follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #421
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage

@serialk11r

Under 7mm auto finally!

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
jawn (04-07-2016), MTpockets (04-07-2016), NWFRS (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #422
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

Under 7mm auto finally!
Nice! <7mm is crazy, it uses a micro rotor right? How much was that? The only other micro-rotor watches I've seen are Pateks and the micro-rotor Seagull which is like 3k.

Incidentally my Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time just shipped says the sketchy Ebay dealer, looking forward to getting it next week. I'm a little worried about the Hardlex crystal, but I guess it can always be replaced by sapphire if I like...

Now on watch number 4 and exhausted my list of cheap watches...what should be the next one? Seagull tourbillon, Grand Seiko, or JLC Master Control? Probably should wait until the company is closer to a liquidity event to buy something that expensive lol...I gotta save money for my future midengine car and its 9000rpm motor build too, which is kind of a necessity I must have even if my equity goes bust.

On that note, I just called a ridiculous car a necessity. I am hopeless.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-07-2016 at 06:26 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Dimman (04-07-2016), jawn (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #423
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Nice! <7mm is crazy, it uses a micro rotor right? How much was that? The only other micro-rotor watches I've seen are Pateks and the micro-rotor Seagull which is like 3k.

Incidentally my Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time just shipped says the sketchy Ebay dealer, looking forward to getting it next week. I'm a little worried about the Hardlex crystal, but I guess it can always be replaced by sapphire if I like...

Now on watch number 4 and exhausted my list of cheap watches...what should be the next one? Seagull tourbillon, Grand Seiko, or JLC Master Control? Probably should wait until the company is closer to a liquidity event to buy something that expensive lol...I gotta save money for my future midengine car and its 9000rpm motor build too, which is kind of a necessity I must have even if my equity goes bust.

On that note, I just called a ridiculous car a necessity. I am hopeless.

Longines 994.1, thinnest central rotor with date ever made, 2.95mm. I don't know what the final cost is going to be since I bought it for $300 with a known broken date quick-set. Local vintage guys can't get parts, so I sent it back to Longines. We'll see what the bill ends up being.

So are you doing algos for front-running high frequency trades (or whatever techno economics jargon) now? JLC all the way, but the Grand Seiko may be lower key if you crash the economy and the mobs come. Heh...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
jawn (04-07-2016), MTpockets (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #424
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Longines 994.1, thinnest central rotor with date ever made, 2.95mm. I don't know what the final cost is going to be since I bought it for $300 with a known broken date quick-set. Local vintage guys can't get parts, so I sent it back to Longines. We'll see what the bill ends up being.

So are you doing algos for front-running high frequency trades (or whatever techno economics jargon) now? JLC all the way, but the Grand Seiko may be lower key if you crash the economy and the mobs come. Heh...
Interesting. There's a guy at work with something...I forgot what it was, but it's 8k and he said he has to send it to the factory for maintenance every other year or so, which runs 1k. Yikes.

Nah, I am in SF at a lending startup. Bet on the equity so not much cash right now. If I were in trading, I would have a JLC already, plus a better car :P Speaking of better car, I realized that the parking I pay in SF is more than the maintenance on an Aston Martin Vantage or Porsche 911 T_T
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 AM   #425
serialk11r

Garage
Aight Seiko arrived yesterday, obligatory post:

I was a little worried about the diameter because I like watches with smaller faces, but this one works very nicely. The blue on the dial is very subtle, and you might think it's just a silvery metallic color until you hold it up next to a piece of white paper and notice the blue tinge.

This thing is really really thick (oh wait, I have calipers time to measure..), 13.2mm says my calipers, which I think is a little clumsy and ugly. That said, everyone loves the sunburst dial so it's still a styling win.

The one thing I'm pretty pissed about is the strap, which is total garbage in every way. It's some kind of patent/calfskin with ...alcantara? on the inside, blue stitching, and one of those flip? clasps. The smooth leather makes it look like a rubber or plastic band from a Swatch. I hate the clasp, I have the clip at the 3rd hole in the leather band, and it is a sort of loose fit but it pinches my arm when I try putting it on. The clasp opens when you bump it against anything, but is super hard to close. Perhaps worst of all, the leather around the hole is starting to tear already...

I ordered an "alligator" (stamped cow leather) strap off Ebay to replace this POS. Got a second one to replace the black strap on my Seagull M201s with a brown strap. Not sure if that one is going to look good, because it's such a simple design and kind of fits with the black.

I've offically exhausted my wishlist of inexpensive watches...gotta actually save up for my next one haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (04-11-2016), Dimman (04-18-2016), JRRIII (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #426
serialk11r

Garage
Aaaand the strap is already destroyed, can't wait till I get the $3 cheapo faux alligator replacements.

Pro-tip: If you get a Seiko with flip clasp, order another watch band at the same time.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #427
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Aaaand the strap is already destroyed, can't wait till I get the $3 cheapo faux alligator replacements.

Pro-tip: If you get a Seiko with flip clasp, order another watch band at the same time.
How did you do that so quick? I've had mine for almost a year and it's been fine!

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #428
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
How did you do that so quick?
By wearing it...seriously.

The problem with the clasp is that the pin is too short/comes out too easily and barely holds onto the hole in the leather. The leather is also suspiciously weak, because I abuse my other faux alligator bands pretty badly and they have held up very well for years.

I expected a lot better for a 400 dollar watch. Thankfully, watch bands are pretty cheap.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #429
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Aight Seiko arrived yesterday, obligatory post:

I was a little worried about the diameter because I like watches with smaller faces, but this one works very nicely. The blue on the dial is very subtle, and you might think it's just a silvery metallic color until you hold it up next to a piece of white paper and notice the blue tinge.

This thing is really really thick (oh wait, I have calipers time to measure..), 13.2mm says my calipers, which I think is a little clumsy and ugly. That said, everyone loves the sunburst dial so it's still a styling win.

The one thing I'm pretty pissed about is the strap, which is total garbage in every way. It's some kind of patent/calfskin with ...alcantara? on the inside, blue stitching, and one of those flip? clasps. The smooth leather makes it look like a rubber or plastic band from a Swatch. I hate the clasp, I have the clip at the 3rd hole in the leather band, and it is a sort of loose fit but it pinches my arm when I try putting it on. The clasp opens when you bump it against anything, but is super hard to close. Perhaps worst of all, the leather around the hole is starting to tear already...

I ordered an "alligator" (stamped cow leather) strap off Ebay to replace this POS. Got a second one to replace the black strap on my Seagull M201s with a brown strap. Not sure if that one is going to look good, because it's such a simple design and kind of fits with the black.

I've offically exhausted my wishlist of inexpensive watches...gotta actually save up for my next one haha.
It's screaming for a decent Nato strap 4/5 ring type.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #430
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
I've had Hardlex before with the old SBBN007 Tuna and yea they do scratch rather easily so you got to be careful.

Having said that, my current MM300 also has Hardlex and I beat it to death however not a single scratch, maybe the bezel took all the hits lol!

Quote:

Yea the casing is thick probably because your watch has a display back? This is the reason why I would never trade my old SBGR001 for any of the new fancy GS watches as solid backs tend to make the watch thinner and more comfy to wear.

The leather bands always have that soft suede on the back even the very nice ones, but they don't last if you have sweaty wrists.

But yea don't expect too much these days for $400 bucks, but you are still getting a lot of watch from Seiko. I remember over a decade and a half ago a Quartz Tuna was $300 bucks, now they are like over $1000 and the clasp doesn't even have "Japan" stamped on it anymore.

Personally I don't understand the trend with crazy large diameter watches these days, as if everybody grew up wearing POP Swatch or something lol!

Last edited by krayzie; 04-16-2016 at 01:13 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #431
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Headed to the beach with my Nomos.

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaBRZ For This Useful Post:
krayzie (04-17-2016), NWFRS (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #432
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Yea the casing is thick probably because your watch has a display back? This is the reason why I would never trade my old SBGR001 for any of the new fancy GS watches as solid backs tend to make the watch thinner and more comfy to wear.

The leather bands always have that soft suede on the back even the very nice ones, but they don't last if you have sweaty wrists.

But yea don't expect too much these days for $400 bucks, but you are still getting a lot of watch from Seiko. I remember over a decade and a half ago a Quartz Tuna was $300 bucks, now they are like over $1000 and the clasp doesn't even have "Japan" stamped on it anymore.
Yea it has a display back, but the display back thickness is ridiculous...but a big source of thickness of the watch is the crystal, which bulges more than 1mm out of the bezel. I have a feeling it's going to attract lots of scratches.

The suede is not really the issue, it's that the clasp's pin doesn't go all the way through the watch and tears the outer leather part.

I guess I'm just used to my Seagulls, which are honestly really damn good quality for the money. They use sapphire on the display back on anything over 200 dollars, the bands are sturdy and functional metal or leather, and the movement finishing is really pretty. Their shortcoming is that there are some tiny visible blemishes; in very bright light I can make out a scratch on one of the hour markers on my M201S, there's a tiny smudge on one of the gears in my 819.351 and a tiny speck of dust under the crystal that you have to look pretty hard to find.

That said, the Seiko isn't flawless either. The 12, 6, 9 o'clock markers aren't cut perfectly symmetrically if you look closely.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-16-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #433
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Some beautiful watches in this thread, but none can compare with this one. This watch, no matter how long I've had it, just doesn't get any better. Few people are willing to take a chance on wearing a watch of this quality. I've owned quite a few watches in my lifetime, and this is definitely one of them. If you get a chance to buy one of these, I'd jump on it instantly; these watches don't last long. Enjoy!

Barry
Attached Images

Last edited by MuseChaser; 04-17-2016 at 12:18 AM.
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #434
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBRZ View Post
Headed to the beach with my Nomos.
Whoa that's nice. Must... have...

:p

Edit: I just looked up prices for those watches and ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Jesus.

IG: @MonKehC

Last edited by AznKirby; 04-16-2016 at 08:34 PM.
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznKirby For This Useful Post:
PandaBRZ (04-17-2016)

Tags
watches