follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
kt45

Drives: BRZ 2013 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another trunk release issue (not valet button)

So my trunk release button in the dash, my trunk button on my fob, and the push button on the trunk do not open the trunk in my BRZ limited. The only way the trunk opens is through the handle inside or with using the physical key. I am positive this is not because the valet button is pressed because I have tried opening the trunk with the button in both positions, but I havent ruled out the wiring as faulty yet. When I press the trunk release button on the outside my key fob lights up. On the connector I measured a constant voltage between ground and I believe the white/black wire. The light in the trunk turns off when the connector to the trunk release is removed. However the other wire I believe its the pink one shows no voltage when I press the trunk release button. I have continuity on all of the three inputs with each other on the trunk release actuator connector. Any ideas? I'm not sure if there is a fuse for the release so havent checked that yet.
kt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Check the fuse for the door locks. I had mine blow and it would beep and flash the lights making you think the doors locked but they didn't. My trunk button stopped working as well. Swapped in new fuse and it all worked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
kt45

Drives: BRZ 2013 MT
Nope, not the door lock fuse. Door locks work. Trunk cancel button has no continuity with button out and continuity with button in (working). I pretty much narrowed it down to the trunk release relay (BK/DR Relay) in the dash fusebox (replaceable?) short in the wiring or bad trunk actuator. After staring at the electrical diagram I see that the actuator has 3 wires. Brown, White&black, and Black. Black is ground, white/black is coming from the ecu certification assembly, and brown is off the trunk relay.White/black wire rests at 6v and rises to 9v when trunk release is pressed, so good i guess. Black wire shows continuity with a ground; Good. But the brown wire shows no voltage regardless if the trunk button is pressed or not. Im not an electrical expert but I believe I should see 12v when the trunk button is pressed, and simply the brown wire shorting to ground when not pressed via relay, which it does btw. Anyone want to take a crack at this? Out of warranty and taking my car to the dealership isn't too enticing.
kt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kt45 For This Useful Post:
byun (04-10-2017)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Bowflex

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt45 View Post
Nope, not the door lock fuse. Door locks work. Trunk cancel button has no continuity with button out and continuity with button in (working). I pretty much narrowed it down to the trunk release relay (BK/DR Relay) in the dash fusebox (replaceable?) short in the wiring or bad trunk actuator. After staring at the electrical diagram I see that the actuator has 3 wires. Brown, White&black, and Black. Black is ground, white/black is coming from the ecu certification assembly, and brown is off the trunk relay.White/black wire rests at 6v and rises to 9v when trunk release is pressed, so good i guess. Black wire shows continuity with a ground; Good. But the brown wire shows no voltage regardless if the trunk button is pressed or not. Im not an electrical expert but I believe I should see 12v when the trunk button is pressed, and simply the brown wire shorting to ground when not pressed via relay, which it does btw. Anyone want to take a crack at this? Out of warranty and taking my car to the dealership isn't too enticing.
I'm having the exact same issue. Did you ever end up getting this resolved? If so, what was the outcome?
Bowflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Bowflex

Drives: Scion FR-S
To help other owners, the issue was the wiring harness to the trunk release latch wasn't supplying power. The fix was $140 at the dealership.
Bowflex is offline   Reply With Quote