follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heat rejecting window film...

Since I have an 86, I figure this is not off-topic.

I volunteer at a non-profit Yoga studio and money is tight there. We desperately need to put some heat-blocking window film up in a few places. I'm not sure if we are going to do the install ourselves or not, but I know from some limited car experience install on a flat pane of glass should be easy-ish.

I'm sure there is someone here who can tell me what I should be looking for and perhaps name a few good brands of window film. Heat rejection is the most important consideration.

Thanks!
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,828 Times in 16,430 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post

I volunteer at a non-profit Yoga studio and money is tight there. We desperately need to put some heat-blocking window film up in a few places. I'm not sure if we are going to do the install ourselves or not, but I know from some limited car experience install on a flat pane of glass should be easy-ish.

I'm sure there is someone here who can tell me what I should be looking for and perhaps name a few good brands of window film. Heat rejection is the most important consideration.

Thanks!
All I know is that back-in-the-day I was trapped in an office with one side all windows (facing West). Talk about a solar oven …..

So, I decided to help the situation by installing some of that stuff ……. by myself.

Well, it looked like shit! Many bubbles and wrinkles that just wouldn't "rub out" ……..

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Try https://www.windowtint.com/ and https://www.decorativefilm.com/ and http://www.coloredfilms.com. They all send out free samples.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
PetrolioBenzina (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have Llumar ceramic film on my car, and it is fantastic at rejecting heat and UV. I can literally feel the difference on my skin between window up and window down in direct sunlight. I can drive all day with my arm on the door in direct sunlight and not get a sunburn through it.

It's not inexpensive, but if you apply it yourself you would at least save on the labor cost. You'll be able to work all the bubbles out of it with the right tools. Where a pro installation will make a difference is making it invisible around the edges.

If it's set up properly as a legitimate non-profit, you might want to see if any local installers would be willing to donate the labor. It would be a tax break for them, and they really wouldn't have any cash out of pocket if they can come during a slow time when it's not taking them away from paying customers. You might have had better luck with that during the winter months, but it's still worth a shot. They may even be willing to donate the materials if they have some spare rolls from a large job laying around that are essentially already paid for.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
PetrolioBenzina (05-24-2018), PNW-BRZ (05-27-2018), Tcoat (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
11 dollars in duct tape, and 6 dollars in tin foil should cover any set of windows.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Go to any Home Depot/Lowes/ home improvement store they will have window tint. Less than $50 should do it.
Or any car window tint would work. It's just not that much compared to home window rolls.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
PetrolioBenzina (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
11 dollars in duct tape, and 6 dollars in tin foil should cover any set of windows.
Left to my own, that would probably be considered. The owner might not think it was so great, though.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have south facing windows in FL and covered them with the heat rejecting film from Home Depot. It made a large difference in the heat gain. Putting the film up is not that hard with to people. Use the kit that has the spray with a soap like substance, and the very sharp cutter. Clean the window and the area three times as dirt and dust will cause problems. It also has a squeegee that is less likely to scratch the film, but I use paper towels wrapped around the edge of the squeegee to help move the water out and absorb it at the edge.. I also use a rubber roller to get the water and air out with out scratching the film . Brake the blade off after only a few cuts as the glass will dull the blade very quickly.
Do not use a cleaner that has ammonia.

Doing it to a car is a different prosses.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You are gonna want a spray bottle and a squeegee. I worked in a warehouse where we had to apply vinyl to 5'x5' boards. The trick was to get some slightly soapy water, spray the whole surface down, apply the vinyl, and use the squeegee to get any remaining water / bubbles out. The soapy water will make it possible to move it after it is applied but once you squeegee the water out it will stick.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:28 AM   #10
Spechtre

Drives: 2014 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post

Thanks!
Have you searched for room darkening or light filtering contact paper?

Here is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KORFHSI...a-392927708803
Spechtre is offline   Reply With Quote