a paper towel soaked in water and carefully remove the bird droppings from the car.
Well crap I'm at work until midnight. How will I focus now.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
CU2MIKE
Banned

Quote:
Amen to that! I keep a small tote bag with QD and a pack of 5 towels in the trunk for bird dropping emergencies.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm a bit obsessed with quick-detailer and micro fiber towels. It's a great way to keep the car clean in between washes.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I can vouch for the ONR two bucket method as being perfect in an apartment complex - I live on the 8th floor, but park on the 7th because it's covered and do all my washes down there. It's extremely easy to set up, use, and clean up and it works wonderfully.

I would also suggest grabbing some Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer to do quick wipe-aways and touch ups anytime you get droppings, bugs or anything else on the car. You want that stuff gone as soon as possible. You can also use Meg's Quick Detailer on the whole car for a quick no-water wash as well, but shouldn't use it as your regular wash.

Also a quick note that this forum and AutoGeek have been excellent for me learning how to care for my car. The last car I had (2004 Corolla) got washed maybe once every 3 months. Thanks to all the tips on here and AutoGeek (and being absolutely in love with my FRS) I wash at least once every 5 days and have been doing full wax detail every 14, and actually enjoy the process. Anytime you have questions come here, as everyone on the board has been incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.
Dang Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
hankster

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Dean View Post
I'm shooting the video tomorrow on a brand new wash method I developed. I think the world is gonna.like this! The Garry Dean Wash Method is coming!

I know this.may sound crazy, but just wait!

Stay tuned...
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote