follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Sambo FRS

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
About to go get the TRD Exhaust, CAI & Air Filter. What to expect?

Well I've had my FRS for two glorious weeks now, and Im about to go and get my TRD exhaust, CAI, and air filter installed (due to the dealership forgetting to order the parts until days before the car arrived on rail..........)

I know there's threads here on the TRD parts that show the dyno gains and whatnot, Im aware of the search feature. But I dont think I've read one post about how noticeable the difference would be with the car going from stock, to all three upgrades installed, and how the car "feels" and how much of an upgrade to the sound there would be.

I've got the 7 year extended warranty, so there's nothing but TRD going in here, which is a but of a drag of course, but Im hoping to see a bit of gain in power, and a big upgrade to the sound department. Am I far off base?
Sambo FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sambo FRS For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
tjohnson104

Drives: brz
so really its only 2 objects going in the car? the exhaust and cai. Most cai's will come with a air filter. and since you said all trd, then the trd cai will come with a super super big air filter. I have a brz and bought the same trd goodies also. exhaust will be here wensday, cant wait. But the cai is awesome. there is like a 20 page thread about it. all good positive reviews so far
tjohnson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I hope they didn't order you the regular panel filter if you ordered the TRD intake (bigger airbox, straight inlet pipe)... the filter for the TRD intake is much bigger than stock.

As for gains, you'll be looking at about 10hp max with the intake and exhaust, you might feel it but you'll notice the sound more than the power probably.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Deathreaper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just installed TRD CAI, light weight crank pulley + TRD cat back exhaust (last week). So far I noticed that the car pulls harder and the engine revs more freely. The interior is actually at the same noise level (if not lower) because you remove the sound tube. Highway cruising is a lot more quite, which is a great thing.
Deathreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathreaper For This Useful Post:
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just had my TRD exhaust installed today. Love it! TRD intake will hopefully be in soon.
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Trd intake took me 30 minutes to install in the parking lot of a Fuddruckers. Order one on eBay and save the installation costs. All you need is an 8mm and 10mm socket. Plus a pair of pliers to release a a tiny circular clamp.
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo FRS View Post

I've got the 7 year extended warranty, so there's nothing but TRD going in here, which is a but of a drag of course, but Im hoping to see a bit of gain in power, and a big upgrade to the sound department. Am I far off base?

I have never listened to the TRD stuff for this car. What I can tell you to expect is to overpay for the name brand and get regular or less than regular performance gains.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (05-25-2013), Lverasky (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I have never heard or listen to the TRD stuff for this car. What I can tell you to expect is to overpay for the name brand and get regular or less than regular performance gains.
+1
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
TRD CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson104 View Post
so really its only 2 objects going in the car? the exhaust and cai. Most cai's will come with a air filter. and since you said all trd, then the trd cai will come with a super super big air filter. I have a brz and bought the same trd goodies also. exhaust will be here wensday, cant wait. But the cai is awesome. there is like a 20 page thread about it. all good positive reviews so far
I installed only the TRD CAI and others are claiming slight dyno gains. My experience is a more linear throttle response and smoother torque at lower RPMs. I was happy to see the sound tube gone; the TRD eliminates that while one now can hear real engine sounds. The exhaust should provide a bit more noise and a few more HP. TRD claims 8 to 10 for the combo. Don't expect dramatic HP gains. You will or should experience drivability gains. One more PLUS: it doesn't void your warranty and they're fifty state legal. No-ones bolt on stuff will give you more than a modest increase in HP. The hype is just noise.
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red2Liter For This Useful Post:
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Sambo FRS

Quote:
I have never listened to the TRD stuff for this car. What I can tell you to expect is to overpay for the name brand and get regular or less than regular performance gains.
Of course its to be expected that the TRD parts are not going to be as good as some of the other aftermarket parts, but you have to be the first to tell me I'll have "less than regular performance"... That cant possibly be true?

And money is of no concern really when it comes to aftermarket parts, it's my warranty that I'd like to preserve and so the extra money Im shelling out for TRD seems well worth it imo. Money might not be tight for me, but I certainly still believe in keeping my assets protected, so basically its like having my cake and eating it to in regards to having a brand new car with some aftermarket mods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sambo FRS For This Useful Post:
Ruckus (05-25-2013), rxpx2012 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Of course its to be expected that the TRD parts are not going to be as good as some of the other aftermarket parts, but you have to be the first to tell me I'll have "less than regular performance"... That cant possibly be true?

And money is of no concern really when it comes to aftermarket parts, it's my warranty that I'd like to preserve and so the extra money Im shelling out for TRD seems well worth it imo. Money might not be tight for me, but I certainly still believe in keeping my assets protected, so basically its like having my cake and eating it to in regards to having a brand new car with some aftermarket mods.
I totally respect your train of thought and I completely agree in the matter that you want to keep your full warranty. When I say less the regular performance, I am not pointing my fingers specifically at the FRS parts, but in general TRD parts and I'm not meaning your car will not work properly. What I mean is that when compared to other top performers, the amount of performance gains you get out of the parts usually is not one of the higher ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Lverasky (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Sambo FRS

Quote:
I totally respect your train of thought and I completely agree in the matter that you want to keep your full warranty. When I say less the regular performance, I am not pointing my fingers specifically at the FRS parts, but in general TRD parts and I'm not meaning your car will not work properly. What I mean is that when compared to other top performers, the amount of performance gains you get out of the parts usually is not one of the higher ones.
Ah fair enough, and thats more or less what I expected. For myself I guess Im okay with performance for warranty trade off you get with TRD. And really, aside from a turbo, nothing is going drastically improve my performance, so the marginal difference between the aftermarket stuff doesn't bother me. Hoping TRD decides to release a turbo kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sambo FRS For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Ah fair enough, and thats more or less what I expected. For myself I guess Im okay with performance for warranty trade off you get with TRD. And really, aside from a turbo, nothing is going drastically improve my performance, so the marginal difference between the aftermarket stuff doesn't bother me. Hoping TRD decides to release a turbo kit.
I think it's probable they will release down the line a SC more reachable to the average Joe than the one they already offer. I'm sorry I kind of derailed the thread, didn't mean to. Hope you enjoy your new mods!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It sounds like you're backtracking. If the person stated from the onset that they are only going to use TRD parts; why even bring up the comparison to other parts and insinuate they're foolish to "overpay" for a lesser performance part? They asked a specific question, yet you state nothing constructive, without any experience with the aforementioned TRD FR-S parts, and slight the person on top of that. That sure as hell isn't respectful.

"Hey guys, I really want to buy these red apples since I'm allergic to the green ones, anyone had em before?"
-"No, never had them, but the green apples are bigger and cheaper, a way better value."

To the OP; Motor Trend has a long term FR-S they update about once a month on their website and did installed both TRD pieces.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-scion...#axzz2Qed9YUf9

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-scion...rs-367231.html

They show a 0.2 second decrease in quarter mile times and a one tenth decrease in 0-60 acceleration. Could just be the engine broken in, a cooler day, or a better driver. Taken from the article:

Quote:
Most of us weren’t expecting to see any performance increase from the mods, and some even thought that the car might actually be slower with the new TRD parts.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
Sambo FRS (05-25-2013)