follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Deadlii

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS Car wreck

So I hit an 1100lbs cow this weekend and just got my claim info back and im pretty concerned with all of it. Long story short they are refusing to paint the car (just want to touch up areas) and claim they can match the black with blue metallic in it. They also have 8 hrs labor set aside to work on the right front Pillar of the car which has damage noticeable by the naked eye. The repair paint and labor all total around 6k (which seems low to me) and that is without removing any parts to see if there is anymore extensive damage. The insurance adjuster stated if they were to do further work on the pillar the entire roof would need replaced. Im currently trying to talk to the collision center to see what exactly will be done with the pillar. From everything ive read the pillar is def a saftey issue for the car. Im pretty much at a loss at what to do at this point so im going to go get the car and put it in my driveway for now. Im not even sure what questions to ask at this point lol. I know they didnt put my rim in the estimate and it hit so hard the whole coating is flaking off. So im pretty concerned im gettin screwed by insurance and taken by the collision center so they can get work. Also the picture under the hood is pretty concerning to me also, isnt that all part of the frame that is bent in all sorts of ways? since we have the chassie/frame unit? I dunno what advice i need but all is welcome.. Sorry the pictures are sideways.

TLDR: Im concerned there is frame/structural damage to the car and its all getting glossed over by the collision center/adjuster to benefit them both. Im currently about to seek advice from a lawyer, as my state(TN) is a repair related diminished value state.
Attached Images

Last edited by Deadlii; 11-17-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Deadlii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlii For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-19-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What do you want? Is it a reputable shop? Why pay a lawyer for something you can do right now. Give them authorization to disassemble and get a real estimate. You can pick a different shop to fix it. A full paint job is not required. What is wrong with the wheel? I will stop now.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Deadlii

I want the car repaired properly or totaled. I cant say whether the shop is reputable or not. Its not on my Insurance companies warrenty list but the shop owner and adjuster were on a first name basis before any of this based off my first convo with the collision center when he name dropped the adjuster. You dont have to "pay" lawyers to look over your case info and give you an assessment. Im guessing you are a mechanic from your avatar so that might be why it seems like a no brainer to you to give them authorization to disassemble and give a better estimate. But that option wasnt laid in front of me by my adjuster or the collision center, so that is why i havent done that yet. I will likely pick another shop for another opinion, but was just trying to gather as much information as possible while moving forward. You can see in the picture the wheel looks discolored in places, in person you can see in those spots it has shattered some type of coating on the wheel and its just falling from almost every one of the arms. ill try to edit this further to keep giving more info.. Thanks for the reply

edit: I want to know what the damage to the R front pillar means, what needs to be done to repair the pillar? The adjuster said they would have to replace the whole roof or do what they are going to do to repair it. Which he didnt go into depth about so im not sure even how they plan to repair the pillar. Obviously after almost having an 1100lb cow come through my windshield, and it rolling off the pillar im happy it had structural integrity. From the last photo i posted and looking online at unibody specs it looks as if you can see unibody frame damage in that photo or am i looking at the wrong place? the frame damage wasnt even mentioned in the adjustment and the pillar damage is slated for 8 hours of labor. Im just concerned and thought if i shared so photos here i might get some information from people with more knowledge than me. Knowledge is power and so forth

Last edited by Deadlii; 11-17-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about it. Let them do their thing. Your insurance should guarantee the work. Once it's done, look it over, and if it's not right, let your insurance know about it.

My insurance wanted to use aftermarket parts when I got t-boned years ago. I let them. The fit was horrible, I brought my concerns to my insurance, and they redid the entire job
humfrz (11-19-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
Deadlii

I think I need probably just need to speak to the collision center. I couldnt get into contact with them today and i think they could answer a lot of these questions.

thx for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlii For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 02:25 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlii View Post
So I hit an 1100lbs cow this weekend and just got my claim info back and im pretty concerned with all of it.
Well, that's too bad -

I hope you and any passengers weren't hurt and if you were, you are on the mend.

If the cow was killed, I hope someone butchered it up, at the price of beef, it could pay for the insurance deductible. (jest tryen to lighten up a bit - ).

After I turned all your pictures right side up, I can see that it's pretty messed up. If the airbags went off, I surprised they didn't total it.

So, like ol @soundman98 said, "I wouldn't worry about it. Let them do their thing. Your insurance should guarantee the work. Once it's done, look it over, and if it's not right, let your insurance know about it."

Bubba has a PS - You hit a COW? I can understand hitting a deer, because they are fast, earth colored and can dart out of the woods. But a COW? A cow is big, slow, colored and doesn't live in wooded areas along roads.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlii View Post
I want the car repaired properly or totaled. I cant say whether the shop is reputable or not. Its not on my Insurance companies warrenty list but the shop owner and adjuster were on a first name basis before any of this based off my first convo with the collision center when he name dropped the adjuster. You dont have to "pay" lawyers to look over your case info and give you an assessment. Im guessing you are a mechanic from your avatar so that might be why it seems like a no brainer to you to give them authorization to disassemble and give a better estimate. But that option wasnt laid in front of me by my adjuster or the collision center, so that is why i havent done that yet. I will likely pick another shop for another opinion, but was just trying to gather as much information as possible while moving forward. You can see in the picture the wheel looks discolored in places, in person you can see in those spots it has shattered some type of coating on the wheel and its just falling from almost every one of the arms. ill try to edit this further to keep giving more info.. Thanks for the reply

edit: I want to know what the damage to the R front pillar means, what needs to be done to repair the pillar? The adjuster said they would have to replace the whole roof or do what they are going to do to repair it. Which he didnt go into depth about so im not sure even how they plan to repair the pillar. Obviously after almost having an 1100lb cow come through my windshield, and it rolling off the pillar im happy it had structural integrity. From the last photo i posted and looking online at unibody specs it looks as if you can see unibody frame damage in that photo or am i looking at the wrong place? the frame damage wasnt even mentioned in the adjustment and the pillar damage is slated for 8 hours of labor. Im just concerned and thought if i shared so photos here i might get some information from people with more knowledge than me. Knowledge is power and so forth
Those are valid concern's. First of all I would do some research to try to find a reputable shop that is on your insurance company’s list. I would not go to the shop just because the adjuster recommended it. He may own a portion of that shop or get kickbacks. (Not legal but it happens and I have seen it). The wheel can be recoated for a fraction of the cost of a new wheel and look just as good. Pillar damage is not a big deal a good shop will straitened and measure to ensure the unibody is straight.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
like others said, if fix is not done properly, insurance have to redo the work which will costs more. you can take a car any shop you want to fix so you can do so
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #9
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
story on the cow? Where in Tennessee I might need to be on the lookout for that cow
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i can't help myself

humfrz (11-20-2021), x808drifter (11-19-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:16 AM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
story on the cow? Where in Tennessee I might need to be on the lookout for that cow
Oh, bout anywhere -

Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-20-2021)