follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driver side window/switch issue

Just to start things off, this has nothing to do with cold temperatures/ice/etc. I am aware of the switch reset process, the problem is that the drivers side switches go into fault mode (flashing, no control of passenger side, loss of one touch function on drivers side) just about every time the drivers side window moves, including the movement from opening/closing the door.

The biggest problem this is causing is that when I go to get out the window either goes all the way down (open) when it is supposed to move that little bit, or when it moves that little bit back up when I close the door it closes all the way and then proceeds to open all the way.

My door was off when it was recently repaired, so I thought maybe the harness isn't plugged in properly, or the switch assembly was somehow damaged, but it resets normally so I am thinking it might be something inside the door (I reset my ECU last night, no change). Are there sensors or anything in there that might have gotten out of line when they had it apart?
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
Just to start things off, this has nothing to do with cold temperatures/ice/etc. I am aware of the switch reset process, the problem is that the drivers side switches go into fault mode (flashing, no control of passenger side, loss of one touch function on drivers side) just about every time the drivers side window moves, including the movement from opening/closing the door.

The biggest problem this is causing is that when I go to get out the window either goes all the way down (open) when it is supposed to move that little bit, or when it moves that little bit back up when I close the door it closes all the way and then proceeds to open all the way.

My door was off when it was recently repaired, so I thought maybe the harness isn't plugged in properly, or the switch assembly was somehow damaged, but it resets normally so I am thinking it might be something inside the door (I reset my ECU last night, no change). Are there sensors or anything in there that might have gotten out of line when they had it apart?
The glass is probably slightly out of alignment with the guides and jams up just enough to trigger the failsafe. @Ultramaroon may be able to help.
MRCA1ST (03-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The glass is probably slightly out of alignment with the guides and jams up just enough to trigger the failsafe. @Ultramaroon may be able to help.
Agreed. Too repetitive for just a loose connection.

MCRA1ST, if you roll the window halfway down and open/close, can you get the window switch to go into fault mode, or only when it is trying the tiny window trim clearance maneuver?
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
MRCA1ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanodd View Post
Agreed. Too repetitive for just a loose connection.

MCRA1ST, if you roll the window halfway down and open/close, can you get the window switch to go into fault mode, or only when it is trying the tiny window trim clearance maneuver?

Yeah, it goes into fault mode with just about any movement.

It actually got worse over the weekend, the switch for the drivers side is basically non-responsive, unless I push it in conjunction with the passenger switch, then it can get the window moving - but I haven't been able to get it to reset. It is going to the shop that did the repair tomorrow, hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
MRCA1ST

Shop pulled the panel, didn't see anything out of line, put it back together and now everything is working fine. It has been tested throughout the day and is not faulting. They said if it comes back they will order a new switch but they don't know what else it could be.