follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Hopefully you varied the speed, did not exceed 4,000 rpm except for brief periods and did not use full throttle except in an emergency.

Otherwise you have no wear rings in each bore that may break your rings and yes, Subaru can then prove you wrecked your engine and deny warranty.
That's funny.

I also find it funny that Subaru recommends the SAME procedure "drive carefully for 1k miles", when you change your brake pads.

So if I only drive 500 miles and didn't break in my pads properly, I'm somehow denied warranty.

Let's keep spreading the fear. I'll keep driving my car perfectly fine.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #72
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
That's funny.

I also find it funny that Subaru recommends the SAME procedure "drive carefully for 1k miles", when you change your brake pads.

So if I only drive 500 miles and didn't break in my pads properly, I'm somehow denied warranty.

Let's keep spreading the fear. I'll keep driving my car perfectly fine.

-alex
That has more to do with people who don't follow proper bedding procedures.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #73
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Well, good luck! That is all I have to say to dumb ass response like that.
And your response saying to go directly against Subaru recommendations is more qualified how?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #74
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
That has more to do with people who don't follow proper bedding procedures.
That's kind of my point here... the break-in is a blanket procedure for everyone.

As long as we're not abusing motors when new, there would be no issue. By not following this procedure is no grounds to have your warranty void.

-alex
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #75
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
That's kind of my point here... the break-in is a blanket procedure for everyone.

As long as we're not abusing motors when new, there would be no issue. By not following this procedure is no grounds to have your warranty void.

-alex
I wasn't the one claiming it would void your warranty, but it could reduce the lifespan of your engine. And there's a huge difference between brakes not properly bedded and increased stopping distance, an immediate safety hazard (not that huge, but still) and decreased mechanical reliability, which is much less of a safety hazard than it is a wallet hazard.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #76
mav1178

Quote:
I wasn't the one claiming it would void your warranty, but it could reduce the lifespan of your engine. And there's a huge difference between brakes not properly bedded and increased stopping distance, an immediate safety hazard (not that huge, but still) and decreased mechanical reliability, which is much less of a safety hazard than it is a wallet hazard.
Again.... this is my point. The manual's procedure is so blanket it covers the average driver, not us.

Want to know where else this text shows up in? The manual for my Toyota Camry. My mom's previous Lexus ES300. My roommate's Subaru Outback (2013). My neighbor's Tundra. His other Expedition.

And the worst part? It all covers brakes, too...

My only point on break-in procedures is, if you're the median, average driver, you should follow it. If you're of the "drive it like you stole it" type, I can't help you. If you push your car but know how to drive and maintain it (i.e. not doing full freeway to stop, then washing car), there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

But in the end, do whatever makes you comfortable. Just don't spew out "follow break-in or else warranty void" rhetoric.

-alex
Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #77
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
But in the end, do whatever makes you comfortable. Just don't spew out "follow break-in or else warranty void" rhetoric.
My point is, do whatever makes you comfortable is bad advice. You can do no harm following the manual, and if people are reading this thread for advice, they're getting 30 different opinions from people looking to justify what they've already done versus honest mechanically sound opinions.

People here are not experts, for the most part. Yeah, we know how to buy and bolt on parts, take things apart, put them back together, do a little tuning and have owned multiple cars but most of the opinions I've read are so ridiculously unqualified I don't know where to begin. Saying a harder break-in will give you more horsepower is stupid and completely ignores the mechanical reliability side of the equation.

And for the second time, I never said a hard break in would void a warranty so stop mentioning it when replying to my posts. It's putting words in my mouth.

There is nothing to be lost by following manual break-in procedures. You can say it's better safe than sorry, but saying "well if you're an expert you can do it this way" is beyond stupid, because most of the pseudo-experts on here have posted completely different break-in methods. There is one constant: the manual. You have absolutely nothing to lose by following the manual. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have gas blow-by and excessive oil consumption, or problems from excessive babying.

Again, It's 1000 miles, it's not the end of the world. Be patient.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #78
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
My break-in period was over in about 12 hours upon receipt of the car.

-alex
Just to reiterate for people asking break-in questions, this is exactly the kind of stupid advice you should avoid.

You should also avoid signing all of your posts as if it's two way correspondence, and as if Subaru isn't watching you post dumb things you did with your car in the forums since it's already well documented that they do.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #79
mav1178

Quote:
My point is, do whatever makes you comfortable is bad advice. You can do no harm following the manual, and if people are reading this thread for advice, they're getting 30 different opinions from people looking to justify what they've already done versus honest mechanically sound opinions.
That's kind of the problem, isn't it? People looking to other people on an internet forum for mechanical advice.

I'm not justifying what I'm doing versus honest opinions. I'm just stating, again, that fear-mongering doesn't do anyone any good.

Quote:
And for the second time, I never said a hard break in would void a warranty so stop mentioning it when replying to my posts. It's putting words in my mouth.
I never said anything about a hard break-in. All I said was mine was over on the drive home from Colorado. If I'm saying it and not you, shouldn't it be me putting words in my own mouth?

I quote your post only because I am replying to portions of it. If I have to make multiple posts to get my point across, then so be it, but that's just a waste of bandwidth.

Quote:
There is nothing to be lost by following manual break-in procedures.
Completely agreed. I also should add:

"... also nothing to fear if you do not for purposes of warranty coverage. As long as you're not 'abusing' your car according to warranty stipulations set by Subaru/Toyota."

The problem here is, the "abuse/neglect" part of the warranty is open to interpretation, between the consumer and the dealer, and the consumer/lawyer and the manufacturer if it goes to court.

In any case, if one wants to play it safe, just follow procedures to a T.

Quote:
Just to reiterate for people asking break-in questions, this is exactly the kind of stupid advice you should avoid.

You should also avoid signing all of your posts as if it's two way correspondence, and as if Subaru isn't watching you post dumb things you did with your car in the forums since it's already well documented that they do.
Yes, my advice is stupid, please avoid my advice and follow what the manual says. Also, don't abuse your car as that voids warranty too. Also, don't race or track the car ever, as that voids warranty too.

And in case Subaru of America is watching:

I live in 91745 with a white BRZ Limited. My name is Alex and the only mod I have on my engine/drivetrain is a K&N intake filter.

If you deny me engine warranty because of this mod, I will sue you (Subaru) for what I am due.

Thanks.

-alex
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #80
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
I am a lawyer and I can tell you the cops up here think they can use this data and our state legislation says they can. I think it is unconstitutional but until someone pays to have our Supreme Court rule on it, its useable. Scary stuff. Americans should be upset about this also. The ABS data recorder was only permitted for research on airbag effectiveness be careful what of let your government approve of.
Like I said, not a lawyer, but I did mention the data requires a warrant, now, I don't live in the US, but I suppose in some instances a police request would suffice. Either way, that will happen when you have a crash, what we are talking about is Toyota/Subaru denying warranty based on driving history which I doubt they could use against you unless you give them permission to read it in the first place.

Now, giving permission is the cloudy part because if they ask you, do you want us to inspect your vehicle to fix this claim, does that mean you are also giving them permission to look up your driving data? :P

(Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, it's hard for me to explain things sometime).
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #81
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
And your response saying to go directly against Subaru recommendations is more qualified how?
I didn't say directly against....nah forget it.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #82
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
That's kind of the problem, isn't it? People looking to other people on an internet forum for mechanical advice.

I'm not justifying what I'm doing versus honest opinions. I'm just stating, again, that fear-mongering doesn't do anyone any good.
Funny, I never took following simple instructions to be fear mongering.

Stating that a hard break-in can lead to excessive oil consumption and gas blow-by among other issues down the road isn't fear mongering either, it's fact.

You pretty much admit that you don't recommend what you did and yet, you won't shut up about it. Stop rationalizing.

And for the 4th time, it won't kill your warranty.