follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It must be a miracle that i survived driving so many rwd sports cars growing up in the days before traction control, skid control, and even abs in a case or two...

I'm not advocating people drive like Initial D on public roads, but seriously, if you NEED traction and stability control on a 200hp rwd car to keep from hurting other drivers, property, or yourself then you really need to learn how to drive.

@Red2Liter, I do the hold "trac off" for 5 seconds most of the time. It did still act up on me a tiny bit at my last track day but not enough to worry about, it was only when clipping gators right before a hard breaking zone. At my last drift event it acted up a good with with "trac off" for 5 second. For the next drift event i am going to pull the abs fuse or do the pedal dance depending on run group timing etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2Liter View Post
Nope, Not Chris Harris.
Then slow down.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to so26 For This Useful Post:
supramkivtt2jz (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've already said that turning the nannies off doesn't really turn them off. it just raises the engagement threshold. I find that mode to be a perfectly acceptable, safe mode in which to drive except under VERY slick conditions. I'm neither foolhardy nor do I consider myself immortal. So why did you folks buy this car, one which has such a great performance envelope? This is clearly a fruitless conversation, perhaps a Prius is the more appropriate choice for you, or did you just buy it for the image it projects?
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If after trying the "pedal dance" the car still does not feel right try changing the diff. oil. I noticed that after changing mine to Motul 300 that the LSD engagement improved. If none of this helps there might be something wrong with your car.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Red2Liter what cars are you used to?

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Red2Liter

TC & VSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by so26 View Post
If after trying the "pedal dance" the car still does not feel right try changing the diff. oil. I noticed that after changing mine to Motul 300 that the LSD engagement improved. If none of this helps there might be something wrong with your car.
Thanks! I've got about 6 K on the car. Thought I'd get a few more miles on the transmission and the Diff. The transmission is already improved for smoothness with every mile of use.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Autocross: Everything off

All other times: Everything on (unless intentionally hooning)

Sport mode: Worthless, too intrusive to have fun
Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
Red2Liter

TC & VSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
@Red2Liter what cars are you used to?
I've driven or raced everything from Mini-Coopers (the originals) to Porsches & BMW's. Recently I've been driving AWD Subaru's. Still transitioning back to front engine/rear drive. Each drive layout has its' own unique handling character. The BRZ is inherently neutral, though it can be persuaded to oversteer. I feel most comfortable with trailing throttle oversteer; nothing quite as comforting as walking the rear out gently by easing off the throttle and being able to stop the oversteer by getting into the gas. Just a personal preference that is probably the safest solution for most folks. Of course the driver needs to be aware of what the car is communicating.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Strange. My V8 pony doesn't have TC or even LSD. Hasn't made me spin off the road yet. All these nannies on cars these days are goofy to me. It masks the real problem: drivers with no sense of responsibility. TC or not, there's no reason to drive like an ass on the streets. Morons kill people, not turning off some settings.

OP, there is a device for 08+ WRX/STi that lets you program the TC state when turning on the car. Not sure if it's available for this car, but I believe it was called "Setting Saver". Meaning if you normally have TC off, you can just turn it on when desired instead of the other way around. Might be worth looking into, maybe they can work out automating the pedal dance for those who track regularly.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Welp, the mods decided delete all posts relating to me pointing out that youre obviously breaking laws on public roads.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
Welp, the mods decided delete all posts relating to me pointing out that youre obviously breaking laws on public roads.
Just a guess, but it probably had something to do with the manner in which you chose to point it out.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
Red2Liter

TC & VSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Just a guess, but it probably had something to do with the manner in which you chose to point it out.
Yes, you certainly had good reason to be sensitive the subject, but to assume that a 71 yr-old experienced driver was some kind of a idiot was a bit of a reach. I've decided to not take it personally; I know the manner in which I drive responsibly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red2Liter For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Holding the trac button for 5 seconds turns off everything except ABS I believe. Works for me, although I can understand how that'd be annoying while drifting. Meh, so what if I like a litte tire spin occasionally. I only do it in situations where EVEN IF I crashed I'd only injure myself. I hate VSC sport, it feels like it does nothing...
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Shift View Post
Holding the trac button for 5 seconds turns off everything except ABS I believe. Works for me, although I can understand how that'd be annoying while drifting. Meh, so what if I like a litte tire spin occasionally. I only do it in situations where EVEN IF I crashed I'd only injure myself. I hate VSC sport, it feels like it does nothing...
Sadly, it does not turn off everything. Not even the pedal dance does. The pedal dance is the closest you can get to zero nannies without defeating ABS.