follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #1
Phuviano

Drives: FRS RS 2.0 #757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 sets of tpms

Hi, this is my first car with tpms. I currently have my oem set of wheels. I'm looking for a set of winter wheels, possibly another set of oem wheels with tpms. If I have two sets of wheels, both with tpms, and lets say oem tpms.

Do I have to re-program the tpms every time I swap out the set? if so, is there a way I could DIY, instead of bringing it to shop to re-program it?

I have no knowledge on tpms, since this is my first car with them. Any help is appreciated.
Phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yes, you'd need to re-program the car for the new sensors each time you swap wheels. There are 3rd party tools to do that, but I've read that some had issues with the Twins. The programming tools would cost about 2-3 visits to the shop for the reprogramming so should pay itself fairly quickly.
An alternative are 3rd party TPMS sensor that "clone" your existing sensors, so whichever set is on the car they'll work without a re-program. These need to be programmed once when installed (to "clone" them).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Phuviano (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Garage
My winter tires are stored inflated about two car-lengths away from where I park each night. I never get a tire light unless I drive about 45 minutes away. Obviously my summer wheels dont have sensors.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I just drive without sensors in my winters. Yes the light stays on for a few months but after a couple of days you don't even notice it anymore. In fact it looks weird when I put the summers back on and it goes out.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
If you want functional TPMS sensors you will need to re-program. But assuming your tires with the programmed TPMS sensors remain in somewhat close proximity to the car, then it takes about 30-45mins of driving and being away from the programmed sensors before the light will trigger. It doesn’t really effect much even if it does trigger and will turn back off each time you are in close proximity to your programmed TPMS sensors (like parked over night) So it’s not really a big deal to just have only 1 set programmed. Decide which set having functional TPMS sensors is more important and leave it in them.

If you do want to have two functional sets it’s worth investing in the programmer. However they have cheaper programmers that can’t activate/wake up the TPMS. After i think about 3 months of the TPMS not being connected/programmed they “fall asleep” to preserve battery life. The cheaper programmers can not activate/wake up the TPMS only program them once they are awake.

I got this 2 years ago maybe cheaper ones now but this was the cheapest I could find at the time that can do it all, it’s about 200$
autil maxitpms ts501
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Phuviano (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I drive without TPMS in the summer.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:38 AM   #7
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3229657
timurrrr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (07-10-2020), Phuviano (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #8
Phuviano

Thanks for the info guys.

how do i know if a sensor is a blank one? Is it the ones that say "programmable" in the description. I think i'm just going to get a shop to clone my current sensors.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #9
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have two sets of PP wheels for my car. Today I went to NTB and had them read the TPMS IDs for the second set of wheels. Then I went home and swapped to the second set of wheels and set the TPMS IDs using Carista. $10 for a week pass of Carista and then set your TPMS IDs.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jo0 For This Useful Post:
Phuviano (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
Phuviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
I have two sets of PP wheels for my car. Today I went to NTB and had them read the TPMS IDs for the second set of wheels. Then I went home and swapped to the second set of wheels and set the TPMS IDs using Carista. $10 for a week pass of Carista and then set your TPMS IDs.
yeah I looked at Carista. However, I think it'll be cheaper just to clone the ID's to a second set. Every time I swap the tires, I will need to pay Carista. Also isn't there a fee of $30 or 40 initially? and then you can do the weekly pass? no?

Plus its more convenient to clone the ID because you don't have to update your ECU every time you swap the tires.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #11
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just did the weekly pass straight up. Finally have something to use my Google Play credits. If anything, I can just buy a QuickSet now that I know both sets of TPMS IDs.

I'm also not really changing my sets as often as you are. I initially got the second set of PP wheels for a track/autox set. Not sure how often I'm actually going to be switching sets to care about the TPMS light.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 AM   #12
Phuviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
I just did the weekly pass straight up. Finally have something to use my Google Play credits. If anything, I can just buy a QuickSet now that I know both sets of TPMS IDs.

I'm also not really changing my sets as often as you are. I initially got the second set of PP wheels for a track/autox set. Not sure how often I'm actually going to be switching sets to care about the TPMS light.
Oh sorry there's no fee. I went to the website again. Its $40 cad for the adapter. I would guess $30 usd for the adapter. Its $15 cad for a weekly pass.

I'm not changing the wheels often. Just once in the spring time, and once in the fall. I just rather not deal with plugging something into the OBD port if I don't have to.

When I clone my ID's, I can just swap the tires how I previously did on all my other vehicles. I want the tpms more for peace of mind. I recently had a flat tire after putting new tires on. Took me 4 days until I saw the tpms light come on. My tire had a nail on it. I saved my tire, because I didn't drive on the sidewall. Now if my tpms was not functional, I probably would have ended up driving on the sidewall, and ruining the tire. Then I would of had to buy a new tire.

If you don't care about the tpms light, don't even both with sensors. I'm a little OCD with most things, and want them to work they way they were designed, so the light would bother me a bit, but not knowing if my tires had a slow leak, and I end up driving on the sidewall would bother me more.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Carista app thing, but I don't think its right for me.