follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
theom

Drives: FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OBD II reader says my throttle open %80.78

So I got a Vtech wifi OBD reader and the app ENGINELINK on my iphone.
When I have my foot all the way down on the pedal the Throttle position gauge says 80.78%.

Does this mean my throttle is not all the way open?
Or, is it crappy implementation of the software or OBD reader?
Maybe because I'm not using the recommended ELM 327 OBD-II WiFi reader?

I know everybody loves the android app Torque. But I have an iphone so I got the wifi reader and Enginelink.
theom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the Elm device with Torque. Max throttle reading is 80 percent. Perhaps it is related to throttle mapping or allowing more room for upgraded injectors and fuel pump.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
theom

Drives: FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I have the Elm device with Torque. Max throttle reading is 80 percent. Perhaps it is related to throttle mapping or allowing more room for upgraded injectors and fuel pump.
So I guess it's normal.
I just want foot all the way down to equal wide open throttle.
theom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
IIRC there are actually 2 throttle position sensors and it keeps track of both in the case of a failure (which could lead to accidental WOT).

There are also several throttle position values in torque pro (relative position for example), one of them shows me the appropriate value but I can't remember which it is.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
sparks

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Throttle position sensor, built-into the throttle body ASSY (with motor), detects throttle valve opening angle. The sensor type used is a non-contact type throttle position sensor. This sensor uses Hall elements which is capable of sensing magnetic field as an electrical signal. As the throttle valve moves, output voltage difference is produced linearly, and this effect is called Hall effect. The throttle position sensor has circuits with 2 different output characteristics (THSM and THSS). The sensor also sends output voltage which corresponds to throttle opening angle to the engine control computer. The engine control computer, in turn, calculates a throttle valve opening angle based on the output voltage to perform operations such as controlling the throttle motor and compensating air/fuel ratio.

2013 BRZ Preimum #452 - Sterling Silver

Last edited by sparks; 10-04-2013 at 12:55 PM.
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
sparks

Garage
The ECM uses the throttle position sensor to monitor throttle valve opening angle. Some checks are performed so that the ECMmay confirm that the throttle position sensor is properly functioning.

• There is a specified amount of difference between sensor output voltages VTA1 and VTA2, which are used to detect a throttle valve opening angle. If the difference between VTA1 and VTA2 is improper, the ECM identifies this as an abnormal condition in the sensor circuit and stores the DTC.

• VTA1 and VTA2 have each specified voltage range. If output voltages of VTA1 and VTA2 fall out of the normal operation range, the ECM identifies this as an abnormal condition in the sensor circuit and stores the DTC.

• Also, voltage levels of VTA1 and VTA2 should not be close to each other. If the voltage of VTA1 comes close to the voltage of VTA2 and their difference is within 0.02 V or less, the ECM judges that there is a short condition in the sensor circuit and stores the DTC.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
86 degrees is max throttle angle. Max accel pedal % though is 100%.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Throttle position sensor, built-into the throttle body ASSY (with motor), detects throttle valve opening angle. The sensor type used is a non-contact type throttle position sensor. This sensor uses Hall elements which is capable of sensing magnetic field as an electrical signal. As the throttle valve moves, output voltage difference is produced linearly, and this effect is called Hall effect. The throttle position sensor has circuits with 2 different output characteristics (THSM and THSS). The sensor also sends output voltage which corresponds to throttle opening angle to the engine control computer. The engine control computer, in turn, calculates a throttle valve opening angle based on the output voltage to perform operations such as controlling the throttle motor and compensating air/fuel ratio.

Just a suggestion. . you may want to change your font size if you want anyone to be able to read your posts without breaking out the magnifying glass.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
sparks

Garage
It was a cut and paste from the manual, let me see if I can fix.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
It was a cut and paste from the manual, let me see if I can fix.
if you hit the 'A' image in the top left corner of the post box, it will show all the formatting vb code being applied to your posts-- just delete anything with brackets "[]" and the text will show up normally.