follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Essex Harness Bar: Now Available!

Click here to see Essex Adjustable Harness Bar on our new website.

Essex has created what we feel is the ultimate harness bar for the FT86 chassis. While our bar is definitely attractive, our goal was not to create a 'style bar.' Our design objectives were focused almost exclusively on function. We wanted to make the stiffest, lightest, and most versatile bar possible, and we believe we have succeeded:
  • No modifications to the OE sheet metal are required- All of the pieces in our harness bar kit bolt to existing holes in the car. There is no cutting or modifying required. Our bar can be seamlessly and completely removed to put the car back to stock condition.
  • Retains OEM front seat belt mounting points- Our bar can be installed while keeping the front seatbelts functioning as intended. Also, the OEM shoulder belt mounting location does not change. We simply provide a longer bolt, and the factory belt rests on top of the plate for our harness bar.
  • Both OEM seats slide all the way back and recline comfortably with bar installed.
  • 1-3/4” O.D. steel tube for maximum rigidity- Our bar is a single piece that extends from B-pillar to B-pillar. There are no mid-tube connections, as mid-tube connections are typically not as rigid. While we're not making any claims with respect to chassis stiffening, we will note that the load paths through our assembly are in a straight line. This does increase stiffness more than a design that follows a tortuously crooked or curved path.
  • Adjustable height with 4 positions- The four positions allow for a wide range of vertical adjustment. We've provided an appropriate mounting point for drivers of different heights, and for those running various types of seats and mounting methods.
  • Four primary attachment points to the chassis- All four primary connection points are directly to factory belt mounting locations, and there are no flimsy sheet metal connections. Our bar has billet aluminum end plates that attach to both B-Pillars. The end plates are bolted to the factory shoulder seat belt mounting points (near the roof, behind your head). A tension rod attaches at the bottom of each plate and runs back to the shoulder belt mounting location for the rear seat. Having multiple mounting points securely locks the bar to the chassis, and the tension rods have left and right-hand threads allowing infinitesimal length adjustments to simplify fitment.
  • Mounting plates are machined from ˝” billet aluminum plate- Light, precise, and strong, our low-profile machined billet aluminum end plates allow the bar to be accurately positioned in the car without intruding into the cabin. Only one small piece of interior plastic must remain out of the car when the bar is run in the default top position (the piece closest to the top OEM shoulder belt mount).
  • Durable and attractive black powder coat finish- All of our components are powder coated semi-gloss black. When the bar is installed, it does not attract any unnecessary attention, and it blends nicely with the interior of the car. Only the bar itself and a small portion of the billet aluminum end plates remain visible.
  • Highest quality fasteners- Only high-strength fasteners are employed.
  • Weight with fasteners is 14.5 lbs.
  • Designed and built from the finest quality components in the USA

Last edited by JRitt; 01-26-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added updated link and info
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
juliog (04-26-2015), Mad_Mike (04-27-2015)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
gahhhhh stop tempting me!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Turn in Concepts

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is definitely one of the nicest constructed harness bars I have seen. The milled end plates are very nice.

As a word of caution, these are not legal for any NASA HPDE's.

Tony
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
camelflage

Drives: pinto power
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
interested to see how it looks with the plastic back on...
camelflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
JRitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
That is definitely one of the nicest constructed harness bars I have seen. The milled end plates are very nice.

Tony
Thanks Tony. Are you certain about the NASA restriction? I know that wasn't the case previously. Is this a rule change for 2013? If so, can you direct me to the wording in their rule set? Thanks!:happy0180:

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Thanks Tony. Are you certain about the NASA restriction? I know that wasn't the case previously. Is this a rule change for 2013? If so, can you direct me to the wording in their rule set? Thanks!:happy0180:
I would guess it varies by region. Some regions are very strict, some think bubblegum works for attaching a race seat.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
JRitt

Below is a pic with the plastics back in the car. As you can see, the install is about as stealth as you can get overall, and blends nicely with the car. Only one small panel at the top of the shoulder belt area remains out of the car. Everything else is hidden behind the factory plastics.

The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
nix (01-15-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Mach V Dan
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2015 WRX, 2000 RSTi
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
Which? This particular harness bar? Any harness bar? Can you be more specific? Where are you getting this information?

--Dan
Mach V
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Garage
I searched the whole 2013 rule guide and couldn't find anything indicating there would be any issues with this harness bar. Here it is if anyone else can find anything that would possibly indicate otherwise.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf
AZFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZFA20 For This Useful Post:
JRitt (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
JRitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFA20 View Post
I searched the whole 2013 rule guide and couldn't find anything indicating there would be any issues with this harness bar. Here it is if anyone else can find anything that would possibly indicate otherwise.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf
Thank you very much. I just wanted to make sure we were discussing facts, not speculation and scare tactics.:happy0180:

Old 04-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Can the bar be easily removed for daily driving, and reinstalled for trackdays?

Also, does the harnessbar impede the way the sideway airbags in any way?

Thank you!

Last edited by OnionTou; 04-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
NASA has the dumbest most backwards rules for harness bar's be it a bolt in like this or one as part of roll bar or cage.

I can't say I have ever seen it in writing if these are allowed or not but as long as its not prohibited in writing and a quality piece you should be allowed to run.

I built cages and roll bars for a living so I have read the rules over and over.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
Can the bar be easily removed for daily driving, and reinstalled for trackdays?

Also, does the harnessbar impede the way the sideway airbags in any way?

Thank you!
Bump. @JRitt
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
JRitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
Bump. @JRitt

Sorry...missed this one. You can always feel free to email me at any time with questions.

Yes, the bar is fairly easy to remove and install, particularly if you left off the plastic trim pieces that would cover it. You can see the install manual here. It would be three bolts on each end plate to remove them on each side.

I don't know if it would impede the curtain airbag at all or not. It was not designed specifically to accommodate the airbags.

Tags
autox, bar, essex, harness, stiff