follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
DiscoQuinn

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throttle lag and filtering?

I don't care about turbos, E85 or power numbers. I just want the throttle filtering to be removed.

I've owned 28 Corollas, 13 ae86's and I cannot stand how laggy and delayed the throttle is.

Digging through the BIN file in rom raider, I can't seem to find any definitions that I understand that will fix this throttle delay and throttle filtering. I even started opening up the BIN files in hex editor to see if I could identify things that weren't already in the definitions files. But I've not found anything as I'm not quite smart enough to do that.

I'd love some good guidance before I start drilling holes and ruining my motor with a throttle cable botched in. Like I get angry in the car because of this throttle filtering.
DiscoQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Really common mod in Japan. But there are ridiculously cheap ones on AliExpress.

https://www.vividracing.com/toms-rac...151571649.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
DiscoQuinn

Holy shit. So it's just a japanese Pedal Commander?

What settings in the BIN file is this overcoming?
Old 12-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I fail to see, how they can "eliminate lag". What seems more probable to me, that all they do - remap pedal travel scaling a bit differently for different commanded power vs actual pedal travel. And if it's so, i fail to see why pay for it, if it's allready in ecu tune, for which one is better off paying for as it will rise overall performance instead of being fooled by it's mapping, and also i'm not too fond of even stock pedal mapping, which lumps most change in initial travel to make false impression of bigger engine .. robbing precision from pedalwork with more linear mapped pedal.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
Holy shit. So it's just a japanese Pedal Commander?

What settings in the BIN file is this overcoming?

Yeah idk what it’s doing. But I know it’s like really common mod in Japan.

Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
Project_1796 (05-28-2021)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Are you referring to throttle blips that get ignored? For example, you attempt a blip to do a downshift and it literally does nothing and you end up putting your head in the windshield with a mismatched downshift. A lot of this has to do with the TIR (Transient Ignition Retard) which pulls timing when there are big RPM changes such as a gear change. Out of the box the car will audibly detonate if you do a rapid gear change. In 2017 they revised the TIR tables to combat this but at the same time they killed throttle response. The only solution I've found is to use the pre-2017 TIR tables but with E85. So I get good throttle response without the detonation on quick gear changes.

There is a thread around here somewhere where someone was trying to come up with new TIR tables that were the best of both worlds but in the end I think they gave up. You say you don't care about E85 but it really does transform this car. The inconsistent throttle response completely vanishes and you no longer have that disconnected feeling.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Certainly you know that there will be input delay inherent to the delivery medium- there's a computer between your foot and the butterfly valve interpreting and action on your behalf. Nothing will be as fast or snappy as cable driven
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't care about turbos, E85 or power numbers. I just want the throttle filtering to be removed.

I've owned 28 Corollas, 13 ae86's and I cannot stand how laggy and delayed the throttle is.

Digging through the BIN file in rom raider, I can't seem to find any definitions that I understand that will fix this throttle delay and throttle filtering. I even started opening up the BIN files in hex editor to see if I could identify things that weren't already in the definitions files. But I've not found anything as I'm not quite smart enough to do that.

I'd love some good guidance before I start drilling holes and ruining my motor with a throttle cable botched in. Like I get angry in the car because of this throttle filtering.

Look at the DBW drive by wire throttle tables sometimes called torque calculation tables. and ues you can mess with these to improve the low end throttle response

which tune system do you have ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
DiscoQuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Are you referring to throttle blips that get ignored?

Yes. I can tap the pedal a thousand times, but until I commit to a throttle position, it just don't respond, regardless if I'm accelerating or decelerating.

Quote:

You say you don't care about E85 but it really does transform this car. The inconsistent throttle response completely vanishes and you no longer have that disconnected feeling.

I live on an island and E85 is a 2 hour ferry ride away.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #10
DiscoQuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Look at the DBW drive by wire throttle tables sometimes called torque calculation tables. and ues you can mess with these to improve the low end throttle response

which tune system do you have ?

I've managed to rumble up a KESS V2. Sadly I don't think I can live log with it, but it works great for reading and writing.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #11
ermax

Quote:
Yes. I can tap the pedal a thousand times, but until I commit to a throttle position, it just don't respond, regardless if I'm accelerating or decelerating.

I live on an island and E85 is a 2 hour ferry ride away.

Sucks you can’t easily get E85. I’m lucky enough to find it at every major intersection.

Another question, what it the longest you’ve gone without an ECU reset? I ask because the throttle response is really bad for about 200 miles after a reset. If you are playing with RR and reflahing constantly and you never make it to 200mi then you’re not getting past that training phase. When I first got my car I got a Tactrix cable within the first week and spent the first month flashing a lot and hatted how bad it drove. Once I left it alone it settled down and became tolerable.

If you are running a 2017 or newer rom then try running the pre-2017 TIR tables and see if that is better. But give it time to settle in. A quick stab at the idle right after a flash will literally be ignored. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to go back to normal. I drive 40 miles per day and it takes a good week for mine to settle. I just replaced my battery a few weeks ago and it’s just now getting back to normal.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've managed to rumble up a KESS V2. Sadly I don't think I can live log with it, but it works great for reading and writing.

correct kess just reads and writes no logging
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #13
ermax

You can get cables on Amazon for $18 that will work with Toyota Techstream and live log with that but it’s not very user friendly to start/stop and requires a laptop in the car. But you can’t beat the price.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #14
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post
Really common mod in Japan. But there are ridiculously cheap ones on AliExpress.

https://www.vividracing.com/toms-rac...151571649.html

These add additional layer of filtering before the ECU even receives the signal from the throttle pedal. There is no way they can increase response, all they will be doing is sending a signal to the ECU that makes it look like you wanted more throttle initially.

A tune helps with throttle response and I've read people claiming in these boards that doing the pedal dance improves throttle response. Personally I think it is just something we have to live with on this car with its electronic throttle. I am not even sure the stock ECU will be able to work if you put a cable throttle on the motor.