follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
superpenguin
Some Random

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Superpenguin's "Not Another Build Thread!" Build Thread

Welcome to my build thread! This is going to take a while, because I'm focusing more on my driving than mods at this point, and the guys who are competitive aren't running a ton of performance mods anyway. My progression will look something like this:

Driver Mods > Safety Mods > Performance Mods

I'll be running primarily in NASA but have been out to SCCA events and might "slum" it with Pro Autosports as well. I previously had an RX-8 R3 and an RSX-S that I did HPDEs and Time Attack events with.

Big thanks to Mike @ CSG and Hal Dunn for the starting out/setup advice for this platform.

I took delivery of my little track slut from Big Two Toyota back in April. Oddly they seemed pretty clueless about the TRD stuff and I didn't end up getting as much as I wanted because they didn't have pricing for it :s

First things first, had them add tint, Scion clear bra, rear spoiler, TRD intake, Exhaust, and Short Shifter.

First picture once everything was done:

The garage is filling up!

Cooling off at our first track day (SCCA Track Night in America):

And then picked up this little bastard on the way home:

I can't sit here and tell you I was heartbroken...after considering cost and lead time I went ahead and replaced all 4 tires with 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

At the track, my best time of the day was 1:14 on WHP East. That's about 10 seconds off Hal's most recent time, and all things considered I think that ain't bad. I'll be back out there in a couple weeks with the PSS's and I'm really interested to see if those times come down at all (though the temps will be up in a big way).

As far as mods go, next up will definitely be a set of dedicated track wheels/tires. I'm thinking of grabbing the 17x9 OZ Formulas while TireRack is still giving them away at $140/each. Also trying to decide if I want to get a quality set of entry level coilovers (ST XTA/KW V1, Bilstien PSS14) or wait and do it right once (KW Clubsports, AST,RCE, Ohlins).

In case anyone is interested where the "super penguin" thing came from, it was here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9c8FJ19yVE"]The Penguin Dilemma - Translation - YouTube[/ame]

And this was the orignal "super penguin with the big balls"... my 2008 Carrera S (gone...traded for the M3!)

Last edited by superpenguin; 05-27-2015 at 06:33 PM.
superpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superpenguin For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
superpenguin
Some Random

Reserved for track lolz
Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
whiplash
Cone Killer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Nice ladies you got there in the garage!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Are you still using the stock brake pads and fluid? I've heard most of the people who track say the stock brakes just can't handle much tracking before being toast...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
superpenguin
Some Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Are you still using the stock brake pads and fluid? I've heard most of the people who track say the stock brakes just can't handle much tracking before being toast...
hmm, guess I should have mentioned that I'm on stock pads, and I flushed the system with ATE Type 200 before the first track day. I had three 30 minute sessions at ambient temps from 80-90 degrees and didn't experience any brake fade. Now, to be fair, I wasn't trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out, and the track we were on isn't as hard on brakes as some of our other ones. That being said, I was really happy with how the brakes held up.

2015 FRS NASA AZ #550
The Following User Says Thank You to superpenguin For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-28-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Glad to see another Zonie hitting the tracks!

Hal and Mike have both been super helpful to us as well (wife and I share the car and track time). If you get the chance, have Hal drive your car a few laps while you passenger. I managed to get my own time to within about a second of his time in my car after learning his lines.

I've posted a ton of video from Wildhorse east and west tracks in our thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53463

I look forward to seeing you on the track soon! I just need oil and tranny coolers before we go back out - this Fall should be nice!
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
That Dakar Yellow is a thing of beauty. What was the reason for a move to the FRS for a track toy? The one thing I've figured out since moving away from the BRZ is there are tons of better/cheaper places to start for track builds.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
ModinJapan

Drives: 2013 SCION FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Nice idea on bettering your driving skills then the car, the opposite of most people.

Also nice garage, 4.4 liter v8 twin turbo, 4.0L N/A v8, and a 2.0l v4.. You've got a fun collection there sir!

-Josh
ModinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, nasa, timetrial