follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #15
sds

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I would be happy with that. What is the ambassador coupon? This is my first Subaru purchase so I don’t know. Is it something anybody can get?
Yes, as long as you get the coupon prior to payment. Joint the BRZ/GR86 FB group and ask--you'll find someone that can refer you to the discount.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sds For This Useful Post:
Up4speed (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
Narwhal

Drives: GR86
Like everyone is saying, msrp probably about the best you can do right now. Toyota dealers are selling more than they have inventory. No reason to go under for them
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:23 PM   #17
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
I just got back from the two closest dealers to me. One wanted $1,000 over MSRP, and the other wanted $2,000 over. I'm not happy.
I was shooting for $500 under MSRP, but willing to go up to MSRP, but they wouldn't budge.
I'm refusing to pay over MSRP (and if everyone else did, prices would go down). I have bought many cars for over 30 years now, and NEVER paid even MSRP (I always made fun of people paying sticker, lol). I usually pay below invoice, so for me to pay MSRP, it's a big deal to me, lol.
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #18
sds

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
I just got back from the two closest dealers to me. One wanted $1,000 over MSRP, and the other wanted $2,000 over. I'm not happy.
I was shooting for $500 under MSRP, but willing to go up to MSRP, but they wouldn't budge.
I'm refusing to pay over MSRP (and if everyone else did, prices would go down). I have bought many cars for over 30 years now, and NEVER paid even MSRP (I always made fun of people paying sticker, lol). I usually pay below invoice, so for me to pay MSRP, it's a big deal to me, lol.
To be honest, $1000 over isn’t bad if it’s the exact car you want…

You can probably get MSRP on an order by shopping across state lines.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #19
C R

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
It's a sellers market, paying MSRP these days is standard, specially for this car. It's the reason I drove 9 hours to get mine, at MSRP. I'm not too mad considering I got $21.5k for my 4 year old 66k mile GTI a few weeks ago. A few months ago the most I could've gotten was $15k.
C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:15 AM   #20
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
To be honest, $1000 over isn’t bad if it’s the exact car you want…

You can probably get MSRP on an order by shopping across state lines.
I'm trying to stay fairly local if possible. And willing to pay MSRP.
I will call around tomorrow to see if any dealer is willing at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C R View Post
It's a sellers market, paying MSRP these days is standard, specially for this car. It's the reason I drove 9 hours to get mine, at MSRP. I'm not too mad considering I got $21.5k for my 4 year old 66k mile GTI a few weeks ago. A few months ago the most I could've gotten was $15k.
I agree, the car I'm going to sell is also a GTI. I will get about $2k more for it than typical, and that's why I'm willing to pay about $2k more for the new car. Which happens to be about MSRP. That's the highest I will go because it's a matter of point for me. Plus I will buy the BRZ first, then sell my GTI once the BRZ is broken in. So with my luck, I will buy high, and by the time I'm ready to sell, the market for my used car will plummet, lol
Old 01-06-2022, 12:22 AM   #21
Up4speed

Has anyone here purchased on Long Island for MSRP? If so, which dealer?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:10 AM   #22
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by C R View Post
9 Hours? Which dealer? I didn't check local dealers for inventory, but seeing that you're in Austin, I had several dealers in DFW who would let me order @ MSRP.

Also great insight, if you're trading it or selling an existing vehicle you're probably getting significantly more. In your examples let's assume the following:

BRZ Limited $31,455 MSRP, 10% discount = $28.3K, then trade in your GTI for $15k and you're out of pocket $13.3K
BRZ Limited $31,455, Full MSRP - $21.5K trade = ~$10K out of pocket

The current market sucks if you don't have a trade or a vehicle to sell, but if you do, it's not that bad.

Last edited by MisterGoober; 01-06-2022 at 02:20 AM.
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:15 AM   #23
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Quote:
Has anyone here purchased on Long Island for MSRP? If so, which dealer?
The problem (with almost any car right now) is that dealers aren't getting enough inventory and are charging hefty premiums for cars available on the lot.

Most dealers I spoke with were far more likely to be reasonable when placing an order. I was able to find 3 in my area that were @ MSRP or very slightly below for an order. Make sure you ask about any "packages" they add. I had a few dealers tell me they're at MSRP, but then add a mandatory package for $500-1000 for nitrogen, tint, etc.
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGoober For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:28 AM   #24
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
The problem (with almost any car right now) is that dealers aren't getting enough inventory and are charging hefty premiums for cars available on the lot.

Most dealers I spoke with were far more likely to be reasonable when placing an order. I was able to find 3 in my area that were @ MSRP or very slightly below for an order. Make sure you ask about any "packages" they add. I had a few dealers tell me they're at MSRP, but then add a mandatory package for $500-1000 for nitrogen, tint, etc.
I was curious and called around in my area, no one has anything in stock right now and they can do orders but anything ordered now will come in around July at this point, plus the lowest mark up so far today was $6k over MSRP. Maybe "California tax", I don't know. So my current deal at 1k over MSRP with an ETA of May isn't so bad, in comparison. It was the best I could find when I decided to finally buy almost a month ago now.

Also, one dealer here has them at MSRP but with about 4-5k of mandatory dealer packages.

For me, maybe I can get one sooner if I get lucky enough to find something unclaimed and in a dealer somewhere with the hope it's at MSRP at least... but that seems unlikely.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:57 AM   #25
Tr4ck_day

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm a sales manager in a NorCal dealership if anyone has questions about orders.
Tr4ck_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #26
C R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
9 Hours? Which dealer? I didn't check local dealers for inventory, but seeing that you're in Austin, I had several dealers in DFW who would let me order @ MSRP.
Bryan Subaru in New Orleans. I hit up the dealerships all around TX, to include El Paso. Most dealers were okay with MSRP, but the cars they had and even the ones in transit were already claimed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #27
Wtfmayo

Drives: '06 Evo 9 MR , '87 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ck_day View Post
I'm a sales manager in a NorCal dealership if anyone has questions about orders.
Are you guys doing any markups? I assume you work at subaru?
Wtfmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:58 PM   #28
Up4speed

Thank you all for the responses and help, I truly appreciate it!
I just placed the order for an Ignition Red, limited, 6 spd manual. I also added the mirror.
Thankfully I was able to get it from my local dealer (which I preferred since I already have a working relationship with them), I got it for MSRP. I guess in today's market, it is a fair price, and I will make up some money selling my GTI higher than typical, so it evens out.