follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #3921
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
If you hear something about getting 17x7" RFs in the US, let us know. There is a BBS RF thread in the wheels forum, too.

I thought about ordering them from Nengun in Japan, but by the time you factor in shipping and the "risk" surrounding a purchase like that, I decided I can live with stock wheels or RPF1s for autocross.
I will let you know.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #3922
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Not quite sure you understand the rules regarding port options. They can be installed AFTER you initially purchase the car, you know. You do not need to purchased the options "as installed" from the factory to be class legal.

Also, it is a huge misconception that Street(Stock) classes are for beginners. The class are designed to be the lowest level of prep, thus putting more emphasis on driver vs set-up. If you look at the group of drivers that regularly compete in the Street classes nationally, you'll find many of the champs are very far from being beginners.

The TRD parts still do not take away from the "low prep definition" since they are standardized and non-adjustable, ie...if you are competing against someone else in a TRD equipped FR-S, it's still comes down to the driving
I guess I got confused by what someone told me at our last event. I see that you are correct:

Page 71, Section 13 of the rules:

Quote:
Except for modifications authorized below, Street Category cars must be run as specified by the manufacturer with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together on a specific car. [...]

Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this section.[...]
I don't think Street Classes are for beginners. Beginners typically race in street classes. Therefore, any action undertaken by the SEB to alter Street Class will dis-proportionally impact beginners, and care needs to be taken not to dissuade participation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Seriously the performance difference between the TRD equipped FR-S and the non-TRD FR-S/BRZ is not significant enough to warrant pushing it to B-Street. A lot of you are acting like it's a 1 second, for sure victory kind of advantage. Are you at a slight disadvantage? Yes. Is it too much to overcome with better driving? No.

There's not a single class in SCCA where there isn't at least one type of car at a disadvantage. It's impossible to make it fair for everyone.
I don't actually think the FRS with TRD parts should be pushed to BS. I guess I didn't really make that clear at 2 AM when I was posting I agree that the TRD springs don't make a drastic enough difference to do anything about it. I was simply proposing a possible remedy if it were deemed a big enough problem.
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #3923
NJ10
Stiggasaurus Rex

Drives: '14 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BBS RG345 in 17x7 +48 (stock size)

amazing wheels, forged, but they weigh ~15.2 lbs per corner slightly more than RPF1s which are advertised at 14.8lbs I guess.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16146
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #3924
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ10 View Post
BBS RG345 in 17x7 +48 (stock size)

amazing wheels, forged, but they weigh ~15.2 lbs per corner slightly more than RPF1s which are advertised at 14.8lbs I guess.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16146
Bet you that they're still faster because forged has a lot less flex than cast. Lightest forged wheel > lightest cast wheel.

Also, I'm not sure you can buy those anymore.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #3925
NJ10
Stiggasaurus Rex

Drives: '14 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Bet you that they're still faster because forged has a lot less flex than cast. Lightest forged wheel > lightest cast wheel.

Also, I'm not sure you can buy those anymore.
That's nice to know.

Also, There was a set on the wheels classifieds page.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #3926
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ10 View Post
That's nice to know.

Also, There was a set on the wheels classifieds page.
The used ones from 2012? $1000 is a good price but wheels are a wear item and when I'm going to be racing 12+ events a year on them I don't risk ones that have been in use for 3 years.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 12-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #3927
Mr.Scion

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

My name is Alex, and I participate in a few regions here in the northeast.

My setup is MCS double adjustable dampers with TRD springs , Strano front bar, TRD rear bar, and RE71rs with 130 runs on them. Also, a Mach V muffler delete and a TWM competition shift knob ( like those make a difference)

Last season I participated in 3 regions and took place in about 5 regions. I started the year on an old set of star specs and bought the stones in early August. After the tires I bought a set of TRD springs and I really started to pull away from everyone. I just bought the MCS dampers from Strano last week and I'm waiting for them to be finished up.

So... I've been autocrossing for about 6 years, never showed up to any national events, and I had to pass nationals this year because I am finishing up my dissertation and didn't have the time. I attached a spreadsheet of my results from the season. You can see after I bought the bridge stones I was significantly more consistent. Although I placed 2nd in philly region, I can promise you I have him on his heels and plan on moving up with these new dampers.

Now that that is all out of the way. I look forward to following this thread. I may not contribute much, but I will read almost all the posts over time. Merry Christmas everyone and stay safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #3928
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
The used ones from 2012? $1000 is a good price but wheels are a wear item and when I'm going to be racing 12+ events a year on them I don't risk ones that have been in use for 3 years.
Wear rates for wheels are completely dependent on quality of wheel and type of use. If they were a set of rotas, yeah I would consider them done regardless of type of use. If a quality maker like BBS and on top of that an OEM factory option wheel, I wouldn't worry.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #3929
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Any suggestions on front endlinks? Perrin, Whiteline, another...?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #3930
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Any suggestions on front endlinks? Perrin, Whiteline, another...?
I personally have Whitelines, but if I'd had a welder handy at the time I would have just modified stock.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #3931
Plaid Man

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I personally have Whitelines, but if I'd had a welder handy at the time I would have just modified stock.
Modify stock how? Just cut and put adjusters in? I am looking at the same thing now as I have a problem with my MCS dampers. The shock body sticks so far down that at high steering angles the bottom of the shock hits the FSB endlink ball joint housing at the bottom. This is using a TRD FSB and stock end links. I am looking for ways to fix this. I am looking for different end links, that are either lower profile or longer so I can get them lower than the damper. Also wondering if the TRD FSB that I bought from an Ebay store is a knock off. Any suggestions?
Plaid Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #3932
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Man View Post
Modify stock how? Just cut and put adjusters in? I am looking at the same thing now as I have a problem with my MCS dampers. The shock body sticks so far down that at high steering angles the bottom of the shock hits the FSB endlink ball joint housing at the bottom. This is using a TRD FSB and stock end links. I am looking for ways to fix this. I am looking for different end links, that are either lower profile or longer so I can get them lower than the damper. Also wondering if the TRD FSB that I bought from an Ebay store is a knock off. Any suggestions?
Oh, well, my Strano (and, earlier, Whiteline) FSBs are both a little different than OE and require shorter endlinks. There's a thread or 2 about it - basically just cut a section out and reweld it.

I'm assuming the TRD bar is OE style and is supposed to work with the stock endlinks? I had a hell of a time getting my bars quieted ( http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=28 ) The Whiteline links are pretty bulky, so I'd recommend against them.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #3933
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Hey, good to see you here @Mr.Scion. Are those mudflaps C Street legal?

I'm hoping we'll both be top 10 in Philly region this year. Should be a fun year
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:07 AM   #3934
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If anyone is looking for CS legal wheels, my set of Kosei K4Rs (14.0lbs each) is for sale. $400 shipped. Nothing wrong with them except they're not wide enough for STX.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote