follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #141
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
I guess its one of those things I wont know until they get it out and can look, I've not had any functional issues thus far.
The TOB is a very common failure on these cars. I would highly suggest having it replaced while apart. There is not much to "look at" with them. They would have to remove and try spinning by hand to see how the bearing feels. It could feel file to them, and then fail in 3 weeks.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-20-2019), slizoth (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #142
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaziekeller View Post
I took mine in about a week ago. The valve spring repair is done, but they broke a cam position sensor, so its waiting for that before I get it back. I had them replace the spark plugs, but they tagged on a few hours of labor as well, which I agreed to pay. I asked a few times about the TOB but they seemed to ignore my request. I'll know more in a few weeks once they get the sensor in and want me to pick it up. Mine is an early 13, and it has 85.5k miles. That is all of the preventative maintenance I could think of, especially since I bought a new DD and won't rely on my FR-S as my only transportation.
I got my car back today. No labor on the spark plugs afterall. They didn't do the TOB tho ��. The part damaged was an oil control valve/variable valve timing solenoid. Once it came in the car was ready (about a month delay). The car seems to run fine. Actually idles smoother than it has in a long time. I haven't beaten on it at all yet. After I got home (30min drive then car sat for an hour), the car would crank, fire, then immediately die. This went in for 10-15 tries before I gave up (disconnected the battery trying to reset the ECU after about 5 tries). Then about 30mins later, it cranked, fired, and idled like a kitten. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue ��*♂️. I called my dealership and reported it though in case it becomes a reoccurring issue.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #143
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3188530 please leave an entry here if you have time and had engine failure shortly after the recall work was performed.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #144
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Update on mine... it died on me on the interstate at 80mph ~3500rpm. I got a CEL when it died. P1235, high pressure fuel pump circuit. I went to data log it the next day and it seemed to breakup above 3500rpm and go into "fuel cut" for lack of a better way to describe it. The fuel pressures looked good tho.

The next day, I checked the connectors for the high pressure/direct injector control unit, and blew them out. Then I checked the bolts. They were snug, but not tight. That controller grounds to the bracket. After tightening. I reset the ECU and cleared the trouble codes. I've driven almost 100mi since, with plenty of WOT runs and trying to recreate the conditions of the issues and I have not had any problems. Just my .02.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #145
TYinhouse

Drives: Scion FRS Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterParker View Post
I just had my valve spring recall taken care of earlier this week. I also had them replace spark plugs which I provided with no labor cost. At 70k, my TOB was scary loud so I had them replace that along with a new clutch. Clutch and TOB had a discounted labor cost.

Clutch engagement point seems slightly higher than I remember... not a big difference though.
what is the labor cost of changing clutch and TOB?
TYinhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #146
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcanddohc View Post
Ran fine no CEL or any sign of internal damage. I think this is a case of we will never know for sure. I am really pissed about it but not really sure what I can do.
Why are you 'really pissed' about getting 75% of a brand new engine replaced for free?
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ORrooster For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-26-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #147
sohcanddohc

Drives: 18 Civic Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
Why are you 'really pissed' about getting 75% of a brand new engine replaced for free?
For one thing I do not know when or how this damage happened. It ran fine with no known issues when I last drove it. The dealership say “it must have happened when the tech turned it off after pulling into the service bay” What are the chances of that?

I also had to call the dealership every week to find out what they were doing to the car, it like they didn’t really want me to know. Once I found out that I was only getting one new head I called corporate to find out what I needed to do to have the other head replaced at the same time. The next call back I got was to tell me the car was ready to be picked up. I am not happy with how it all went down. They need to be better prepared for worst case issues like mine.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:57 AM   #148
Octane

Drives: FRS
This is what I generally recommend:
Spark Plugs (no labor)
Drive belt (no labor)
T/O Bearing and inspect/clean snout 0.5hour labor (if snout needs to be replace then 1.5hour labor)
Clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate 1.5hour

....Service items your car is due for minus oil change, spark plugs, coolant because thats all included in the recall. So like a 60K, i would recommend brake flush, air filters, cabin air filter, rotation, brake inspection, drain refill trans, drain refill diff and just a general good look over the whole vehicle.
Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Octane For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #149
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
This is what I generally recommend:
Spark Plugs (no labor)
Drive belt (no labor)
T/O Bearing and inspect/clean snout 0.5hour labor (if snout needs to be replace then 1.5hour labor)
Clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate 1.5hour

....Service items your car is due for minus oil change, spark plugs, coolant because thats all included in the recall. So like a 60K, i would recommend brake flush, air filters, cabin air filter, rotation, brake inspection, drain refill trans, drain refill diff and just a general good look over the whole vehicle.
You forgot hoses. There are also some seals and if you're over 100k like me maybe timing chain tensioner and slippers.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #150
Octane

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
You forgot hoses. There are also some seals and if you're over 100k like me maybe timing chain tensioner and slippers.
Well hoses are not really necessary unless it looks like its heat stressed and gonna break on ya. And most are not necessary to replace unless there is a leak.

The rebuild kit comes with all the seals you need. Unless you're talking about valve seals. I have never have to replace chain slippers. Tensioners yeah probably. Most of that depending on mileage. You dont want to scare the customer away either.
Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Octane For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #151
Tacticalpanda

Drives: 2013 frs
Just scheduled my service. Dealer is charging me 1 hour of labor to do the Throw out bearing and belt, both of which I'm purchasing from them, and they are letting me bring in my own clutch to replace. Sadly I paid to have the spark plugs replaced a few months ago when doing another service before I knew about this recall otherwise they offered to change those within the 1 hour of service as well.
Tacticalpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tacticalpanda For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #152
pd

Drives: na
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
having the work done and other than the usual the are suggesting a few other things:

1. said cam carrier/towers are leaking $900
2. throttle body/efi system is carboned $249 (this one sounds suspicious to me)
pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #153
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
valve spring recall/ additional work performed when engine is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd View Post
having the work done and other than the usual the are suggesting a few other things:

1. said cam carrier/towers are leaking $900

2. throttle body/efi system is carboned $249 (this one sounds suspicious to me)

Did you have oil contamination in your engine bay? If not I sort of call BS. I’ve never had a leak that didn’t create a big ass mess of the engine bay somewhere. Hot oil blows all over the place and collects dirt. Also on a boxer oil leaks tend to drop on the header and burn which is hard to miss.

Also $240 is a steep price for carb cleaner.

Last edited by ermax; 03-08-2019 at 09:44 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #154
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Got mine back from dealer / recall work this morning. I had requested they replace plugs, check TOB and replace if needed. I mentioned that I had done a great amount of research from forums regarding the recall. I even left a copy of the diagram posted on this site regarding the issue with the sealant on the passenger seat. ...........
When i picked it up, they charged me for the plugs and nothing on the paperwork regarding checking the TOB.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote