follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
SoCal996JT

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
EL header is traditional sound for a 4 cylinder
UEL header is classic subaru boxer rumble , dropped cylinder beat, similar to wrx.

EL header generally produce a couple more peak horsepower
UEL header generally produce more low/mid-range power/torque but can fall a couple of hp short in top end compared to EL header.

Tomei, gruppe-s , jdl , openflash etc are all good headers

Plenty of flash & go, or off the shelf tunes for these headers.

These headers arround the 500-700 mark and a tune with ecutek or OFT about $500 so arround $1000 with tune.

Nameless, p-tuning and ACE are the higher priced ones.

ACE probably the best but is expensive and you will need a custom tune to get best results from it, produces the best of both el/uel header power/torque. (its EL so you get EL sound.)

These headers about 1300-1500 and then you probably looking about $800 plus for custom tune

so over double the money but gain is maybe 5hp or so, if you want the best then go for it.

thanks Steve99. I have to think about all the options and make a solid decision since this will also be my daily driver.
SoCal996JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I think a supercharger is a bit out there wouldn't you say? He's just now wanting to get into bolt ons and spending 5k+ for these superchargers might be a little excessive. With that being said I believe everyone here on the forum would agree that Header, Intake (drop-in), and a tune nets the most bolt-on horsepower besides switching gas. Don't get me wrong those superchargers are possibly the best on the market right now and correct me if i'm wrong but can't the Jackson Racing be tuned with a OFT?
I've seen a bunch of people on this forum say that they spent a couple thousand on basic bolt-ons (header, exhaust, tune, etc.) and wish they had just saved that money for FI. If he's specifically looking for power in the midrange, bolt-ons won't do too much, about 10 lbs-ft average from 3000-5000 RPM. That's less than a 10% improvement.

Whereas a supercharger will gain more than 60 lbs-ft average from 3000-5000 RPM, or almost 50% improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think bolt-ons make nice gains on these cars, but it's more a matter of managing expectations. IMO if he wants significant gains in the midrange, saving for FI is the way to go, but if he just wants small gains, basic NA mods would suffice.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
SoCal996JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
What're you going to do with the car? Any plans to do track events or autocross?

Congrats btw!

Thanks!!!! I plan on taking it to a few local tracks, I have the Corvette track about 15 minutes from my house and plan on doing a few events, keep it mind it will be daily driven as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
SoCal996JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
In general for these cars most UEL headers powerwise give more gains in middle, less on top. Vice versa for EL, hence UEL might be more fit for daily driving, EL - for track racing, as there one usually keeps in high powerband anyway.
Except maybe that current 'top' header Aceheader 4-2-1 type 350 is of EL design yet it gains a lot in middle too, essentially best of both worlds (at high price though) .

I'm leaning towards the UEL and ok with giving up a little up top, plus I like the rumble the UEL creates. But I have to start with the exhaust first
Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #19
SoCal996JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
If you want significantly more power in the midrange, I'd save up for an Edelbrock or JR supercharger, or ideally turbo if you know what you're doing. Basic NA mods (header, tune, etc.) are fine if you just want a little more in the midrange, but you need to wind it out to redline to reap the full 20-25 whp gain.

Think specifically what area you want to address and mod accordingly.

As to UEL vs. EL, I prefer the UEL sound. But I would be willing to sacrifice that sound for one specific EL header - Ace. Seems to be the best header on the market from a performance standpoint.

Why did you show me this option??? that would cure everything!!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've seen a bunch of people on this forum say that they spent a couple thousand on basic bolt-ons (header, exhaust, tune, etc.) and wish they had just saved that money for FI. If he's specifically looking for power in the midrange, bolt-ons won't do too much, about 10 lbs-ft average from 3000-5000 RPM. That's less than a 10% improvement.

Whereas a supercharger will gain more than 60 lbs-ft average from 3000-5000 RPM, or almost 50% improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think bolt-ons make nice gains on these cars, but it's more a matter of managing expectations. IMO if he wants significant gains in the midrange, saving for FI is the way to go, but if he just wants small gains, basic NA mods would suffice.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you're wrong. Personally FI might be something I personally will save up for in the future, but that's not what I'm working on my car as of yet. I don't find the need for extra power. I'm not street racing on the street and need 400whp to be the "street monster" I am personally working on Suspension/handling components first, then athsetics, and power last. I think power, especially engine mods, are stupid if you still have a warranty on a car. I would rather pay 5k in suspension/handling/weight saving mods and will enjoy the car soo much better than I would with 5k on a single FI kit.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
SoCal996JT

Quote:

Wouldn't the entire combination work best with all?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #22
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal996JT View Post
Thanks!!!! I plan on taking it to a few local tracks, I have the Corvette track about 15 minutes from my house and plan on doing a few events, keep it mind it will be daily driven as well.
Then I suggest tracking before doing any serious modifications. Once you drive it in an actual performance setting, none of that "spirited driving" bs, you'll have a much better idea of the areas that the car need improvement on.

Of course you'll want to change your brake fluid and put new, more aggressive, pads on the car before the track day. Other than that, there's nothing you need to do before tracking. Although there are certainly some things you could do that wouldn't make a big difference. Axleback or catback exhaust won't change performance much at all, just sound. I'd hold off on the header to see if you really need the extra power. The car is already plenty quick around the track, but obviously a little lacking in the straights. Even then, if you keep the car in the top range of the revs, like it's meant to be driven, there's plenty of power available.

The money you'd spend on a header and tune would be much better spent on some quality, properly sized, wheels and good rubber. But I still think it's helpful to try driving on the track with the stock tires. You'll reach the limits of their grip pretty easily, but they can surprisingly stand up to more than you'd probably expect.

I may actually try to do the MVP Track Time HPDE down at the Corvette Track next year. My girlfriend goes to WKU, although she graduates next week, and she wants me to go down there sometime so she can show me around. I think mixing in a couple track days sounds like a good way to introduce myself to Kentucky. lol
MightyMeeple (12-03-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you're wrong. Personally FI might be something I personally will save up for in the future, but that's not what I'm working on my car as of yet. I don't find the need for extra power. I'm not street racing on the street and need 400whp to be the "street monster" I am personally working on Suspension/handling components first, then athsetics, and power last. I think power, especially engine mods, are stupid if you still have a warranty on a car. I would rather pay 5k in suspension/handling/weight saving mods and will enjoy the car soo much better than I would with 5k on a single FI kit.
Yeah I hear ya. I guess I just think it's important he knows how much power he wants, and where in the RPM range. Midrange power is typically the domain of FI. Would hate to see him spend $1-2k on bolt-ons and not be satisfied at the end.

Quote:
Wouldn't the entire combination work best with all?
Definitely, but keep in mind the Edelbrock dyno shows the base SC kit on an otherwise stock car. If that is the type of power you are looking for, you would save $1-2k by skipping the bolt-ons and going straight to SC.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Definitely, but keep in mind the Edelbrock dyno is the base SC kit on an otherwise stock car. If that is the type of power you are looking for, you would save $1-2k by skipping the bolt-ons and going straight to SC.
Agreed. When you are looking at FI dyno graphs, unless they specify the other mods, take it as a stock car. Bolt-ons such as header, gas, etc will actually increase that power output you see for the FI kit.
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #25
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Another thing I would like to add is, find a good reputable tuner. It's by far one of your best investments aside from seat time. (seat time is always the most important)

Finding a good tuner will make sure that your car is running smooth with the mods you do have. Make sure he or she has worked on the 86/Zn6 platform before and knows what they're doing
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the UEL and ok with giving up a little up top, plus I like the rumble the UEL creates. But I have to start with the exhaust first

If you after power gains forget catbacks, they are rearly just for sound.

Adding a catless uel header will give you a bit of sound anyway and you get some gains. you will need a tune to stop the cel code p0420 and optimise for header
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #27
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
THIS: http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2015/...irst-track-day
Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #28
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Welcome! As well as what people have said, take a look at the member's journals to see what all they've done, why, and how it's been.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote