follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
dc2stud

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Leaking diff. At pinion seal, after replacing Throwout Bearing

Hey guys, I want to share my story to see if anyone else has had the same issues.

So about 1 year ago I had my final drive changed to an MFactory 4.67, loved it by the way. No problems for awhile then I started to get shutters from first gear engagement. Did my research and diagnosed the problem to a failing throwout bearing as it was making the grinding sound when clutch was pressed in. So I replaced everything, new throwout bearing, pivot arm, even got a new exedy stage 1, since I was opening her up. Car is a 2013 74k miles. During the install my shop pointed out that my diff was leaking at the pinion seal, driveshaft and diff connection. So I changed the diff fluid to see if it was an immediate issue. Well one week later it痴 pouring out and burning on my exhaust, noticeable smell. So I sent the car back to the shop, after 1 month of hearing nothing I finally get word that my ring and pinion have prematurely worn, and they need to be replaced. Shop says they think the leak started after the wearing to the ring and pinion. So my question is, do u think the MFactory parts are the problem or could I have had a small leak at the pinion seal that caused the ring and pinion to wear from low fluid in the diff. Any input would be appreciated Thanks
dc2stud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dc2stud For This Useful Post:
Carsnguitars (07-09-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I would expect that the install of the final drive created the problem. Could've been too tight (to much preload causing premature bearing failure), could've had a bad gear mesh (gears pressed too hard against each other or too much slop). If you kept the same differential, then the only other real explanation would be that there is metal shavings tearing up the seals which would be caused by poor installation.

I did my own final drive and differential change and know how tedious the process can be to get things to align perfectly while keeping preload where it needs to be for new/used bearings.

You won't know for sure until you tear it open!
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-05-2020), Tcoat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just adding some supplemental info as to the difference in final-drive ratios (since I asked the question to myself, clicked , and resulted this handy chart).

https://jackstransmissions.com/blogs...ar-ratio-chart
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
dc2stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
I would expect that the install of the final drive created the problem. Could've been too tight (to much preload causing premature bearing failure), could've had a bad gear mesh (gears pressed too hard against each other or too much slop). If you kept the same differential, then the only other real explanation would be that there is metal shavings tearing up the seals which would be caused by poor installation.

I did my own final drive and differential change and know how tedious the process can be to get things to align perfectly while keeping preload where it needs to be for new/used bearings.

You won't know for sure until you tear it open!
Well the same shop is installing the new ring and pinion. They claim the premature wear is what caused the leak from cheap parts. So I知 going to demand they change the diff fluid after 500 miles and see if it痴 got a lot of shavings again. That would mean it was installed incorrectly again right?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
fika84

Garage
I suppose it's possible the MFactory gears wear oddly.. I've never used them or known anyone that has personally. "Premature wear" backs up what I said about it potentially being installed incorrectly. How many miles did you get on the gears before the pinion started leaking? Are you installing another MFactory gear set?

I would always expect some fine shavings coming out of the differential fluid. Nothing large for sure. I think it would be a decent idea to have them check up on it somewhere between 500-1500 miles after initial install.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
something is out of alignment, putting stress on the seal as well as the internals to the diff.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
dc2stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
I suppose it's possible the MFactory gears wear oddly.. I've never used them or known anyone that has personally. "Premature wear" backs up what I said about it potentially being installed incorrectly. How many miles did you get on the gears before the pinion started leaking? Are you installing another MFactory gear set?

I would always expect some fine shavings coming out of the differential fluid. Nothing large for sure. I think it would be a decent idea to have them check up on it somewhere between 500-1500 miles after initial install.
Yeah I知 gave them the same 4.67 ring and pinion. I知 not certain when the leak actually started, but I only put 9k on the car since they were originally installed. Hoping for a better result next time.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2stud View Post
Yeah I知 gave them the same 4.67 ring and pinion. I知 not certain when the leak actually started, but I only put 9k on the car since they were originally installed. Hoping for a better result next time.
9k? That's definitely installation error!

Tags
differential, final drive, mfactory final drive, pinion seal