follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Delicious E85 FlexFuel kit - close proximity of fuel line to engine block

I just had the Delicious E85 FlexFuel kit installed a few weeks ago, this one here: https://www.delicioustuning.com/flexfuel

I was taking a look under the hood this weekend and noticed that the new nylon fuel line that gets added off the OEM line is resting pretty close to the blistering hot engine block. It seems like things would go very wrong very quickly if they touched. Is there any danger of it being so close? I'm thinking engine movement during acceleration/cornering, etc.

Would gold DEI tape be a good idea here? Can anyone else with this kit chime in with observations or a few pics of how your line looks? There's not a whole lot of space in this area to route the line unfortunately.

@The Racers Line @Sapphireho @Tcoat @sales@delicioustuning.com
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy

Last edited by Clipdat; 04-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I've never seen an issue routed correctly. Tuck the oem hard end behind the bracket behind the ABS unit, and you'll be just fine.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
That is why they invented TyWraps, And fire sleve.

https://imgur.com/gallery/e7Oo0
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I tried to tuck it back behind what I'm guessing is the ABS unit earlier and secured it with another zip tie. Took some pics of how it's sitting currently. It moved it a little further away from the engine block but it's still pretty close. I'm just not seeing a great way to route it through this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've never seen an issue routed correctly. Tuck the oem hard end behind the bracket behind the ABS unit, and you'll be just fine.
Those sleeves look interesting, it appears to be the same material that's around my Perrin oil cooler lines. Also, your version with the extra sensor has better routing to begin with. Because of the sensor, the line itself is different/shorter and routes more neatly than mine does.

I wasn't aware that additional thermal management was recommended/advised with this kit. I thought it was an out of box/plug and go setup. But the proximity of that line next to the engine is just making me nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
That is why they invented TyWraps, And fire sleve.
Attached Images

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Even the auto ignite point of gasoline is around 500 degrees. I think e85 is about 100 degrees cooler. So nothing to worry about, just wrap it in something so that it doesn't chafe the line, you can put some heat tape on it if it makes you feel more comfortable.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I tried to tuck it back behind what I'm guessing is the ABS unit earlier and secured it with another zip tie. Took some pics of how it's sitting currently. It moved it a little further away from the engine block but it's still pretty close. I'm just not seeing a great way to route it through this area.
I would move the line to the other side where you have it tied now. Then on the front of the ABS unit there is a bracket below that holds the ABS unit. Put a TyWrap around that, Then put another one around that ty and the line. This will secure the FWD part of the line. That is the way I had mine secured prior to the + kit and AVO turbo.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Having a hard time understanding what you mean exactly, or how that would get it further away from the engine block. Need a photo or something to see what you mean. Also, if I try routing it like how you are describing, it'll push the bend of the nylon line further forward and then it'll be near/in contact with my oil cooler lines which I don't want either.

I might just get something like this and put it around the lines for peace of mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I would move the line to the other side where you have it tied now. Then on the front of the ABS unit there is a bracket below that holds the ABS unit. Put a TyWrap around that, Then put another one around that ty and the line. This will secure the FWD part of the line. That is the way I had mine secured prior to the + kit and AVO turbo.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Even the auto ignite point of gasoline is around 500 degrees. I think e85 is about 100 degrees cooler. So nothing to worry about, just wrap it in something so that it doesn't chafe the line, you can put some heat tape on it if it makes you feel more comfortable.
I run my kit bare, and I have a turbocharger under my hood.

You don't need to worry provided the lines are routed per the instructions provided!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
Grady

Garage
I would have to aggree with CGS. As long as the lines are not chafing you are good. Those lines are roubust even though they do not look it. My clean and secure OCD kicks in. Too many years of aircraft where nothing is left loose or touching where it can chafe ever!