follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Interested as well, though in less apt to be cutting the metal behind it unless the cooling benefits are significant

It does, there is barely a slot 1/8” wide without cutting.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #16
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought used fender garnish to experiment with. I would love to just slot the stock black trim and cut the back out first. Worse case if it does not look good I can cut it out and put in a new grill. Then I need to match the cuts on the fender. Once I get it, I will start some planning. Any ideas or input?
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I bought used fender garnish to experiment with. I would love to just slot the stock black trim and cut the back out first. Worse case if it does not look good I can cut it out and put in a new grill. Then I need to match the cuts on the fender. Once I get it, I will start some planning. Any ideas or input?
I'm a little concerned opening this up at all will necessitate adding something stronger than 3M tape to hold it on given it's going to be dealing with air pushing out. Love the idea of making them any kind of functional though as fake vents are a real pet peeve of mine.
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
Ernest72

Quote:
I'm a little concerned opening this up at all will necessitate adding something stronger than 3M tape to hold it on given it's going to be dealing with air pushing out. Love the idea of making them any kind of functional though as fake vents are a real pet peeve of mine.
Totally agree. At a first quick look, I would just be looking to remove fender material in between the clip mounting points. Then the tape is added as a secondary. I am going to focus on the garnishes first and what I will do to them. Once I have that idea, I can see how the holes I have made can match up with the fender.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
ThatYeti

Quote:
Totally agree. At a first quick look, I would just be looking to remove fender material in between the clip mounting points. Then the tape is added as a secondary. I am going to focus on the garnishes first and what I will do to them. Once I have that idea, I can see how the holes I have made can match up with the fender.
Maybe using something similar to a brake duct to direct air to the vents so as to provide better cooling an potentially alleviate the pressure against the 'body' of the garnish
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #20
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Air isn't being "pushed out", it's a low pressure region, so technically sucked out. It'll see way less force than a spoiler and that is able to withstand adhesion with just adhesive tape. I wouldn't overthink it. Just make sure the surface is prepped properly and the tape is of good quality.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Air isn't being "pushed out", it's a low pressure region, so technically sucked out. It'll see way less force than a spoiler and that is able to withstand adhesion with just adhesive tape. I wouldn't overthink it. Just make sure the surface is prepped properly and the tape is of good quality.

I'm not an aero expert, but at interstate and above speeds wouldn't it become pressurized? The intent is to vent from the engine compartment correct? On a stock car, there is significant pressure in the engine bay that causes the hood to deflect upward at higher speeds.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #22
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I'm not an aero expert, but at interstate and above speeds wouldn't it become pressurized? The intent is to vent from the engine compartment correct? On a stock car, there is significant pressure in the engine bay that causes the hood to deflect upward at higher speeds.
This is exactly what I was thinking, as everytime i'm on the highway I get uneasy when I see the hood floating up a tiny bit
Old 06-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #23
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Yes it's "pressurized" but it's not as simple as that. The vents will provide some release but it won't fully release the high pressure zone through the side vents the same way hood vents will. Also speaking of hood vents threes a reason they need to be in a particular area in the car to maintain effectiveness. They need to vent in a low pressure region otherwise they would intake vs exhaust. Wicker bills also aid in creating a larger low pressure region to increase their effectiveness. The fender vents will only flow whatever the low pressure region around it will support.

The stock hood is just flimsy aluminum, you're talking about a larger surface area for the pressures to act on. Hence the death rattle.
Wally86 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Yes it's "pressurized" but it's not as simple as that. The vents will provide some release but it won't fully release the high pressure zone through the side vents the same way hood vents will. Also speaking of hood vents threes a reason they need to be in a particular area in the car to maintain effectiveness. They need to vent in a low pressure region otherwise they would intake vs exhaust. Wicker bills also aid in creating a larger low pressure region to increase their effectiveness. The fender vents will only flow whatever the low pressure region around it will support.

The stock hood is just flimsy aluminum, you're talking about a larger surface area for the pressures to act on. Hence the death rattle.

I've been following this thread because functional vents would be baller, of course BUT

I had no idea the hood shaking at highway speeds had a name. I've noticed that over the last 1.5 months ownership and I've thought that maybe the play in the hinge or something needs to be adjusted LOL.

Death Rattle.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #25
Ernest72

My concern is to do this correct, because years ago on the NAsioc forum, I remember someone doing similar things to reduce under hood temps. One finding was that it effectEd the flow over the radiator negatively which is something you don’t want to do unless it’s more flow. I can’t remember what the modification was. I will do some searching of the internet. My feeling is holes in the right place is good, holes in the wrong place is neutral to bad. I don’t want to do this much modification for a DD just because Racecar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #26
RayRay88

Quote:
My concern is to do this correct, because years ago on the NAsioc forum, I remember someone doing similar things to reduce under hood temps. One finding was that it effectEd the flow over the radiator negatively which is something you don’t want to do unless it’s more flow. I can’t remember what the modification was. I will do some searching of the internet. My feeling is holes in the right place is good, holes in the wrong place is neutral to bad. I don’t want to do this much modification for a DD just because Racecar.
I think it's best not to overthink this, it's going to help but don't expect jet streams of hot air to shoot out of these vents or a drastic reduction of under hood pressure/temps. You won't see that without large venting.
Ernest72 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #27
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I did this 2 years ago. Hot air POURS out of them when the engine fans are running. at speed it must be even more.

3M tape is holding them on just fine. Keep in mind that venting the pressure reduces the force imparted on the trim piece.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #28
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I did this 2 years ago. Hot air POURS out of them when the engine fans are running. at speed it must be even more.

3M tape is holding them on just fine. Keep in mind that venting the pressure reduces the force imparted on the trim piece.
Did you cut out any additional metal from the inner fenders?

Tags
diy, fender, vent