follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Chalk

Drives: 2014 FRS MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows, Tranny/clutch, dealer issues. Help!

Hi,

This is only my second thread so bare with me please.
2014 Fr-S Manual, Fogs, spoiler, and armrest only. ~12,000 miles
Been to the dealer 6+ times in ~8months all records kept

Completed Repairs: squeaky fuel pump, taillight condensation (replaced), and oil control valve (with check engine and everything)

Now for the rest of the issues;

Squeaks and rattles, just told it was normal or they couldn't replicate, gave up on getting these fixed and not really that interested in pointers on, just part of info in case others agree I should probably lemon law

Windows, brought in for multiple times, oiled and "fixed" started out as squeaking, now is clicking and grinding on roll up. Last time they said the windows were just dirty, and that I needed to clean them, later that night (yesterday) after they "fixed" it the issue was back full force clicking and grinding

Transmission: Originally began to be locked out of gears and grinding issues at 7-8k miles, after dealer said it was normal to have rough shifts and be locked out of gears I did the no limit motorsport tranny and diff change with motul 300 gear oil as recommended by many. Lower than average metal shavings in tranny, average sludge in diff, thoroughly cleaned, everything done to spec.

Issues all but disappeared for ~3000 miles now am experiencing the same, but somewhat lower level of the issues. Locking out of first at slow roll 2-4mph when for example entering steep parking lots, ending up stuck in oncoming traffic trying to get into gear. Often when rolling up to stop signs I get a clicking banging sound and feel with clutch fully depressed almost like I'm punching through multiple sheets of tin foil to shift into first while braking and clutch depressed. Shifts rarely buttery smooth and mostly rough grinding and smacking going into gear, esp. third. with dealer tech in the car loud smack inside and outside of car going into second, other issues not present until I went to leave dealer, and after going from r to 1 at complete stop it took three tries to get into first.

Clutch! later yesterday began making a hollow popping in the last 1-2 inch of travel, first two times after being parked for the 30 minutes off, third time after having been parked less than 5 mins on after 30-45 min drive and was accompanied by a grinding feeling in pedal in that last inch.

Dealer has shined me on, told me they did work they didn't, and generally been asshats on many occasions so far. Now my service advisors boss is in the loop, said he'd talk to toyota and would call today and hasn't, I called last night to report clutch and left message, today gave full update on message still no response. Big boss made a big deal out of the tranny/diff fluid change. Now I'm worried they're going to screw me into a thirty thousand dollar brick that I worked my butt off 55 hours a week at a job I hated where my rights were regularly violated age 19-20 to afford.

Looking for some on the real advice here, I'm losing my mind over this car, and the worst part is that I don't think there is another car closer to what I want new or old under 60k

-Chalk
Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Talk to a Lemon Law lawyer.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
go to another dealer.
go with a tech on a extended drive, the problems should present themselves.
1st gear lockout is normal, 2mph little low though., just rev a little and it should drop in.
squeaks and rattles are normal unless really bad.

lemon law doesnt work until 3rd time or more repeatedly fixing the same issue.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Have you done any mods that could be causing the tranny problems?
The window should have been an easy fix and they did mine in minutes and it has stood up to Canadian winter weather so far.
Yep the noises are pretty standard and you should hear them at -20.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1st gear at 2mph..

I have to completly stop or at least 1 or 2 mph to engage 1st...a mild blip on throttle might help...it sometimes does sometimes dont... My trans is gold, might be lucky but its great...from what i've seen on this forum since 2012.. No problem ever...changed to motul at 20000... No change at all, same goodness...
Sounds...with perrin catcack resonation, the car cracks, cracckle and pops as a m@tf'&r but the exhaust mutes it or at least i dont notice...
As recommeded before...take it to another dealer or a serious reputable mechanic in your area
Best of luck!!! The car is worth all the hasle, welcome to the ft86 experience jeje
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Chalk

The dealer called today, they said Toyota doesn't have any known issues, but they'll have a tech take it overnight to try and replicate. I've probably lost hundreds in gas so far over this but it's worth a shot. (Ocv seems to have been lowering mileage by 1-2 mpg all along as well)

It's already past three times for the window repairs, but they aren't actually replacing anything.

As far as the Tranny, blipping might work but what about the loud thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk with the stick popping back and fourth while trying to get into first while pulling up to stop signs? Or constant rough shifts (not the notchiness, after that) grinding and smacking into gear, esp 3rd?

Does anyone have insight on the clutch sound and feel? That at least I'm confident I can replicate for them.

No mods, waiting to see if I'm going to keep the car. Well..my friend made a custom Delorean sticker that's on the dash, she says it's good for 10-15hp, maybe that's the issue?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #7
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
The dealer called today, they said Toyota doesn't have any known issues, but they'll have a tech take it overnight to try and replicate. I've probably lost hundreds in gas so far over this but it's worth a shot. (Ocv seems to have been lowering mileage by 1-2 mpg all along as well)

It's already past three times for the window repairs, but they aren't actually replacing anything.

As far as the Tranny, blipping might work but what about the loud thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk with the stick popping back and fourth while trying to get into first while pulling up to stop signs? Or constant rough shifts (not the notchiness, after that) grinding and smacking into gear, esp 3rd?

Does anyone have insight on the clutch sound and feel? That at least I'm confident I can replicate for them.

No mods, waiting to see if I'm going to keep the car. Well..my friend made a custom Delorean sticker that's on the dash, she says it's good for 10-15hp, maybe that's the issue?
I would suggest bringing it to another dealer. What you can also do IMO is to have another 86 owner ride w/ you or test drive your car to see if they can replicate the problem.

The window squeaking issue can be caused by the rubber that the window hits when it closes. Mine was deformed after a while, getting pulled off slightly whenever the window closes.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
The window squeaking issue can be caused by the rubber that the window hits when it closes. Mine was deformed after a while, getting pulled off slightly whenever the window closes.
The window has actually moved on from squeaking to full on grinding and clicking during the entire roll up, bottom to top.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're not at a dead stop, just use second gear...

Every manual I'v ever driven has been that way.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Chalk

I understand what you all are saying about using second gear, but at 2mph that's the revmatch for first if such a thing existed, where the engine rpm matches the wheel rpm, and in these particular situations I would be slipping the clutch for an extended period in second, because of how awful the roads are setup in the bay area. With my albeit limited technical knowledge, I don't see why it shouldn't drop in perfectly at this speed.

Tags
clutch, dealer, lemon, transmission, windows