follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #25803
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I was looking into doing something...
The sound in my 17 is just...Odd... The sound quality is better than I remember from the 13 but the sound imaging is weird IMO.
Wasn't sure if swapping the head unit only would help a whole lot.
I don't know about the 17's, but I know the earlier ones didn't have a whole lot of EQ or balancing capability. That's one thing that makes the OEM Audio+ setup such a great solution. They built in their own EQ capability and took the time to properly measure and balance everything specifically for this car. It's just a lot of money and not everyone is looking for a complete solution. A lot of people have reported better quality audio from swapping the head unit.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #25804
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I don't know about the 17's, but I know the earlier ones didn't have a whole lot of EQ or balancing capability. That's one thing that makes the OEM Audio+ setup such a great solution. They built in their own EQ capability and took the time to properly measure and balance everything specifically for this car. It's just a lot of money and not everyone is looking for a complete solution. A lot of people have reported better quality audio from swapping the head unit.
Like the Bongiovi "upgrade" they wanted $12,00 for when I bought my car? It didn't help and I refused to pay for it so made them take it out.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #25805
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like the Bongiovi "upgrade" they wanted $12,00 for when I bought my car? It didn't help and I refused to pay for it so made them take it out.
I've heard that about the Bon Jovi upgrade. The OEM Audio+ review threads on here speak very highly of their products though. And they've been a vendor for years; they're very engaged with their customers. I'd buy it, but there's always some necessity that pushes the niceties down the list of priorities.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #25806
Tcoat

Quote:
I've heard that about the Bon Jovi upgrade. The OEM Audio+ review threads on here speak very highly of their products though. And they've been a vendor for years; they're very engaged with their customers. I'd buy it, but there's always some necessity that pushes the niceties down the list of priorities.
Would the OEM Audio+ system work well with the sub systems we have discussed? I have heard good things about their own subs as well?
I have decided that I will probably keep this car well after it is paid off and not do my normal 5 year trade in (the wife was both shocked and very happy when I told her this last week) so don't mind spending some money to upgrade the sound system. If I was doing my normal trade in I wouldn't have bothered but if I am going to do it I want to do it right.
finch1750 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #25807
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Would the OEM Audio+ system work well with the sub systems we have discussed? I have heard good things about their own subs as well?
I have decided that I will probably keep this car well after it is paid off and not do my normal 5 year trade in (the wife was both shocked and very happy when I told her this last week) so don't mind spending some money to upgrade the sound system. If I was doing my normal trade in I wouldn't have bothered but if I am going to do it I want to do it right.
I picked up the OEM+ system a while back. From what I have read it is really tuned for their specfic system so it might not be perfect with a different sub. It may overpower the rest of the frequencies. That said with their sub the bass is perfect driving around town, not over powered but enough to bump a little. On the freeway with my loud exhuast and noisy tires though it can be a bit underpowered unless my back seat is down. But then the rear deck or something rattles. I usually just turn treble down and bass up or switch to the "feel" setting instead of "natural" and it gets better. I tend to not listen to words much anyway on longer drives and just like the beat

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #25808
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
OEM Audio+ uses their own sub and amps. Their sub is a quad voice coil 8" with a 100w amp. I don't think you can buy any of their kits without the sub. The amp and DSP actually mounts on the back of the sub enclosure.

Here is a thread for info and reviews. If I was going to do the thing, I'd go all in with the sound deadening like nalc did, and get the OEM+ kit with the upgraded speakers and all the bells and whistles.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92147
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #25809
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Like Finch stated, it's a great system... I'm pretty sure you can tune it to different subs, but I would highly recommend going all OEM A+.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #25810
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
OEM Audio+ uses their own sub and amps. Their sub is a quad voice coil 8" with a 100w amp. I don't think you can buy any of their kits without the sub. The amp and DSP actually mounts on the back of the sub enclosure.

Here is a thread for info and reviews. If I was going to do the thing, I'd go all in with the sound deadening like nalc did, and get the OEM+ kit with the upgraded speakers and all the bells and whistles.

I really think sound deading may be the key. Maybe one day I'll get around to installing some in the trunk

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 01-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #25811
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I picked up the OEM+ system a while back. From what I have read it is really tuned for their specfic system so it might not be perfect with a different sub. It may overpower the rest of the frequencies. That said with their sub the bass is perfect driving around town, not over powered but enough to bump a little. On the freeway with my loud exhuast and noisy tires though it can be a bit underpowered unless my back seat is down. But then the rear deck or something rattles. I usually just turn treble down and bass up or switch to the "feel" setting instead of "natural" and it gets better. I tend to not listen to words much anyway on longer drives and just like the beat
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Like Finch stated, it's a great system... I'm pretty sure you can tune it to different subs, but I would highly recommend going all OEM A+.

Thanks guys. I have read through many of the sound threads but am still undecided. There are just so many options.

The last time I upgraded sound in a car I installed one of these:

Dadhawk (01-19-2017), ichitaka05 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #25812
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I really think sound deading may be the key. Maybe one day I'll get around to installing some in the trunk
Here's a very comprehensive DIY thread, with pictures.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511

Nalc said it brought the cabin noise down to entry luxury vehicle levels, but there will always be some noise because our glass is thin. Total cost of all the supplies was about $600. Between the noise reduction and the sound quality upgrade, that should be a very satisfying improvement. And who knows, the OEM hands-free mic might actually not suck as bad with all the sound deadening in place.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #25813
Tcoat

Quote:

Nalc said it brought the cabin noise down to entry luxury vehicle levels, but there will always be some noise because our glass is thin. Total cost of all the supplies was about $600. Between the noise reduction and the sound quality upgrade, that should be a very satisfying improvement. And who knows, the OEM hands-free mic might actually not suck as bad with all the sound deadening in place.
I have no intention of going to that extreme but would like to hit all the speaker critical areas. Can only leave the folded paper shoved in my door switch housings for so long.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #25814
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:

Holy crap. Not sure i would go that far haha. I was thinking start with the trunk and maybe the rear seats and front footwell eventually. I still want to wrap my front pipe. On my last car it really helped throw the sound more towards the rear

Old 01-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #25815
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
I have no intention of going to that extreme but would like to hit all the speaker critical areas. Can only leave the folded paper shoved in my door switch housings for so long.
I would consider at least dynamat (or non-name brand alternative) on the doors, front seat floors, and roof. If I couldn't do all of it, I'd do doors and floors.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #25816
Tcoat

Quote:
I would consider at least dynamat (or non-name brand alternative) on the doors, front seat floors, and roof. If I couldn't do all of it, I'd do doors and floors.
And trunk. Shit. In retrospect I guess I AM looking at going to that extreme after all.

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis