follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #43
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is a great little car with a over engineered weird engine with a ton of moving parts. This car just screams for a transplant if you got the time/money or inclination.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #44
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Since this thread is basically dead I may as well ask, what holds the FA20 back in NA form? Is it the heads?
It's the weak flux capacitors

I've heard rods and rod bearings might be suspect for mechanical and then there are some oiling issues as well.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
Food
Banned

Drives: ...saving up for FRS/BRZ still
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can also fit 285s under the stock rear fenders... no rub, no pull, no roll, no prob (proven by Crawford and 1 other ft86 member on his black FT iirc). 265/285 or 275square should give sufficient/decent grip for an LSx engine...and also at the same time much much more tire options (cheaper too) than +300mm tires. RS3, DII, RE11, AD08r etc all come in 285s
Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #46
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I think FOOD was citing the 55kg difference between the LS and 1uz engines, not the FA20 and 1uz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
Lots of false information here. 125lbs/55kg difference is absurd.
Fa20 is 180kg dressed (seen it weighed)
1uz is 215kg dressed (seen it weighed in same scale)

Please, can people stop just finding snipets of information online, piecing it together to form a conclusion, and then spreading that false information.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #47
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Drives: I own an FR-S. . . whatelse!
Yeah 1UZs and LS1s weigh about the same around 430 to 450ish pounds in running condition. I have heard some people quote around 390lbs for a 1UZ, but that might be with no fluids and stuff.

I think the main draw to the 1UZ is the price, they are dirt cheap, you can find them on ebay for 500 bucks no problem. See first result to come up! Not to mention it being fairly strong while still being very cheap.
IAmNotTheDriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #48
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The saving grace of the FA 20 engine is the height: this lump is a lot shorter than an average upright inline-4 or V-configuration engines, with the bulky DOHC cylinder heads sitting very low down in the chassis. That is all this engine does add - a lower center of gravity. But low weight isn't what this unusual engine layout offers, not hardly. As you can see below, we've already weighed the stock FA20 engine and transmission at 480 pounds. This is, by far, the heaviest 4-cylinder aluminum engine we've ever weighed.

Remember the 480 pound measurement of the factory FA20 and 5-spd, shown above? Well a Tremec T56 Magnum XL is 128 pounds and a factory LS6 weighs 457 pounds, with a lighter than stock flywheel (which we always do - it doesn't need a 48 pound 2-piece factory flywheel, even for street use) plus the heavy OEM exhaust manifolds and a power steering pump. This 86 chassis has electric assist power steering built in the steering column, so we will remove the hydraulic power steering pump from the LSx engine we end up with, and our exhaust headers always save weight over OEM cast iron manifolds. After we do the math it looks like it is going to be pretty close to the stock weight, which is good. The weight of a turbocharger and intercooler from our before weight here is not insignificant, either. If we're wrong on that guess, we'll show it here, too. Look for the final weight of the FR-S once this V8 swap is done, which we will compare with the "before" weight.

Last edited by cf6mech; 08-02-2014 at 04:36 AM.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #49
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Why is this subaru motor so heavy?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #50
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I feel bad for OP. He put a lot of work into that first post.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #51
Food
Banned

I didn't make it up...just meant that Orido said it himself in his YT video (that the LS7 was much lighter than the Lexus V8...55kg iirc). Tell him lol.

Regardless...a Lexus V8 would be the worst choice. It's not exactly a popular engine with a lot of aftermarket support, nor are there many people with experience and knowledge with it that can help, etc. And getting it rebuilt and also getting parts for it would be specialized and hard to get/find parts from Japan. Not worth it. Also can't get a shiny new crate engine if that's what you want. Iron too I think...and so on and so on. Anyone who swaps in a Lexus V8 is a straight fool lol.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #52
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food View Post
I didn't make it up...just meant that Orido said it himself in his YT video (that the LS7 was much lighter than the Lexus V8...55kg iirc). Tell him lol.

Regardless...a Lexus V8 would be the worst choice. It's not exactly a popular engine with a lot of aftermarket support, nor are there many people with experience and knowledge with it that can help, etc. And getting it rebuilt and also getting parts for it would be specialized and hard to get/find parts from Japan. Not worth it. Also can't get a shiny new crate engine if that's what you want. Iron too I think...and so on and so on. Anyone who swaps in a Lexus V8 is a straight fool lol.

LS7 is going to be lighter primarily because it's not DOHC.

Not a ton of aftermarket support I can agree with (at least compared to say a 2JZ or LSx). Plenty of people know what to do with the motor though. Normal rebuild parts are easy to find. Iron? It's all aluminum like the LSx and runs 6 bolt mains.

It's a nice motor, but like I said, too small displacement wise for the amount of effort needed to swap it in.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Food (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #53
Food
Banned

It belongs in a Lexus luxury sedan and nothing else. That car was never a highly modified car in the aftermarket world for engine mods; only lowering it and stance at most. Compared to any other popular engine - LSx, RB, 2JZ, even Honda B series, etc...those engines have always been popular in making faster. Aftermarket and experience is close to nil and always will be for the Lexus V8. There may be plenty of people that know what to do with them..but in this case, "plenty" means maybe 10-20 people on earth lol....compared to thousands of experienced people for other engines. Going Lexus V8 is just not a wise decision at all (from both a budget/money standpoint as well as a performance standpoint) and people that swap them in are just trying too hard to be unique, different or "cool" ...just the truth.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #54
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food View Post
It belongs in a Lexus luxury sedan and nothing else. That car was never a highly modified car in the aftermarket world for engine mods; only lowering it and stance at most. Compared to any other popular engine - LSx, RB, 2JZ, even Honda B series, etc...those engines have always been popular in making faster. Aftermarket and experience is close to nil and always will be for the Lexus V8. There may be plenty of people that know what to do with them..but in this case, "plenty" means maybe 10-20 people on earth lol....compared to thousands of experienced people for other engines. Going Lexus V8 is just not a wise decision at all (from both a budget/money standpoint as well as a performance standpoint) and people that swap them in are just trying too hard to be unique, different or "cool" ...just the truth.

Apparently you don't know the history behind the motor as it was designed after racing motors and was supposed to be used for racing. A twin turbo variant was used in their Le Mans MR2.

Also, as long as you know piston driven engines, they're all the same. There are very few "tricks" between any different layout, so anyone that could build an LS motor could easily build a 1UZ.

I agree on the cost standpoint based on performance, at least until a 1UZ swap became a bolt in affair in this chassis. It's nearly a bolt in to a MKIII Supra chassis and I still didn't go that route because the exhaust manifolds needed are hard to find, and I'd still have to have a custom exhaust made.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #55
JTM

Drives: 2013 FRS-6MT Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
It is nice to see some engine swap ideas and especially the diversity of ideas in this thread. I'm not looking for an FA20 replacement but rather a 3RZ replacement for a PreRunner.
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote