follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #43
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone have experience with the Non Stop Tuning pulley kit? It is very affordable.

https://www.nonstoptuning.co/store/p...NST08686K.html
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #44
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Non Stop Tuning pulley kit? It is very affordable.

https://www.nonstoptuning.co/store/p...NST08686K.html

I do. They ate a couple of belts. Trash...

ETA I will do a light LWP again just for the weight loss.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #45
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I think light weight pulleys only make sense if you already have light weight flywheel, carbon drive shaft, lighter wheels, and 2-piece brake rotors. I'm certain you would be able to feel the difference when you have removed that much rotational mass from the drivetrain.
That’s not really accurate.

It’s like saying “bigger exhaust tips only make sense if you have a tune, E85, header, catless frontpipe, and catback. I’m certain you would be able to feel the difference when you have opened up the exhaust system that much” except the exhaust tips being bigger had zero contribution to any of the benefits. Just like the pulleys will have zero contribution.

Flywheel makes a bigger difference because not only is it a greater total LBS loss compared to a lightweight crank pulley it’s a much larger diameter. The diameter is the bigger factor. That’s also why going from 24lbs driveshaft to 12lbs driveshaft will make almost no difference (besides static weightloss) because the diameter is so small and often the lighter driveshaft actually has larger diameter negating any rotational mass loss benefits. Lightweight wheels can make a difference assuming the weight savings is on the outside diameter of the wheel or even lighter tires, but it also needs to be a substantial loss per wheel/tire not 1-2lbs per and not if its on the inside of the wheel. Many people drop 2-3lbs per wheel but add 2-3lbs per tire and accomplish nothing from a weight standpoint. For Two piece brake rotors again diameter is larger than pulley but its usually the hat that is lighter which is still relatively small diameter that it wont make much difference unless its a very substantial weight loss.

Static weight-loss can add up and be beneficial. on my car for example from a power to weight ratio stand point losing 100lbs or gaining 11 whp would keep my power to weight the same, although power is still better for acceleration vs weight. Weight is generally better for handling/braking. But a full pulley kit is roughly 4lbs total not even much of a static loss, and essentially zero benefits from rotational mass standpoint. For 110$ you can lose 4lbs from lightweight fuel rail cover for basically the same benefit.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-30-2021), nikitopo (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #46
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Every little bit adds up and the pulleys,flywheel, battery and driveshaft is a huge weight savings and relatively cheap. Around 50lbs
I agree, every bit helps in reducing weight. But crank pulley has also vibration damping function. Vibration damping is more important than saving a few pounds, which adds power at high rpm and increases reliability. I would save weight at other places.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #47
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
If you are worried about the increase of vibration and the impact on the bearings, then it is better to balance the pulley, the crankshaft, the flywheel, and the clutch cover. Changing a crank pulley might sound a simple process, but as mentioned earlier it requires many more things and it is better to avoid it on a daily driven car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I think it is funny that people think they can feel throttle response. You really think that knocking a few ounces off a pulley has any measurable effect when the other end of the engine is spinning a 20 pond flywheel? No doubt you could show some maths that say there is a difference but it would be so small it couldn't be measured much less felt. Oh, and that is with the car out of gear. Throw it in gear and spin everything up to and including the wheels and that few ounces difference become even smaller.

You want noticeable response you need to throw a lightweight flywheel on. Now you will get throttle response but at the cost of revs dropping of faster. Everything is a compromise and there is no free lunch with performance parts.
nikitopo (07-31-2020), soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
That’s not really accurate.

It’s like saying “bigger exhaust tips only make sense if you have a tune, E85, header, catless frontpipe, and catback. I’m certain you would be able to feel the difference when you have opened up the exhaust system that much” except the exhaust tips being bigger had zero contribution to any of the benefits. Just like the pulleys will have zero contribution.

Flywheel makes a bigger difference because not only is it a greater total LBS loss compared to a lightweight crank pulley it’s a much larger diameter. The diameter is the bigger factor. That’s also why going from 24lbs driveshaft to 12lbs driveshaft will make almost no difference (besides static weightloss) because the diameter is so small and often the lighter driveshaft actually has larger diameter negating any rotational mass loss benefits. Lightweight wheels can make a difference assuming the weight savings is on the outside diameter of the wheel or even lighter tires, but it also needs to be a substantial loss per wheel/tire not 1-2lbs per and not if its on the inside of the wheel. Many people drop 2-3lbs per wheel but add 2-3lbs per tire and accomplish nothing from a weight standpoint. For Two piece brake rotors again diameter is larger than pulley but its usually the hat that is lighter which is still relatively small diameter that it wont make much difference unless its a very substantial weight loss.

Static weight-loss can add up and be beneficial. on my car for example from a power to weight ratio stand point losing 100lbs or gaining 11 whp would keep my power to weight the same, although power is still better for acceleration vs weight. Weight is generally better for handling/braking. But a full pulley kit is roughly 4lbs total not even much of a static loss, and essentially zero benefits from rotational mass standpoint. For 110$ you can lose 4lbs from lightweight fuel rail cover for basically the same benefit.
My go to threads when weight loss comes up.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...47&postcount=2
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284

All in all to obtain any significant weight loss on these cars you need to seriously hamper the day to day driving. Fine if you don't mind driving a stripped out shell around all the time but sort of sucks if it is your only form of transportation.

Also, everybody talks about the pulley like it is freely rotating mass. It isn't spinning in a vacuum. The tension on the belt counters much of the weight loss right off the hop so.
ddevl_86 (03-30-2021), Lantanafrs2 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #50
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My go to threads when weight loss comes up.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...47&postcount=2
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284

All in all to obtain any significant weight loss on these cars you need to seriously hamper the day to day driving. Fine if you don't mind driving a stripped out shell around all the time but sort of sucks if it is your only form of transportation.

Also, everybody talks about the pulley like it is freely rotating mass. It isn't spinning in a vacuum. The tension on the belt counters much of the weight loss right off the hop so.
I’m down over 185lbs still have AC and my cabin is quieter than stock. The first 100lbs is pretty easy/cheap. The 85lbs cost a pretty penny but had dual benefits at least beyond just weight loss. Besides spending ridiculous money on carbon fiber body panels nothing more i can do though without sacrificing daily driving comforts like stripped interior.

Good point on the pulley.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #51
Tcoat

Quote:
I’m down over 185lbs still have AC and my cabin is quieter than stock. The first 100lbs is pretty easy/cheap. The 85lbs cost a pretty penny but had dual benefits at least beyond just weight loss. Besides spending ridiculous money on carbon fiber body panels nothing more i can do though without sacrificing daily driving comforts like stripped interior.

Good point on the pulley.
Ya I recall reading that you can knock off a hundred pounds or so pretty easy but when you start going past that then it starts to impact the basic "necessities" of a DD. You also start to reach a point (i.e. body panels) where the costs goes up and the impact goes down which makes it sort of a diminishing value.
Part of the whole thing is they made these thing pretty damned light to start with. Last winter I ran into an old DSM Club buddy and although he had no idea about the FRS he was saying that he could easily knock 500 hundred pounds off like he did with his 3,600 pound Eclipse. Had to remind him that he saved almost a hundred pounds by just pulling out the soundproofing under the carpet and the massive sub woofer from between the rear seats. Hell, the hood on those things probably weight five or six times what ours do! The Twins just don't have that sort of surplus weight to start with.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #52
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
These heavyweight pushey threads always grow legs lol. Usually once the op is long gone....
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #53
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
The first 100lbs is pretty easy/cheap.
What would that include? Lighter wheels, lighter battery, take out spare tire, remove rear seats?
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #54
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya I recall reading that you can knock off a hundred pounds or so pretty easy but when you start going past that then it starts to impact the basic "necessities" of a DD. You also start to reach a point (i.e. body panels) where the costs goes up and the impact goes down which makes it sort of a diminishing value.
Part of the whole thing is they made these thing pretty damned light to start with. Last winter I ran into an old DSM Club buddy and although he had no idea about the FRS he was saying that he could easily knock 500 hundred pounds off like he did with his 3,600 pound Eclipse. Had to remind him that he saved almost a hundred pounds by just pulling out the soundproofing under the carpet and the massive sub woofer from between the rear seats. Hell, the hood on those things probably weight five or six times what ours do! The Twins just don't have that sort of surplus weight to start with.
Thats very true, in developing a car it ends up being more about weight compensating than actual savings.
The frustration of often needing to add weight to increase performance or function is almost impossible to avoid.
Having said that, I did chase every kilo I could find from the front of the car, so I did go down the lightweight pulley route, among many other things. But the combined cumulative savings (of many smaller/minor things at least go some way to compensating for adding a 27kg lump of supercharger.
I haven't had any ill effects, but there is no possible way that any human could detect any performance improvements from the pulleys themselves.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-30-2021)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #55
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
What would that include? Lighter wheels, lighter battery, take out spare tire, remove rear seats?
Trunk junk
LW battery
DIY Rear seat delete kit (mine provided greater sound deadening)
And most people will do headerback which is expensive but people do it for hp gain and get the free weight with it.

That’s an easy 90lbs.

Assuming the tires you add aren’t heavier, wheels are expensive but people do for looks / wider rubber and get bonus weight loss. For the last 10lbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #56
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
I haven't had any ill effects, but there is no possible way that any human could detect any performance improvements from the pulleys themselves.
I think we are just not taking the right drugs