follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #281
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Most of that claim is based on the aerodynamic efficiency. The first round it was going to be gas powered and they claimed 300MPG. According to their website it has the same drag coefficient as the side mirror on a F150.

That's also where the "charged by the sun" option comes from as it uses little enough power it can charge about 40 miles a day depending on the location. They have an estimator on their website.

Like you say, I'll believe it when we see it.
I remember Aptera's previous incarnation with the fantastical MPG claim. It would be wonderful - IF it was true. Aerodynamic efficiency is important, and it's terrific that they are trying to make a car as efficient as possible by reducing drag. But to me, 300 MPG sounds like a similar stretch as a 1000 mile range. For so many years there was the recurring myth of the '100 MPG carburetor'.

I know they need to be bold and aggressive in projecting exciting things to attract investment. I had to play those games in my career too. But I think you just shoot yourself in the foot and undermine your credibility if you stretch things too far. I've seen so many companies get increasingly desperate to raise money and make progressively less credible claims to try to get it. It can start a vicious cycle and spiral of bigger and bigger claims until they talk themselves out of being believed at all. There's a fine line between innovative and impossible.

I truly hope Aptera makes it. In a world of consolidation and 'mass market cars', we could use some alternative, out-of-the-box thinking and cars that the big companies won't make. The Aptera is a niche vehicle. A lot of people will be turned off by the looks alone (though for me that's a huge attraction), the limited utility of a 2-seater with little cargo space, and just the perceived 'weirdness' of a 3-wheeler. It will also be interesting to see how such a light car would fare in an accident, though as a 'motorcycle' they might not have to do formal crash tests (they talk about 'Supremely Safe', I'd like to see just what 'supremely' means in the real world).

I'm not a fan of BEVs, but if it actually makes it to production with performance (and price) anywhere close to their daring claims, I'd consider one for myself and my wife (though at the pace they've been going, I might not even be around by the time it sees the light of day). To me it looks like one of the first BEVs that might actually have a bit of fun to it.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2020), soundman98 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #282
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@AnalogMan, I'm on-board with pretty much all you said there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
It will also be interesting to see how such a light car would fare in an accident, though as a 'motorcycle' they might not have to do formal crash tests (they talk about 'Supremely Safe', I'd like to see just what 'supremely' means in the real world)..
They will not have to do crash testing, that's the primary reason (I believe) they are doing it as a three wheeler although there may be some aerodynamic advantage to it. it wouldn't be technically required to have air bags or seatbelts either I don't think, although I think it includes both.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 12-06-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), soundman98 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #283
AnalogMan

Quote:
@AnalogMan, I'm on-board with pretty much all you said there.

They will not have to do crash testing, that's the primary reason (I believe) they are doing it as a three wheeler although there may be some aeridynamic advantage to it. it wouldn't be technically required to have air bags or seatbelts either I don't think, although I think it includes both.
It will be interesting to see if any crash tests are done independently, by Consumers Reports, one of the car magazines, or maybe even Aptera themselves (though I'd take those results with a grain of salt). Air bags and shoulder belts are reassuring, but don't guarantee safety. I wouldn't expect it to have the 5-star NHTSA crash test rating that many cars do, but then neither would I be too thrilled about driving around in something where a fender-bender could result in a trip to the hospital.

I imagine many people will ask the same question. I showed the photos and video to my wife, and the first thing she said was "How safe will that be?"
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #284
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I imagine many people will ask the same question. I showed the photos and video to my wife, and the first thing she said was "How safe will that be?"
They will, and should ask questions and decide if they want to assume the risk. It is, for all intents and purposes, an enclosed tri-wheel motorcycle.

As Polaris said when they released the Slingshot (this quote is from Forbes, credited to Polaris:
Quote:
"Slingshot is a 3-wheeled motorcycle. It is not an automobile, it does not have airbags, and it does not meet automotive safety standards."
As someone who rides motorcycles, I'm OK with that, as I know my safety is completely up to me.

Aptera does address this on their website saying:
Quote:
We will not know Aptera's actual rating until we pass a production vehicle through the full safety test. But we are designing to exceed all passenger car standards and the previous version had the highest roof crush strength of all passenger cars on the road, and it performed exceedingly well in actual side and frontal crash tests. Aptera features a Formula One-inspired safety cell with advanced composites and metal structures for impact strength. Similar to aerospace and racing, these energy-absorbing methods are a core part of our safety strategy and have proven effective time and time again in high speed impacts. Aptera also makes use of today’s best forward and side airbag systems in case of an accident.
so it does look like they intend to do the safety testing. Not completely surprised by the results since it is built from kevlar, carbon fiber and just to complete the far out image, hemp.

I'm seriously considering putting a deposit down, as I like the quirkiness of the whole thing. They've already"sold out" of two categories, you have to "build your own" at this point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), Wally86 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #285
AnalogMan

Quote:

I'm seriously considering putting a deposit down, as I like the quirkiness of the whole thing. They've already"sold out" of two categories, you have to "build your own" at this point.
I'm with you, I like the quirkiness of it too. I personally am too leery of putting any money down now. First because real-world performance of the final product might be very different from the claims - I want to see reviews and drive it for myself. Second, I'm reticent given the company's colorful history and financial background. I don't have that much money that I could painlessly write off a lost deposit. I truly hope they succeed, but I would hate to see the company go bankrupt again with my deposit vanishing into the night.

From the company's perspective, they love to take deposits and 'pre-sell' cars. It's non-dilutive financing, they don't have to sell any shares or take on any debt, and it's more money in the bank. In the event of a liquidation, I imagine the people who gave deposits would be the last in line after the creditors, debt holders, and institutional shareholders. I'll wait, even though at my age, time is a limited and rapidly diminishing resource.

It'll be very interesting to see the first real-world reviews and drive tests of the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #286
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

Is there a promised delivery date yet? 2022?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #287
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Is there a promised delivery date yet? 2022?
The FAQ on their site says first deliveries will be in 2021. It doesn't say if that is December 231st, 2021.

I guess we'll see if they make it. I remain on the fence.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #288
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
December has 231 days? Longest month ever!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #289
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
December has 231 days? Longest month ever!
Yea, that was the joke, you know, like really some time in 2022

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #290
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
One man's opinion...

Old 12-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #291
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i don't agree at all with him that small 3-wheelers or otherwise will become popular in the future. especially not on vtol's ever taking off, literally and figuratively.

history's shown since the early 1900's that american's buy the absolute largest vehicle they can afford. smart car's demise in the US and existence in the EU re-affirms that as well. smart and similar only existed in the time that a surge in gas prices made large vehicles unaffordable to the majority.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #292
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i don't agree at all with him that small 3-wheelers or otherwise will become popular in the future. especially not on vtol's ever taking off, literally and figuratively.

history's shown since the early 1900's that american's buy the absolute largest vehicle they can afford. smart car's demise in the US and existence in the EU re-affirms that as well. smart and similar only existed in the time that a surge in gas prices made large vehicles unaffordable to the majority.
I don't know that he is locking himself into the US market when he says small will be coming down the road. If there is a government mandate for EVs then there may be a huge need to go small. You can make cars cheaper that go more milage if they are smaller and have less wheels. That might be his take. From the customer perspective, from a cost perspective, this might be necessary if transitioning to EVs is necessary.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #293
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Speaking of that method. Aptera is back as well, if anyone wants an alien podracer kinda car.

Actually, I sort of like it.

https://www.aptera.us/

I don't think this ever got posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ging-revealed/

Dadhawk (12-29-2020), Spuds (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #294
Irace86.2.0

https://electrek.co/2020/12/31/tesla...arger-station/

Tesla opens new world largest Supercharger station with a whopping 72 charging stalls

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers