follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Trmx2

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S 6spd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thoughts on full Perrin Build Upgrades?

So, as I sit here and peruse through various online catalogs (Perrin performance has had me hooked for a while)

I'm noticing that they offer a lot of equipment that I really like...

Cat back exhaust
Engine Mounts
Transmission Mount
Shift Mount
Master Cylinder Brace
Positive Sterring Response System
etc.

Thinking of upgrading those components if their quality and durability is what they state, I can only imagine the car to perform better and have more durability as a sports car.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Trmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a full perrin exhaust system minus the header since they don't make one. The quality is awesome and the sound is excellent. I also have their CAI and inlet tube which I really like as well. Good products.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
I have a full perrin exhaust system minus the header since they don't make one. The quality is awesome and the sound is excellent. I also have their CAI and inlet tube which I really like as well. Good products.
Resonated or none resonated? What's the pipe diameter? the 2.5"

In regards to the intake? Does it throw a CEL? Do you have a tune as well?

I'm still really lost with this whole car modding thing, I feel old. I remember the days back in the late 90's when kids were tuning their piece of shit CRX's and Civic EX's, hell, I knew one kid who modded his Toyota Tercel...lol.

Back then it was just slapping whatever people in the Fast and Furious movie slapped onto their car..."Injen, Greddy, AEM, don't forget the infamous GT-R, TYPE-R, Mugen badging....lol"
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
CK_Bladesmith

2.5" overpipe and catted front pipe. 3" resonated catback. No CEL from the intake. You will however throw a CEL if you get uncatted aftermarket headers. Tune required for that basically, but totally worth it.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the 3" front pipe and plan on getting the 3" catback
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
2.5" overpipe and catted front pipe. 3" resonated catback. No CEL from the intake. You will however throw a CEL if you get uncatted aftermarket headers. Tune required for that basically, but totally worth it.
Probably won't be doing headers. Pardon my noobness, the overpipe and catted front pipe, is that what you chose from Perrin? They offer two things...so I'm just curious.

In terms of parts I was thinking from Perrin, I was thinking of all those little goodies like the crank pulleys, the engine mounts, trany mount, shift mount, intake, exhaust, etc. their stuff seems to be really well made and really strong, and that's what I'm looking for, to increase the durability and rigidity of the car whilst increasing it's performance.

I want the car to feel as if it came from the factory tuned for pure sports performance (above what it was already tuned for)

I know manufacturers like to cut corners when making a car due to laws, driving conditions, etc. but I want the car to still be incredibly reliable, whilst having increased precision and performance.

Is this doable? I know, I'm really anal retentive lol
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
CK_Bladesmith

I only have the full perrin exhaust so that's all I really can speak for. It's bad ass...definitely no regrets.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,828 Times in 16,430 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmx2 View Post
So, as I sit here and peruse through various online catalogs ............. I can only imagine the car to perform better and have more durability as a sports car.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Oh, my (sigh), Trmx2, I'm ah feared you have a severe case of "mod fever" ...... 104 maybe 105 degrees ....

IMHO, just because the aftermarket offers all of these things, that doesn't mean your car needs all of them, it depends on what you want your car to do.

If you're not going to track or autocross it, I'd suggest you first focus on the tires ..... pretty easy, since you live in Florida (don't need winter tires).

I'd leave the suspension alone; it's just fine for average driving.

The exhaust may be your second focus. I understand power gains and sound can be had there. If it's just sound your wanting, an axel back muffler (or not) set up will do that. The power can come, as you modify and work your way up to the engine heads.

Now, you may wish to open up the other end (drop in filters, CAI, slicker intake parts, etc.).

Now that you have it breathing easier, I would suggest you look into a "tune", to bring out some gains that you have set up.

Then, I'd suggest you quit with the mechanical stuff.

Your car should run a bit faster than the one next to it and it will still be dependable and economical to operate.

Well, heck, you asked for my thoughts ....

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, my (sigh), Trmx2, I'm ah feared you have a severe case of "mod fever" ...... 104 maybe 105 degrees .... ....

You're right, I do have the fever. The reason I want those parts is because anything that can strengthen an area, or make an area more efficient I am a fan of. Those little parts are relatively inexpensive for my budget so I am also looking towards those things for that reason.

I won't be tuning the ECU, too nervous about warranty issues going that route.

I'm still debating whether to do a drop in or a full cai.

I want sound and performance so I guess catback is the way to go for me, although others have suggested headers, I probably won't go that route either.

Wheels tires are a definite but they are $$$$$$ I simply cannot afford the wheels tires I want at the moment, and most likely not for a while. I don't want to go the Used route either because well, they're used.....same reason I won't buy a used bed, or used cell-phone.....just not my thing. lol

I want springs for cosmetic AND performance reasons so I've been researching different spring rates and have found a few springs that nearly match the OEM spring Rates for the FRS, whilst providing a minimal drop .75 - 1" max so I would like to get my hands on a pair of those.

The Grimmspeed Strut Brace that was recommended is something I am probably going to do as well.

MTEC shift springs because I have noticed the shifting to be slightly inaccurate when shifting hard and fast, the MTEC springs solve that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trmx2 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
mrceltic

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm an admitted noob when it comes to mods, but from what I've learned around this forum and the pits at track days, I believe that if you're not willing to tune the ECU you aren't going to see the performance increases from a lot of mods.

I'm in the same boat... I commute in this car for half the year so I want to preserve my warranty, so the tune is out (some rumours that any non-TRD mods will at least result in some resistance from the dealership with regards to warranty repairs to related systems). And without the tune there isn't much point in adding a new CAI or exhaust, two of the easiest ways to gain power.

My plans for next year are upgraded brake pads and rotors, new tires, and eliminating the back seat for some weight savings... Make it go faster, stop quicker and handle better, and all for less than $1000.

End of my $0.02.
mrceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrceltic View Post
I'm an admitted noob when it comes to mods, but from what I've learned around this forum and the pits at track days, I believe that if you're not willing to tune the ECU you aren't going to see the performance increases from a lot of mods.

I'm in the same boat...
Understandable, that's why most of the mods I plan to do just strengthen the integrity of the car.

I won't gain as much power from the intake/exhaust combo I'm aware of that, it'll at least breathe a little better and definitely sound and look a lot better so I'm alright with that. I'm weary of the tunes because I don't think the car has been out long enough for the tunes to prove that they keep the engine reliable.

Is toyota that stubborn? I was told that if they install the parts they'll honor the warranty, I guess bc I'm giving them money to install them....
Old 11-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmx2 View Post
Understandable, that's why most of the mods I plan to do just strengthen the integrity of the car.

I won't gain as much power from the intake/exhaust combo I'm aware of that, it'll at least breathe a little better and definitely sound and look a lot better so I'm alright with that. I'm weary of the tunes because I don't think the car has been out long enough for the tunes to prove that they keep the engine reliable.

Is toyota that stubborn? I was told that if they install the parts they'll honor the warranty, I guess bc I'm giving them money to install them....
You realize putting more solid mounts/bushings everyone doesnt necessarily make the car more durable. It may in fact to the oppoaite. If there is no give anywhere the chassis and body take much more of a beating. Not only will the car ride harsh it will be much noisier. Race car chassis are solid, and they last a season, maybe.

I have not run solid buahings like this so I dont really know, but want you to think about it. I am not going to post anymore as I think I said enough in your earlier thread.

So best of luck and I hope you enjoy your car.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote