follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
tjohnson104

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
will not go into gear!

Hello everybody.

So the other day my car died on me in the middle of the road. When I mean die I mean that it would not go into gear. Any gear. If the car is off it will easily glide into every gear just fine. Its only when the car is running that I can not go into any gear preventing me from moving. I started it in first and chugged my way home. Some times (once it is running) I could easily go to 2,3,4 but some other times it was almost impossible. I am talking about using 2 hands to yank it down from 1st gear into 2nd gear. I did some research and looked at the clutch master cylinder. I topped it off with fluid and it worked for about 1 hour worth of driving until it broke down again.

I took out the clutch master cylinder today and cleaned it because this YouTube video showed the same issue and that was what worked for him (it was dirty and fully of black gunk at the bottom) but once I filled it up and bled it I am having the same issue. Can not go into gear.

My car is turbo but I don't race or launch it.
My clutch is a competition stage 2 with lightweight flywheel (about 2-3 years old) and it has the Verus clutch fork
Before I swapped clutches I had the original throw out bearing go out and I remember how loud and awful that noise was. I do not have that now.
I don't have any odd noises besides the normal chatter sounds due to the light weight flywheel.

I am at a loss on what to check for next. It could be the master cylinder is dead even though the pressing the clutch the fork moves just fine.
If the car is running and I have clutch down, when I move the shifter knob to try and go into any gear, its like its just hitting a wall. I can feel it want to engage because it tries to grab on and pulls the car forward a tad bit.

I watched videos of a slipping clutch and I don't have that. I had plenty of power when I was making my way home once I got it into gear. I really dont want to drop the transmission and buy a new clutch kit.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!
tjohnson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
"If the car is running and I have clutch down, when I move the shifter knob to try and go into any gear, its like its just hitting a wall. I can feel it want to engage because it tries to grab on and pulls the car forward a tad bit."

This part tells me the clutch is not disengaging the engine. Master cylinder is probably bad if you didn't hear the clutch fork pop and you're not getting any tob noise.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson104 View Post
Hello everybody.

So the other day my car died on me in the middle of the road. When I mean die I mean that it would not go into gear. Any gear. If the car is off it will easily glide into every gear just fine. Its only when the car is running that I can not go into any gear preventing me from moving. I started it in first and chugged my way home. Some times (once it is running) I could easily go to 2,3,4 but some other times it was almost impossible. I am talking about using 2 hands to yank it down from 1st gear into 2nd gear. I did some research and looked at the clutch master cylinder. I topped it off with fluid and it worked for about 1 hour worth of driving until it broke down again.

I took out the clutch master cylinder today and cleaned it because this YouTube video showed the same issue and that was what worked for him (it was dirty and fully of black gunk at the bottom) but once I filled it up and bled it I am having the same issue. Can not go into gear.

My car is turbo but I don't race or launch it.

My clutch is a competition stage 2 with lightweight flywheel (about 2-3 years old) and it has the Verus clutch fork

Before I swapped clutches I had the original throw out bearing go out and I remember how loud and awful that noise was. I do not have that now.

I don't have any odd noises besides the normal chatter sounds due to the light weight flywheel.

I am at a loss on what to check for next. It could be the master cylinder is dead even though the pressing the clutch the fork moves just fine.

If the car is running and I have clutch down, when I move the shifter knob to try and go into any gear, its like its just hitting a wall. I can feel it want to engage because it tries to grab on and pulls the car forward a tad bit.

I watched videos of a slipping clutch and I don't have that. I had plenty of power when I was making my way home once I got it into gear. I really dont want to drop the transmission and buy a new clutch kit.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Sounds like clutch to me. Something broke if the clutch fork moves fine then it's it's gotta be between the clutch and the transmission. I guess unless it's the transmission itself but I don't think so

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
What 'stage 2' clutch do you have?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
tjohnson104

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
What 'stage 2' clutch do you have?
the brand is competition.

https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...3#.X4M5uWhKhPY

I believe its this guy, unless they changed it through the years
When I ordered it, mine came with a lightweight flywheel as well
Old 10-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This really sounds like the car just isn't allowing the clutch to separate from the flywheel. Bring it to a shop and let them diag/fix the issue.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
This really sounds like the car just isn't allowing the clutch to separate from the flywheel. Bring it to a shop and let them diag/fix the issue.
Right? Sounds like maybe the clutch itself is broken or the fork isn't moving far enough to actuate the clutch

Old 10-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Right? Sounds like maybe the clutch itself is broken or the fork isn't moving far enough to actuate the clutch

Maybe if not the master cylinder, the clutch fork is getting very weak and only actuating intermittently, like a real fork that's been bent back and forth a bunch and is about to fail, but physically is still held together
Old 10-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
Ashikabi

Quote:
Maybe if not the master cylinder, the clutch fork is getting very weak and only actuating intermittently, like a real fork that's been bent back and forth a bunch and is about to fail, but physically is still held together
Pretty sure he said he has the Verus fork

Old 10-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Pretty sure he said he has the Verus fork

Ah yup. Then it's got to be the master cylinder. Unless he's neglecting to mention that his clutch pedal is stuck to the floor
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ashikabi (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
tjohnson104

Quote:
Ah yup. Then it's got to be the master cylinder. Unless he's neglecting to mention that his clutch pedal is stuck to the floor
yeah I do have the verus fork and pivot ball as well.

No, the pedal is working just fine. Its not getting stuck and feels normal as it always has.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson104 View Post
yeah I do have the verus fork and pivot ball as well.

No, the pedal is working just fine. Its not getting stuck and feels normal as it always has.
I thing fluid is escaping around the piston inside the cylinder. I would hit a junk yard and grba one for cheap to test.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
I thing fluid is escaping around the piston inside the cylinder. I would hit a junk yard and grba one for cheap to test.
I literally just threw mine away. RIP

Old 10-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #14
Gloonge

Quote:
I literally just threw mine away. RIP