follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Philly Hit and run my Subaru BRZ rear ended

On February 27th my Subaru BRZ was rear ended by another driver. My rear camera caught the entire incident. My vehicle sustained major rear damage. I was forced to chase them to get their insurance. There insurance company "American Independent Insurance Company" has YET to still resolve my claim. I have a claim #, and nobody has YET to contact me. I have left multiple messages with my claims adjuster and his supervisor, but nobody is willing to help resolve my claim.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJSeMVGmaVo"]Philly Hit and Run - My Subaru BRZ rear ended - YouTube[/ame]
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
On February 27th my Subaru BRZ was rear ended by another driver. My rear camera caught the entire incident. My vehicle sustained major rear damage. I was forced to chase them to get their insurance. There insurance company "American Independent Insurance Company" has YET to still resolve my claim. I have a claim #, and nobody has YET to contact me. I have left multiple messages with my claims adjuster and his supervisor, but nobody is willing to help resolve my claim.

contact your insurance and let them deal with it. they have attorneys for that. that's what you pay them for!
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (03-12-2016), ka-t_240 (03-14-2016), khantran04 (03-12-2016), Summerwolf (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
contact your insurance and let them deal with it. they have attorneys for that. that's what you pay them for!
i did, but i would have to pay my deductible. which i may never recover back. why go thru mine when they hit me? that's absurd.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
shagoth

Drives: ICE Silver 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
This. You should have left it to your insurance company to begin with since you are undoubtedly carrying comprehensive. Your car would be fixed and you would be without the worries of who is paying for what.
shagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
i did, but i would have to pay my deductible. which i may never recover back. why go thru mine when they hit me? that's absurd.

Alot of ****heads in Philly are like this, hit someone then run away and then PPD does absolutely nothing.

I'd say do this:

1)File a hit a run police report with this video, even in this case where it was a failed attempt
2) Get the police report number call your insurance company give them this video and the police report number, also call the hit and run drivers insurance company:https://www.aiico.com/subpage3.html
3) Let the insurance company deal with it, and possibly have to pay the deductible it's way better than nothing and letting that scum get away scot free
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 03-12-2016 at 02:34 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (03-12-2016), Summerwolf (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
morswestford

yes of course i filed a police report. unfortunately the police do not get involved with rear end collisions since there are no injuries. i talked to several officers and they all said they just leave it to the insurance companies to handle.

yes i have insurance but it's a high deductable. and that deductable may never be recovered through their insurance because they may not even have enough coverage. it's some unknown insurance provider, notorious for not paying out claims or making people wait months to get it resolved. i shouldn't have to go through my own insurance when im not at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Alot of ****heads in Philly are like this, hit someone then run away and then PPD does absolutely nothing.

I'd say do this:

1)File a hit a run police report with this video, teven in this case where it was a failed attemp
2) Get the police report number call your insurance company give them this video and the police report number, also call the hit and run drivers insurance company:https://www.aiico.com/subpage3.html
3) Let the insurance company deal with it, and possibly have to pay the deductible it's way better than nothing and letting that scum get away scot free
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Yes, I agree you SHOULDN'T, but it sounds like you have to at this point.

Also, police not getting involved for a rear end accident hit and run? BS....
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-11-2016), hmong337 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Yes, I agree you SHOULDN'T, but it sounds like you have to at this point.

Also, police not getting involved for a rear end accident hit and run? BS....

i had to chase them to get their insurance. they eventually stopped. so yes it was a hit and run, until it wasn't. maybe its a legal gray area. who knows.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
i had to chase them to get their insurance. they eventually stopped. so yes it was a hit and run, until it wasn't. maybe its a legal gray area. who knows.

It isn't a grey area. Were you on the phone with cops while chasing them down? I think I would have been.

Got video footage from the front cam while you were chasing? Got pics of damage?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
frznBRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wow what a d*ck!
frznBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Options:
Get a lawyer (big bucks)
Get your insurance to deal with it (they will get your money and deductible should never even come into play)
Keep calling the other company (obviously not working)
Or just give up and pay out of pocket.

What "should" happen and what does happen are rarely the same thing. Your insurance company represents you in a no fault even if they are not paying for the repairs. You pay for that service.

I also think that you may have a different definition than I as to what constitutes "major" damage from what I saw in the video.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-12-2016), Summerwolf (03-11-2016), Toyarzee (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't care what state you're in, if it's a hit and run with any kind of real property damage, I thought it was a misdemeanor. If you file a police report and have the ability to press charges, I thought the police would have to become involved and it can't be a hands-off type deal...?

Did the perp have all his papers granted insurance Co is a shady bitch?

Edit: what @Tcoat said ^^
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
morswestford

I already called a lawyer and evaluating my options. I just wish they would resolve my claim and not drag this out. I even sent them a video of them hitting me. I shouldn't have to my pay my deductible. and go through my insurance. They should pay me for the damages and just fix my car.
It's possible my insurance could possibly get my deductible back through a process called subrogation but that process could take months and there is even a risk they may not be able to recover it. Why go through the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Options:
Get a lawyer (big bucks)
Get your insurance to deal with it (they will get your money and deductible should never even come into play)
Keep calling the other company (obviously not working)
Or just give up and pay out of pocket.

What "should" happen and what does happen are rarely the same thing. Your insurance company represents you in a no fault even if they are not paying for the repairs. You pay for that service.

I also think that you may have a different definition than I as to what constitutes "major" damage from what I saw in the video.
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #14
morswestford

police said they dont get involved in these types of accidents. even if its there fault. they only get involved if someone is injured. i am pretty much beholden to the insurance company. the police ran the plate and confirmed the registration of the vehicle and address. i could go to small claims court. or wait for their insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
I don't care what state you're in, if it's a hit and run with any kind of real property damage, I thought it was a misdemeanor. If you file a police report and have the ability to press charges, I thought the police would have to become involved and it can't be a hands-off type deal...?

Did the perp have all his papers granted insurance Co is a shady bitch?

Edit: what @Tcoat said ^^

Tags
aiico, brz, hit and run