follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@geraldjust likely best chance at answering this.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
A piece of black tape on the dash?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
It's hardly a safety issue. It's not even the case of seatbelts or ABS where people always say "we managed for decades without it". It's more like an electronic oil level gauge - a decently aware owner would have no need for it, since he checks the tire pressure (or oil level) regularly. The only situation where a TPMS sensor will actually alert you is a sudden large pressure drop, one that would be easily felt by the driver anyway. Any slow leaks (either natural pressure drop or a slow puncture) will be caught by an attentive owner.

As for the reason, yes, cost - paying $200-$250 (sensors and scanner) to satisfy a feature I don't need is something I don't care to do. Obviously I could live with the light, but I was curious if I could find a free way to disable it (other than covering the light in the dash).
I just did a search and agree with the cost (sensor and scanner) being at $300 level. At least its a one time purchase.

Meanwhile, is this (amazon) the OEM one shown on subaru website?

Thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:48 AM   #18
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Well, I tried fiddling with the HD1 connector, but it's way too cramped in there for such delicate work without some additional disassembly of the wiring loom. Combine that with my growing suspicion that the TPMS receiver is indeed a part of the key fob remote receiver and disabling one will disable both.

I'll try to see if I can find a CAN command to disable the light or the TPMS entirely, and if that fails I'll just cover the light in the dash.
Yes that receiver is also for the remote key on the car. (the button you push to unlock or "keyfob"). so disconnecting it would make that stop. Not to mention it will also throw fault codes that thing on the BCM are not working properly. so you will probably get some christmas trees on your dash. which may defeat the purpose of just of turning off one light. If your car is mostly a dedicated track car it would be easier to tape it up no?

So when i designed the tracbox was because one of my friends that would go on track and switch out his tires from his street setup to burnables he had the light pop up. which he did not mind but the problem arose that once he put his street ones the light would remain on for a very very long time until the car saw the tires. so i designed is so when he first booted up his car it would reset the TPMS system allowing the car to be able to find the sensors again quicker.

so if your never going to run sensors maybe black tape will be your best friend and cheap too. but if you still want it to be functional (if you street your car too) then maybe the box will be for you.
ls1ac (06-09-2020), NoHaveMSG (05-30-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (05-30-2020), soundman98 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Yes that receiver is also for the remote key on the car. (the button you push to unlock or "keyfob"). so disconnecting it would make that stop.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion before I invested too much time into tearing my car apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
so if your never going to run sensors maybe black tape will be your best friend and cheap too. but if you still want it to be functional (if you street your car too) then maybe the box will be for you.
Yeah, I guess I'll go with the tape in the dash - I don't need all the other features of the track box (except locking on speed), so can't justify the cost. Thanks a lot for the help!
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
I just did a search and agree with the cost (sensor and scanner) being at $300 level. At least its a one time purchase.

Meanwhile, is this (amazon) the OEM one shown on subaru website?

Thanks
but it's not going to be a 1-time purchase. they have a very rough 5-10 year life span being directly exposed to the elements, vibration, and potentially subject to physical damage(if the valve stem catches on anything and cracks, you loose all the air, and need a replacement). you've got a 1-in-4 chance of any or all of them failing at any given time from a number of different methods.

and any time any of them fails, it requires bringing the car in for service to pull the wheel, remove the tire, replace the sensor, reinstall the tire, re-balance the tire, and reinstall on the car, and re-program to the car. around me, that's about $150-300 per wheel, plus the cost of the new sensor.

it adds up quick to satisfy the demands of a single angry orange light on the dash that can be more easily 'repaired' with a $2 roll of black tape...
churchx (05-31-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (05-30-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 03:25 AM   #21
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I sometimes feel luckied out regarding TPMS with having early EUDM twin not having it at all.
BTW .. instrument cluster cannot be modified itself? As in, so what if light is lit .. if no power comes to led that should show it?
Also as there are visual mods for change of dash place .. there might be also ones w/o cutout for TPMS light.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:52 AM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
I don’t want to be rude but is there something that I am missing?
Why not putting new sensors which is safety issue. Is it that expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've also read that some wheels are not compatible with TPMS sensors. Can't remember why tho. On both my cars, I just live with the light being on. I regularly check my tire pressure anyway.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #23
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I sometimes feel luckied out regarding TPMS with having early EUDM twin not having it at all.
BTW .. instrument cluster cannot be modified itself? As in, so what if light is lit .. if no power comes to led that should show it?
Also as there are visual mods for change of dash place .. there might be also ones w/o cutout for TPMS light.
some people will open up the cluster and cut the power to the light, or tape off the indicator from behind so it looks like it's off. but that's a lot of work
Old 05-31-2020, 12:16 PM   #24
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree with you guys that a tape is the cheapest solution. I am just not comfortable to put a tape on a brand new car and not use the function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #25
soundman98

my sensors 'fell out' when i replaced my tires. they somehow teleported to a ziplock baggie on my spare parts shelf.

it's better to not mess with voodoo like that, and just use the standard rubber valve inserts!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Much ado about nothing - I got my summer tires mounted on my new Enkeis (with the stock wheels relegated to winter duty) and got the TPMS light right away when starting the car. While driving I don't notice the light, even when I glance down to the instrument cluster to check the speed. I'll probably live with it, and if it really bothers my I'll put some tape over it.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote