follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #2507
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Doggone it, this here's a FORum, not an AGAINSTum!
Make Forums Great Again!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (11-20-2020), Red-86 (11-21-2020), soundman98 (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #2508
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Doggone it, this here's a FORum, not an AGAINSTum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Make Forums Great Again!
THANKS STEALING AND RIGGING IS REAL!
I HAVE WELL OVER A MILLION THANKS
HIGHEST IN FORUM HISTORY
THS FORUM IS BEING STOLEN FROM ME
TRUE ENTHUSISTS UNITE LETS MAKE IT GREAT AGAIN
Baldeagle (11-20-2020), C4RBON (11-20-2020), Cephas (11-20-2020), daiheadjai (11-20-2020), Sasquachulator (11-20-2020), soundman98 (11-20-2020), StE92ve (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #2509
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dude. You really want to play a "I am an enthusiast game?"
I have bought two new ones now. How many have you bought new to show them there is a market?
The 14 FRS had 150,000+ miles on it when I sold it. I turned down a higher offer than I actually took because I thought the lower bidding buyer was a better home for it.
The only reason I sold was I wanted one of the last of the first gen. I got lucky and managed to snag a Hakone. I had to wait several weeks while they shipped it across the continent for me. I also payed full asking since they went to so much trouble to get me one.
I have indirectly assisted hundreds of people in deciding if this is the car for them. I have directly assisted 20 in their actual purpose.
Two local dealerships have had people give me a call with questions on the car when considering buying it.
I have spent hours speaking with the dealer techs and passing on some of the more usual issues I learned on here.
I lost count of how many I have helped resolve issues with their cars.
I have spent well over $5,000 to travel to meets in California and the PNW and met with other member all across the USA. I was even a sponsor for the 2018 Norcal meet with almost 300 people in attendance.
I have spent endless hours here discussing the good the bad and the ugly of this car and the industry in general and sometimes have a little fun.

Yet because you read a handful of posts where I want facts not theory and try to correct what I feel is misinformation I am a "nihilistic old man" and apparently in your eyes a poor "enthusiast"?
Being enthusiastic for a car does not mean you can not discuss the bad points as well as the good. I don't give a shit if you want to listen to or believe what I have to say but there are loads of others that do want to know.

This second Gen is going to be a great car. Not sure I ever said otherwise. I just think it is ugly as fuck and designed for a whole different demographic than the first gen. If that is being a bad "enthusiast" in your mind then so be it.

Sorry. You're right. I don't have nearly as much experience in the automotive industry as you. This car has been my daily driver for when I go to school for some time and I mainly come here to check the classifieds. Like I said earlier, that's just the impression I got from your posts whenever there'd be info or some random news article, I'd always see you reminding people about how the car's never gonna get released anyway or if it was, it was gonna be worse off and that we should probably just give up because of what ichi said. At the time, it felt less like you were trying to combat misinformation, and more like a way for someone to stroke their ego. I think it was just frustrating because people were trying to be excited for the car even if the articles were just rumor mills.

If you acknowledge that the car has some good things about it as well (I'm not talking from a stylistic point because that's completely subjective), then I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong there.

I'll leave it at that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanstin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #2510
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
Sorry. You're right. I don't have nearly as much experience in the automotive industry as you. This car has been my daily driver for when I go to school for some time and I mainly come here to check the classifieds. Like I said earlier, that's just the impression I got from your posts whenever there'd be info or some random news article, I'd always see you reminding people about how the car's never gonna get released anyway or if it was, it was gonna be worse off and that we should probably just give up because of what ichi said. At the time, it felt less like you were trying to combat misinformation, and more like a way for someone to stroke their ego. I think it was just frustrating because people were trying to be excited for the car even if the articles were just rumor mills.

If you acknowledge that the car has some good things about it as well (I'm not talking from a stylistic point because that's completely subjective), then I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong there.

I'll leave it at that.
probbaly more tempering expectations.

There had been 0 confirmed ANYTHING about the 2nd gens for pretty much the entire time up until its reveal, other than its in development and a collab with subaru again.

Dont want to expect a 300hp tubo car but revealed to be a 228hp N/A car and get all pissy cuz they didnt deliver to your expectations.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #2511
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
probbaly more tempering expectations.

There had been 0 confirmed ANYTHING about the 2nd gens for pretty much the entire time up until its reveal, other than its in development and a collab with subaru again.

Dont want to expect a 300hp tubo car but revealed to be a 228hp N/A car and get all pissy cuz they didnt deliver to your expectations.
lol, i was never for a turbo brz in the first place. Itd make no sense for them to do that because it would put it out of alot of peoples budget

Still, im pretty sure most people were aware that none of it was confirmed. if they wanted to get hype over some dumb article, let them do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #2512
Tcoat

Quote:

I'll leave it at that.
See that is a classic example of what not looking at all the data causes. You saw a few isolated posts, obviously took them completely out of context and formed an opinion based on those.

Yes I have vehemently and consistently attack the clickbait's and their predictions. In the end I have been 100% vindicated because even their latest "leaked details" were not correct.
The "info" coming out was not info at all it was fiction.
The car is not built on the Toyota platform, does not have 260 nor 217HP, Does not look even close to their "official renders" (until the camoed ones showed up and they changed everything), etc, etc.

Yes there was a period where the discussion headed towards them not making it at al. I wasn't yelling doom and gloom as you seem to think but speculating that they may not based upon industry indicator at that particular point in time. It was a very real risk and needed to be considered. Don't believe I ever said "they are not making it" and the discussion was in concern not negativity.

I didn't say "give up" I said that from what ichi said (he is actually a reliable source) anybody that liked what there was should get one. I did exactly that and I am completely and totally happy that I did. I, me, myself, am just not interested in this new factory riced version and will not be buying. At no point did I tell anybody else they should feel the same. I have no need to "stroke my ego" on the internet and the discussion involved many others not just me. People should indeed be excited for the car but they need to be excited for reality as well not some fictional thing that are made up to get clicks.

I have already listed the good things of this new car many many times if you had bothered to read them or venture beyond this one thread and follow some of the other discussions. There are also things that may not be great and they will get discussed as well. I don't give a rat's ass if you admit you ware wrong or not but at least try to get some facts before you start flinging insults at people.
soundman98 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #2513
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
lol, i was never for a turbo brz in the first place. Itd make no sense for them to do that because it would put it out of alot of peoples budget

Still, im pretty sure most people were aware that none of it was confirmed. if they wanted to get hype over some dumb article, let them do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well you'd be surprised at how many people actually interpret random 'news' articles as fact, then come here spewing their bullshit all over the place and clinging to it like a fly on shit.

If you read between the lines of what some people say that oppose those news articles, their message is there. It's easier to cling to the negative than it is the positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #2514
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes I have vehemently and consistently attack the clickbait's and their predictions. In the end I have been 100% vindicated because even their latest "leaked details" were not correct.
So basically the forum shouldn't have discussed the second gen at all until 11/18/2020? I'm sorry, I'm with @Tanstin on this one. Discussions and speculations are part of an enthusiast forum.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), guitarman (11-24-2020), Tanstin (11-22-2020), Will BRZ (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #2515
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Well you'd be surprised at how many people actually interpret random 'news' articles as fact, then come here spewing their bullshit all over the place and clinging to it like a fly on shit.

If you read between the lines of what some people say that oppose those news articles, their message is there. It's easier to cling to the negative than it is the positive.
Nothing wrong with clinging to the middle ground and going up or down as things play out either.
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), Jordanwolf (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #2516
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
So basically the forum shouldn't have discussed the second gen at all until 11/18/2020? I'm sorry, I'm with @Tanstin on this one. Discussions and speculations are part of an enthusiast forum.
No didn't say that.
We had loads of good discussions on what we would like to see, what was possible and what was not. The objection is things such "CONFIRMED 300HP BUILT ON TOYOTA PLATFORM FOR $22,000". That is not discussion nor speculation that is pure unadulterated bullshit.
Also some of the speculations such as when it was at risk are as legit as speculating that all is rosy. It is funny that speculating it will be a 300HP supercar killer is fine but speculating that they could drop the whole thing is taboo. It is not a discussion if everybody just holds hands and agrees on every possible subject. It is just a circle jerk at that point.
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), soundman98 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #2517
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
No, you misconstrue.

Discussion and debate is totally fine, even having your own speculation, but where things get messy is using bogus news articles as fact. This is most of what @Tcoat is always trying to combat (as I speak on his behalf), but many people are hellbent on believing those articles.

To date so many of them have been disproven it's comical. If people were to simply discuss the possibility of having 217hp for example, it would be a lot different than people actually believing it was going to have 217hp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), soundman98 (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #2518
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's interesting how my opinion on the styling has changed. When I first saw it I loved the back, thought the front was ugly, and hated the side skirts.

Now, I think the back is ok, love the front, and still hate the side skirts.

I still like the interior on the 1st gen more. As long as that digital dash has little/no "glow" when it is dark out, I'll be fine. I'm impressed with the black-level on my GTI's screens, although I still wish I could turn them off.

I'm looking forward to seeing one in real life. I'll consider buying one when the performance pack and/or tS is available. Hopefully the GR86 is more universally liked, so styling isn't someone's only reason for not buying one of these.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #2519
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

Quote:
When it goes on sale early fall 2021, two models will be available, and the biggest performance difference between the two will be the tires. The Premium will ride on an as-yet-undisclosed set of 17-inch all-seasons sized 215/45R-17. Speed is driving a BRZ Limited, which rides on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires wrapped around attractive 18-inch 10-spoke alloys.
I haven't seen this tidbit anywhere else. All-season tires for the Premium trim.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #2520
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

I haven't seen this tidbit anywhere else. All-season tires for the Premium trim.

Hmmm. So NOT Primacy HPs....

Closed Thread

Tags
#still slow, fake news