follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Ghosttothepost

Drives: Graphite grey 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation No audio at all

Hello all. I recently purchased a 2017 86 from a salvage lot and rebuilt it. I plan on holding onto it for a long time and making some memories.

First hurdle seems to be that during a joy ride I turned up the bass and volume to enjoy my music when suddenly the audio cut out. Now there's no audio what so ever not even the beeps from the radio when you press the buttons and what not. Turning on the car off and on and the radio didn't seem to fix things.

Funny enough when I was typing this I just turned on my car and the radio/audio worked fine for a second before it went out again.

So Is this a speaker issue or the radio itself? Was planning on removing the radio to disconnect and reconnect everything to see if that will do the trick.
Ghosttothepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Ghosttothepost

Another car restart and the radio works. Obviously I'm afraid of even turning the nob an inch up.

Edit: it seems that after messing with it some more that at a certain volume or I guess bass boom. The audio cuts out. And turning the car off and on again gets it back working. Also it seems bumpy roads seem to knock it back on and off so I'm chalking up to some kind of wiring. Just wondering if it's the speakers or radio

Last edited by Ghosttothepost; 10-21-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosttothepost View Post
Another car restart and the radio works. Obviously I'm afraid of even turning the nob an inch up.

Edit: it seems that after messing with it some more that at a certain volume or I guess bass boom. The audio cuts out. And turning the car off and on again gets it back working. Also it seems bumpy roads seem to knock it back on and off so I'm chalking up to some kind of wiring. Just wondering if it's the speakers or radio

First off, pull the head unit out of the dash and look at the wiring behind there. If you see any signs of "altering", I would say that someone has done a poor installation of some of the components in your car.

There's probably a speaker or speaker wire that is shorting to ground. Pop one of your dash speaker grills out and snap a picture of what you find in there then post it here. We'll go from there. It wouldn't hurt to snap a picture of and post what you find behind the head unit as well.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:49 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Tell me you checked the fuse to make sure it wasn't defective or lose?

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:50 AM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Tell me you checked the fuse to make sure it wasn't defective or lose?

Doesn't hurt, but if the head unit is lighting up like it has power the whole time, it's more likely going to be either a fault in the head unit, or speaker wiring fault.

Important to check the wiring at this stage because if that's where the fault is, a replacement head unit is going to be a waste of money
humfrz (10-22-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Ghosttothepost

Welp, I popped the speakers and head unit out and took a peak, didnt fiddle or touch any wiring and put it back and viola somehow its magically fine now. Even after stress testing with the volume maxed and the Bass high. Really weird but, im not gonna go any further if its all fine at the moment. Still a weird random event cause it was fine for days before then only a couple of days it had that fuss and now since its been a week there's been no hiccups. I appreciate the replies and suggestions though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghosttothepost For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosttothepost View Post
Welp, I popped the speakers and head unit out and took a peak, didnt fiddle or touch any wiring and put it back and viola somehow its magically fine now. Even after stress testing with the volume maxed and the Bass high. Really weird but, im not gonna go any further if its all fine at the moment. Still a weird random event cause it was fine for days before then only a couple of days it had that fuss and now since its been a week there's been no hiccups. I appreciate the replies and suggestions though.
Yep, Bubba said it had a bad ground, fer sure.

Bad gas, bad dirt, bad ground - it had to be one of those three -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #8
Brz866

Drives: Series Blue WRB JRSC C38 HBP Flex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had alternator whine coming through my speakers due to a bad ground on the stock harness. Cut the wire, grounded to the frame behind radio, now it's gone. If you ever have another issue with the headunit I suggest changing the headunit to a dedicated ground.
Brz866 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz866 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-03-2021)

Tags
audio, problem, radio, speakers