follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #29
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
Did you have the v3? The rattle has never bothered me enough to try these fixes.
Not sure, I bought it last year so it was at least a V2.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #30
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I could be wrong, but I feel like ever since this part was released in November of 2017, it said it was V3.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #31
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
I could be wrong, but I feel like ever since this part was released in November of 2017, it said it was V3.
So yes I must have had the V3. I promise you everyone saying the rattle doesn’t bother them either has a crazy loud exhaust or doesn’t rev out their engine or both.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #32
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
So yes I must have had the V3. I promise you everyone saying the rattle doesn’t bother them either has a crazy loud exhaust or doesn’t rev out their engine or both.
No, it just doesn't rattle like what you are saying for me lmao
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #33
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
No, it just doesn't rattle like what you are saying for me lmao
Mine either I get a tiny bit of rattle every now and then but it is mostly quiet.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #34
GrabTheWheel

Hey, not that I don't believe you guys but I'd love to see a video from anyone of them revving the car to redline in 1st and 2nd gear with the windows up just to prove that you don't have a horrible rattle. Again not saying yours rattles but would love to see it for myself considering the amount of effort I put into trying to stop mine from rattling. The best I could do was minimize the rattle below 4K rpm.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #35
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Installed my V3 last weekend, purchased from FT86speedfactory this October. This means it had the rattle "fix" kit included.

Rattles in 1, 2, 3, at 3000-3500rpm and up. Minimal rattle in 4, 5, 6 at cruising speeds. I like to downshift a lot and that is when you get some really nasty rattles... Something in the button area rattles for sure.

I've only lasted a week and it's pissed me off enough that I'm going to try and wrestle in the original stock shifter this weekend. I have absolutely zero rattles or vibrations in my car otherwise (seem to have won that lottery) so this one is pretty obvious and I don't think I can live with it.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #36
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
So now my shifter started rattling during normal driving. I have noticed if I reach over and push it to the side it stops. I believe this may be due to the shifter rattling against the limiting screws for 1st and 6th. I am going to pull them out and measure them and see if I can get nylon tipped ones.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Turbo (07-07-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #37
rev3la7ion

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6spd manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have the dimensions in MM for the rattle fix insert? I somehow lost mine and IRP is either ignoring my messages or just not wanting to ship me another.
rev3la7ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:17 PM   #38
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Checking to see if anyone has attempted any fix on the reverse button rod that connects the cable linkage?

That's where 100% of my rattle comes from.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #39
Ruben_86_

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It does not have a real solution, when installing the IRP it is canceling a silentblock and there will always be vibrations and noises, I sold mine and never looked back.
Ruben_86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #40
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben_86_ View Post
It does not have a real solution, when installing the IRP it is canceling a silentblock and there will always be vibrations and noises, I sold mine and never looked back.
I can't speak to everyone's vibrations in their shifter but mine is isolated to the rod in the reverse button exclusively. If the rod can be dampened my rattle will cease to exist. If not I'll likely fix the shifter button in place and mount the cable and release somewhere else.

But if someone's found a solution all for the better then I don't even have to R&D it.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #41
Ruben_86_

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
I can't speak to everyone's vibrations in their shifter but mine is isolated to the rod in the reverse button exclusively. If the rod can be dampened my rattle will cease to exist. If not I'll likely fix the shifter button in place and mount the cable and release somewhere else.

But if someone's found a solution all for the better then I don't even have to R&D it.
If you manage to solve that vibration, it will surely end up appearing somewhere else
Ruben_86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:24 PM   #42
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post

The rattle is actually internal vibrations transferred from the shift shaft just inside the gearbox then along the rod up into the shifter mechanism.

The trick is to try and dampen the rod mechanism as it exits the upper rear casing area, and then dampen the whole shifter arm.

I created a sort of "V" shaped bush that the shifting rod sits/slides in, wedged, on top of the large ring where the prop shaft enters the gearbox.
I use a very large zip tie that creates a small amount of downward pressure to force the rod against the "V" of the bushing.

That takes care of the most obnoxious rattle, but you still need to do some work above the tunnel, inside the car.

I simply take lots (lots!) of fairly dense insulation foam (the sort of black foam you wrap around a roll cage for example), cut it into smallish strips, roll them tight.
Then you go to town and pack/squeeze/push them into the entire cavity around the stick mechanism...so that it sort of fully/firmly encases the mechanism, as high as you can go.

Of course make sure all linkages, and bolts on the shifter are as tight as possible (I use locktite blue)

Its painful, but this removes about %90 of the rattle.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote