follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Jerr

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S / Edelbrock SC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Galley Plug Adapters and Temp Sensor Fitment

Hey all! I've been struggling for a few days with a technical issue installing an Oil Temp Gauge from AEM.

I recently ordered this guy:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...e-digital-52mm

And read thread after thread of locations and adapters needed to support these gauges. It seems like most people linked this adapter:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/sho...il-galley-plug

Which apparently now does not exist. I also came up with more questions than answers looking up "sub11024aa210", which is a valid part number, but refers to a M18x1.5 male to 1/8 BSPT female adapter for an EJ motor, and my sensor is 1/8" NPT. I therefore ordered one off of amazon just using the search term "1/8 BSPT to NPT adapter" and came up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-Female...dp/B00V5Q6GME/

However, the temperature probe on the AEM sensor is too thick to fit inside the center hole, and even if dremeled out, the tip of the probe is short and would not reach out the other end.

It cannot be this difficult, can it? I assume everyone who posted in those threads got their oil temp sensors/probes working, so my question is, how? Is there another adapter I can use with a larger inner diameter and shorter length? I'm afraid dremeling this adapter out too far will weaken it to a point of failure.

Thanks in advance for any assist.
Jerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerr View Post
Hey all! I've been struggling for a few days with a technical issue installing an Oil Temp Gauge from AEM.

I recently ordered this guy:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...e-digital-52mm

And read thread after thread of locations and adapters needed to support these gauges. It seems like most people linked this adapter:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/sho...il-galley-plug

Which apparently now does not exist. I also came up with more questions than answers looking up "sub11024aa210", which is a valid part number, but refers to a M18x1.5 male to 1/8 BSPT female adapter for an EJ motor, and my sensor is 1/8" NPT. I therefore ordered one off of amazon just using the search term "1/8 BSPT to NPT adapter" and came up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-Female...dp/B00V5Q6GME/

However, the temperature probe on the AEM sensor is too thick to fit inside the center hole, and even if dremeled out, the tip of the probe is short and would not reach out the other end.

It cannot be this difficult, can it? I assume everyone who posted in those threads got their oil temp sensors/probes working, so my question is, how? Is there another adapter I can use with a larger inner diameter and shorter length? I'm afraid dremeling this adapter out too far will weaken it to a point of failure.

Thanks in advance for any assist.
What do you mean the temp probe is too thick? And too short? It doesn't need to be in the oil galley. It'll read the temp just fine from the other end of that adapter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
Jerr

Thanks for touching base!

The inner hole of the adapter is smaller than the width of the AEM temp sensor probe.

If It's okay to dremel it out I suppose I can go that route, but I've been reading lots of threads about inaccurate temps based on location as well and figured indirect access to oil would make the reading cold.

So for full clarification: the stock pressure sensor, and the oil galley plug on top of the motor are both 1/8" BSPT/PT correct? Neither is M18x1.5?

-J
Old 01-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
Ashikabi

Quote:
Thanks for touching base!

The inner hole of the adapter is smaller than the width of the AEM temp sensor probe.

If It's okay to dremel it out I suppose I can go that route, but I've been reading lots of threads about inaccurate temps based on location as well and figured indirect access to oil would make the reading cold.

So for full clarification: the stock pressure sensor, and the oil galley plug on top of the motor are both 1/8" BSPT/PT correct? Neither is M18x1.5?

-J
I don't know what size the ports are, sorry. When I had my gauge, I used a Glowshift adapter that had multiple ports in it. It was 1/8bspt. I put it where the stock pressure sensor is, near the oil filter. Then I put the stock sensor and my new one into it. I'm not sure what port you're trying to use but I can't see a reason why other ports would be different sized.

Edit: I looked at your sensor and adapter. On paper you should be fine. Maybe you were sent the wrong adapter? Seems unlikely the AEM sensor could be wrong since they probably only have the 1 size. Maybe a trip to the hardware store to verify sizes is in order. Not sure what else to tell you honestly. It "should" work as is with no modification

Old 01-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #5
Jerr

Thanks again. The confusion on port size came from (very old) threads which all linked to the aforementioned Subaru part which is M18x1.5 thread into the engine and allows for a 1/8" NPT sensor (and a wider hole for the prong). If everything is 1/8" BSPT, I don't see why they would have linked it.

I'm staying away from the "T" adapters since they're prone to failure/cracking at the mount.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
Ashikabi

Quote:
Thanks again. The confusion on port size came from (very old) threads which all linked to the aforementioned Subaru part which is M18x1.5 thread into the engine and allows for a 1/8" NPT sensor (and a wider hole for the prong). If everything is 1/8" BSPT, I don't see why they would have linked it.

I'm staying away from the "T" adapters since they're prone to failure/cracking at the mount.
I understand. I wasn't suggesting to change adapters but verifying that the adapter I used (and worked) was the same size as yours. Now an m18 port was never intended for a sensor. Perhaps that's where the factory fills the oil or flushes the casting. The LS engines have similar ports in the side. Same thread size too iirc. If you can find such a port, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:05 AM   #7
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
@Jerr I think your problem lies in the difference between how you are using the port and how most people have used it on this forum.

Most people who use the oil galley location actually incorporate a pressure sensor & gauge (not temperature). The pressure sensor cavity is flush and doesn't need to probe through like a temperature sensor.
  • The car already has built-in oil temperature. You can pull it up via OBD.

People link 1/8" BSPT adapters because the majority of non-US made gauge/sensor kits popular on import platforms actually use BSPT (think Blitz, HKS, Defi, Greddy, Apexi, TRD, Pivot, Revel, etc.)

If you want to make this easy on yourself and you want to press on with an NPT temperature gauge, get a sandwich plate from a US make. Mishimoto has one that utilizes 1/8" NPT.

I don't see any problem boring out the BSPT to NPT adapter as long as you feel comfortable with the amount of material left over for the threads. The engine oil system only goes up to ~200 psi. Metal fittings are plenty strong for that

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 01-05-2021 at 01:16 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Jerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
@Jerr I think your problem lies in the difference between how you are using the port and how most people have used it on this forum.

Most people who use the oil galley location actually incorporate a pressure sensor & gauge (not temperature). The pressure sensor cavity is flush and doesn't need to probe through like a temperature sensor.
  • The car already has built-in oil temperature. You can pull it up via OBD.

People link 1/8" BSPT adapters because the majority of non-US made gauge/sensor kits popular on import platforms actually use BSPT (think Blitz, HKS, Defi, Greddy, Apexi, TRD, Pivot, Revel, etc.)

If you want to make this easy on yourself and you want to press on with an NPT temperature gauge, get a sandwich plate from a US make. Mishimoto has one that utilizes 1/8" NPT.

I don't see any problem boring out the BSPT to NPT adapter as long as you feel comfortable with the amount of material left over for the threads. The engine oil system only goes up to ~200 psi. Metal fittings are plenty strong for that
I appreciate the input, thanks. I'll move forward with boring out the adapter. I actually am installing both an oil pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge (and did not go with the Innovate dual sensor because I wanted a temp number visible). The pressure gauge fit perfectly as you noted and shouldn't cause issues.

I'll let you know what I find as far as the galley plug goes and if there is indeed an M18 available or not.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
Jerr

Update for everyone:

The galley plug on top of the engine is indeed M18x1.5 threaded, standard to Subaru EJ (and now FA) engines. It is NOT 1/8" BSPT, that is the thread of the oil pressure sensor on the front of the block. To remove the galley plug, you'll need a H8 hex bit, and the following adapter is for NPT sensors:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...-8-npt-adapter

as well as a new gasket:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ey-plug-gasket

Refer to this video for proof of the galley plug size and removal process (he also links parts he used for adapters):

Old 08-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #10
RodTGG

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 2014 MY 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread but am having the same issue and cant find much info if its possible to make this work.

Theres a lot of info on making pressure/temp sender work off the Galley Plug, but was hoping to get both sensors running off a sandwich plate adapter

Was boring out the adapter the only solution?

Got some AEM gauges from a friend thinking a simple 1/8 BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female would work with my Blitz Oil Filter Adapter H.

Pressure Sender would work no problem as it fits in the adapter, but the AEM oil temp sender needle is too thick or the adapter or is too small and wont reach the threads.

Any help is appeciated!

Last edited by RodTGG; 08-19-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling and info
RodTGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have a Jackson Racing sandwich plate and used these for temp and pressure.
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...UaAq_xEALw_wcB
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
RodTGG

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 2014 MY 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dam, sadly that wouldnt work for the Blitz one. Looks like that one has M22 ports and the adapter is specific for it.

The Blitz adapter only comes with PT ports i think
https://www.blitz.co.jp/products/met...tachment.htmlz

The adapter i got looks like
https://raceworks.com.au/fittings/ad...male-adapters/

But the tip of the temp sender wont fit through it
RodTGG is offline   Reply With Quote