follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #29
JDM_Import
Banned

Drives: Boosted Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Thanks, Glenn!

Nice that it's available in 5 gallon pails. Looks like that will drop the cost by about 50% compared to buying the 32oz cans.

I didn't know they had this in 5 gallon pails, how accurate is this information?

If so you just need to buy a measuring device so you can measure 32oz of additive each time or whatever your tune calls for.
JDM_Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #30
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Import View Post
Thanks for sharing some good points. I also see real real value in going from 94 Octane to approximately 99-100 Octane.
Orange plugs will definitely happen with octane boosters. In regards to that bad batch of 94 Octane you experienced... its always good to have 91 Octane back up map!
My back up is for real race gas lol !
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #31
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Import View Post
I rather go with an Octane booster any day!
No tune is required when you put in the Boostane right?
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #32
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
No tune is required when you put in the Boostane right?
No new toon required.
No significant advantage unless gas used is under octane required.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
botbs (02-22-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #33
botbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
No new toon required.
No significant advantage unless gas used is under octane required.

I am still having issues with knock using BC 94 Chevron Gas on my Cosworth SC BRZ (2018 model), a reputable tuner here said the 94 gas I am using behaves like 89.

I added a can of 16 oz Boostane Premium in a full tank of 94, it doesn't help per the tuner.

I am thinking to pour another bottle of Premium and see if it works.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #34
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
I am still having issues with knock using BC 94 Chevron Gas on my Cosworth SC BRZ (2018 model), a reputable tuner here said the 94 gas I am using behaves like 89.

I added a can of 16 oz Boostane Premium in a full tank of 94, it doesn't help per the tuner.

I am thinking to pour another bottle of Premium and see if it works.
My experiences are with TORCO which was long used by the racing community before BOOSTANE was around.
Torco always brought up the octane sufficiently with bad gas, the lower the octane the greater amount of TORCO.
The most I have ever used to stop knock was half a can. Normally it only takes a few ounces with under octane fuel. I can see the knock values drop as the fuel reaches the plugs until the IAM reads 1.
I still only use Torco.

Remember- the fuel lines are full of lower octane gas if the previous user didn't pump 94 and I don't wait and watch to get behind someone who uses
94 - hence the Torco.
The Following User Says Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
botbs (08-08-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #35
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Remember- the fuel lines are full of lower octane gas if the previous user didn't pump 94 and I don't wait and watch to get behind someone who uses
94 - hence the Torco.
I was always curious, any idea how much fuel is in the lines before a different octane makes it into the tank?

I try and let my car get down to around 1/3 or 1/4 tank so I can sufficiently fill it with the most 94 possible. I deal with the same issue at petro with shared tanks using 87-94.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #36
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I was always curious, any idea how much fuel is in the lines before a different octane makes it into the tank?

I try and let my car get down to around 1/3 or 1/4 tank so I can sufficiently fill it with the most 94 possible. I deal with the same issue at petro with shared tanks using 87-94.
Enough to cause knock, (when stock, and with my built long block with supercharger).
After driving for a while on a new fill of polluted 94, I see knock, add a few ounces, try again if IAM doesn't move to 1.
Usually the first few ounces of Torco in petrocan 94 does it.(Still available I believe from BRZWORLD).
Don't know about Boostane.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #37
86driftcar

Drives: BRZ
Hello all - I've been researching RaceGas (Octane boosters) for Supercharged twins and the results are actually impressive. With Boost + 94 Octane + 32 ounzes of RaceGas in your gas tank you'll achieve about 40-50 extra WHP.
My questions is if an individual is thinking of buying RaceGas, a can of 32oz seems quite expensive.
Does anyone know where you can find RaceGas by the barrel or drum in Ontario, particularly the GTA?

Last edited by 86driftcar; 06-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #38
botbs

Just want to give you guys an update.

I am now using Shell 91 with boostane professional (1 can). It works really well, IAM is at 1 and no more knock on my supercharged BRZ.

For some odd reason, it is actually better than Chevron 94 + Boostane (per datalog). Chevron 94 has a few small correction. No idea why.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #39
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd like to add a couple of things. To give some perspective, while I am new to the FT86 platform, I am far from new to tuning and much of it has been high performance high boost 4 cylinder engines of Japanese origin.

To the BC person who is using Chevron on their boosted engine, switch to Shell 91 Vpower Nitro+ Has to be the Nitro+ one. For a few years now, many of us out in BC with boosted tuned cars have noticed less timing being pulled, less knocksums etc with this fuel. Replicated at will over years on many different platforms. Datalogs and live data to back it up, not just butt dynos.

And secondly, in no way is water/methanol injection dangerous or "bad" for the engine in and of itself. If you don't stay on top of it, and run out of juice, you can damage the engine if you still romp on it because now it will knock like crazy. I have run a 3 nozzle methanol water injection system for over a decade on a daily driver and on a weekend warrior with zero problems except for a small leak and running out of fluid a couple of times. Both are no problem if you are paying attention. Hell the leak even happened on the dyno. We just noted it and kept going, monitoring knock and timing of course and keeping the tank full.

Have a reliable way to monitor knock. Live if possible. I had converted the cars stock boost gauge into a knocksum gauge so it was a dead giveaway if something was wrong.

Don't be scared of a good methanol/water injection setup. It also cleans valves and piston tops and keeps cats healthy. My emissions testing numbers were always extremely good. many 0.00 results.

If I can find a small enough pump, I will probably do it on my BRZ as well. E85 isn't available to my area and I don't like the lower energy content of alcohol for a daily driver either. Knowing how octane dependent these engine are, I suspect E85 type gains could be had with a simple methanol/water injection system.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #40
Koba

Drives: 2020 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
Hello all - I've been researching RaceGas (Octane boosters) for Supercharged twins and the results are actually impressive. With Boost + 94 Octane + 32 ounzes of RaceGas in your gas tank you'll achieve about 40-50 extra WHP.
My questions is if an individual is thinking of buying RaceGas, a can of 32oz seems quite expensive.
Does anyone know where you can find RaceGas by the barrel or drum in Ontario, particularly the GTA?
http://performanceunlimited.ca/sbfm-...els-m-98-fuel/

Not exactly GTA, but they will make you almost anything you want... bring wallet
Koba is offline   Reply With Quote