follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #155
pro_turbo

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Not sure if this helps... Technically, most can IDs are similar in MT / AT. To my knowledge I haven't observed anything diffent... That being said... iF the can us was partially implemented.... Like RPM, it's transmitted 3 diffent times in diffent part of 2 ID atleast. If they missed one of those then it's possible that it could not run properly. And some bits that flip based if the gas pedal % etc.... Oh and def they will need to make sure they send torque values and some other stuff. Technically the car cna operate without them... But the car would freak out. Do this.. get tech stream.... Connect it and read the TCM. And look what codes you get. And it will give you a clue on what's happening / why. This had nothing to do with OBD2 though. And the possibility of it being your cat could also be it. When it dough though. Check tech stream. Sorry for the late reply.
Indeed.. i datalog and copy matching it from TechsStrram last time.
But i had a still lost the blip throttle when downgear..
Silly. I am about to change my mind to reflash rather than motec.
.aybe i will use my m150 on other engine.
But where will my Loom and Map goes.
Its almost 3k alonv with full logs license
pro_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #156
pro_turbo

Drives:
Quote:
Not sure if this helps... Technically, most can IDs are similar in MT / AT. To my knowledge I haven't observed anything diffent... That being said... iF the can us was partially implemented.... Like RPM, it's transmitted 3 diffent times in diffent part of 2 ID atleast. If they missed one of those then it's possible that it could not run properly. And some bits that flip based if the gas pedal % etc.... Oh and def they will need to make sure they send torque values and some other stuff. Technically the car cna operate without them... But the car would freak out. Do this.. get tech stream.... Connect it and read the TCM. And look what codes you get. And it will give you a clue on what's happening / why. This had nothing to do with OBD2 though. And the possibility of it being your cat could also be it. When it dough though. Check tech stream. Sorry for the late reply.
when i installed the M1 into the car..
the obd for engine dtc will no longer can accessible
only for the other module such as trans, air con, abs, air bag
pro_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #157
adrianj73

Drives: '13 FRS
Hey guys. Zero experience with the 86 platform, but have been playing around with BMW CAN bus stuff for a few years and done a bit of Motec firmware development.

Laying out plans for a full cage track build and pretty much gutting the OEM electronics. So far I think I'm just keeping the ABS and EPS, but wondering if anyone has logged CAN and determined if the TPMS data stream carries actual tire pressures. On a lot of BMWs, the iDrive display doesn't let you see actual pressures, only "ok" or "not ok", but the CAN stream actually transmits the 4 tires pressures when active, but only at 5 sec transmit rate. This may still be useful enough for data logging when overlaid with other data.

Anyone have any idea?
adrianj73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #158
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianj73 View Post
Hey guys. Zero experience with the 86 platform, but have been playing around with BMW CAN bus stuff for a few years and done a bit of Motec firmware development.

Laying out plans for a full cage track build and pretty much gutting the OEM electronics. So far I think I'm just keeping the ABS and EPS, but wondering if anyone has logged CAN and determined if the TPMS data stream carries actual tire pressures. On a lot of BMWs, the iDrive display doesn't let you see actual pressures, only "ok" or "not ok", but the CAN stream actually transmits the 4 tires pressures when active, but only at 5 sec transmit rate. This may still be useful enough for data logging when overlaid with other data.

Anyone have any idea?
unfortunately not for the actual values of pressure/temp. only for the light in the dash
Old 02-25-2022, 01:31 AM   #159
Stephane3296

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone managed to get Can-bus data using a raspberry pi and a PiCAN shield. I am able to use the Cansniffer can0 to see the data, however, using it in a program is where I'm running into trouble. I am encountering a problem with the PIDs having a value greater than 256 (a byte), which gives me an error with the python-can module of:

self.data = bytearray(data)
ValueError: byte must be in range(0, 256)

I am aware this has more to do with the coding side of working with Can-bus data than what the post has mostly talked about, however, I have been stumped on it for a while and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has done it.

Thank you all for your time, if you have any questions about the code or anything please let me know.

The code I am trying to get working:
[URL="https://github.com/blupants/chupacarbrah"]
Stephane3296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:31 AM   #160
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane3296 View Post
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone managed to get Can-bus data using a raspberry pi and a PiCAN shield. I am able to use the Cansniffer can0 to see the data, however, using it in a program is where I'm running into trouble. I am encountering a problem with the PIDs having a value greater than 256 (a byte), which gives me an error with the python-can module of:

self.data = bytearray(data)
ValueError: byte must be in range(0, 256)

I am aware this has more to do with the coding side of working with Can-bus data than what the post has mostly talked about, however, I have been stumped on it for a while and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has done it.

Thank you all for your time, if you have any questions about the code or anything please let me know.

The code I am trying to get working:
[URL="https://github.com/blupants/chupacarbrah"]
you will be better off getting a good form somewhere like stackoverflow. since your using generic obd2. it means they can probably help you and it would apply for this car too. but it may be that somehow your program is declaring you PID as a value greater then a byte?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #161
Stephane3296

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Quote:
you will be better off getting a good form somewhere like stackoverflow. since your using generic obd2. it means they can probably help you and it would apply for this car too. but it may be that somehow your program is declaring you PID as a value greater then a byte?
Awesome thanks, we tested the code with the general PIDs found on the Wikipedia page for engine rpm and other Can-Bus IDs, all of which are lower than 256 when decoded from hex (0C, 0D). The code worked, as in no errors occurred, but it wasn't providing any data as it wasn't the proper Can ID. However, the BRZ uses different PIDs, those of which are higher than 256 which is when we encountered the problem.

I have contacted the people developing the python-can module with the same question, however, I will still post on the StackOverflow forums page to see what they say.

Thank you again for the input!
Stephane3296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:27 PM   #162
STIG in Nevada

Drives: 2013 FRS pearl White
CAN Bus communication issue

I'm not doing an engine swap, and certainly I have little feel for most of teh technical discussion here, however I do have a CNBUS related issue.

I have been getting a lot of CEL light issues which the code reader says are "CANBUS Unable to Communicate", along with some pretty strange electrical demons (IE: trunk suddenly pops open while parked or driving, engine continues to run after key off and removed).

I'm chasing my tail on this stuff and coudl use some expert advice. I'm trying to avoid replacing teh ECM and other modules blindly.

The car is an early 2013 (2012) 6 speed, not modifications at all and hs about 87,000 miles on it.

Help!
STIG in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:41 PM   #163
brzlegend

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIG in Nevada View Post
I'm not doing an engine swap, and certainly I have little feel for most of teh technical discussion here, however I do have a CNBUS related issue.

I have been getting a lot of CEL light issues which the code reader says are "CANBUS Unable to Communicate", along with some pretty strange electrical demons (IE: trunk suddenly pops open while parked or driving, engine continues to run after key off and removed).

I'm chasing my tail on this stuff and coudl use some expert advice. I'm trying to avoid replacing teh ECM and other modules blindly.

The car is an early 2013 (2012) 6 speed, not modifications at all and hs about 87,000 miles on it.

Help!
Start with techstream and a cheap Openport 2.0 adptor. You will have to search to get a cheap one.
brzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #164
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I did some searching in here and didn’t notice it mentioned, but does the factory ecu have the terminating resistor in it? Trying to get my Emtron setup and think that might be my issue, but wanted to confirm. There is 0 info available about canbus integration with Emtron that I can find.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:03 AM   #165
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
I did some searching in here and didn’t notice it mentioned, but does the factory ecu have the terminating resistor in it? Trying to get my Emtron setup and think that might be my issue, but wanted to confirm. There is 0 info available about canbus integration with Emtron that I can find.
yes. One is in the ABS unite and the other on the ECU. If you take out either you must replace it with one or enable it in the software if it has a selectable termination resistor.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #166
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
yes. One is in the ABS unite and the other on the ECU. If you take out either you must replace it with one or enable it in the software if it has a selectable termination resistor.
Thanks!

Off topic, sent you a pm on some wiring questions.