follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
wtf? we're enthusiasts, not environmentalists. but whatever, it's your business .

does this mean you will no longer be tuning vehicles?
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
wtf? we're enthusiasts, not environmentalists. but whatever, it's your business .

We will still be offering tunes for vehicles.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post

I have to agree there is a fine line with this, like to hear Jeffs thoughts on it. I knew not making a header was related to cats as well.

Also those who have the catted front pipe are you guys going to maintain an inventory for warranty support?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
cjsporl1996
Banned

Drives: WRB BRZ, Monte Carlo SS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
@PERRIN_Jeff has been extremely busy, so I apologize for his lack of response!

In regards to why the front pipe has been discontinued, there is no state that allows for cats to be replaced unless they have failed or are out of warranty. Even then, they need to be a proper cat and the high performance cats do not qualify for legal replacement.

There will always be companies bending the rules to do this, but we are taking the "green" high road.
I have to agree with the other posts most car enthusiasts can care less about the environment. I absolutely love my Perrin header back system. Unfortunately I think this is going to hurt business in the long run.
cjsporl1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
PERRIN_Jeff

Drives: Matte Black STI
Thanked 1,546 Times in 206 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Mladen said it correct.
There is no state that allows for cats to be replaced unless they have failed, are out of warranty or damaged. Even then, they need to be a cat that is as good or better than the replacement. At this point there isn't ANY high performance cats that qualify for legal replacement, we hope this changes!

We have NEVER had one of these parts fail, we have NEVER had a part with fitment issues, and while it is was expensive to make, that has nothing to do with why we temporarily stopped selling the part.

There is no state that it is legal to remove or defeat and emissions control device. We always get customers that say "I don't live where emissions testing is required so it doesn't matter, make me this part!". This does not make it ok to run catless, or defeat emissions control devices just because your area doesn't test for it. Just like its not legal to drive 100MPH in places where there are no police around.

This is a slightly sad story, but trust me, there are other ways to make power, and other things we have up our sleeves to keep customers coming to PERRIN for their BRZ needs.
PERRIN_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Jeff For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl1996 View Post
I have to agree with the other posts most car enthusiasts can care less about the environment. I absolutely love my Perrin header back system. Unfortunately I think this is going to hurt business in the long run.
That's a pretty broad generalization don't you think? Just because someone is a car enthusiast and enjoys Motorsports doesn't mean you can't do it in an environmentally responsible way. While I agree that Perrin potentially might lose a portion of their market by not selling performance parts that directly affect emissions of a vehicle, there are still plenty of ways to improve a vehicles performance without affecting how "green" it is in a negative way. Sometimes you can even increase a vehicles performance while making it greener at the same time. I for one bought the BRZ not only because it's a great looking car and looked like it would be amazing to drive on a track, but also because I knew I could get 30+ mpg's while driving it daily. There's no way my old STi could manage that.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
987 motorsports, exhaust, headerback, perrin, review