follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Loads of issues, time to fix...

I had hoped to trade this car in this year, but have decided to stick with it a bit longer. While I love the car on the track, this thing is just downright annoying to drive every day and the build quality is pure garbage. But...fixing a few of these things would at least eliminate some of the annoyances.

Here are the things currently going on with the car, many of them common in the 86 cars.

Rattling/Creaking Rear Deck
Buzzing Passenger Side Door/Window Switch
Rattling Throwout Bearing
Drivetrain Slop/Clunk Every Time Going From Rev/For
DI Fuel Pump Chirping
Rattling Shifter Reverse Lockout at Mid/High RPM
Notchy Shifer In Cold Weather (2nd gear unusable until it warms up)
Rattling Door Speaker (could be same issue as Buzzing door/switch)

So...that's the list. I've scoured the forum for fixes and think I can at least eliminate the rattling junk. I've bought some white lithium grease spray to use on the rear deck plates per the TSB. Going to spray the easy trunk part tonight and hope I don't have to tear apart the rear deck this weekend. I simply can't stand this rattle any more! I'll also grease the seat latches just in case.

I'm curious what you guys are doing to try and determine what exactly is buzzing in the door panels? I see a lot of results had to do with the window switch. I stuffed a business card in there (jammed it in) and it was still buzzing. Sounded like it maybe muted it a bit? But it was still there. Any suggestions on this issue before I tear apart the panel and the switch assembly?

Drivetrain slop. Every time I put the car in reverse to back out of a parking spot or my driveway...clunk. Has anyone done anything to get rid of this? I have a Perrin shifter bushing and trans bushing, but never installed them. Wasn't really looking forward to more NVH considering all the noises already going on with stock everything. Any thoughts on something I could do to eliminate the play and get rid of this clunking?

What's the best method to fix the buzzing reverse lockout assembly on the shifter beyond replacing it with an aftermarket unit? I saw people wrapping it in teflon tape, and I may do that. Unless there is a better (less ghetto) way?

The other issues I'm telling myself I just have to live with. The gearbox in this car is junk, as I've tried OEM, Amsoil, and Motul 300 fluids and everything in weather below 65 and a cold start is abysmal. It's notchy, and 2nd gear is near unuseable unless I want to jam it in. It's even grinding 2nd a portion of the time. I'd rather not take it to the dealer, so unless the DI Fuel Pump actually causes a PROBLEM...I'm ignoring that noise. Throwout bearing started making noise at 30k miles, I'm at 45k miles now and will continue to ignore this also. I highly doubt it could be covered under warranty.

Done venting. Would appreciate any advice on anything in the list. Thanks!
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Apex_BRZ

Can a mod please move this to the "Issues/Warranty/Recalls/TSB" section of the forum?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Can of gasoline and a match? Jokes aside it is a subaru dd you really expect anything less? Subaru has and always will have clunks and rattles that develop as well for lack of better words its what makes subaru a subaru.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
BRZ_Prague (03-18-2016), JEDI (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Can a mod please move this to the "Issues/Warranty/Recalls/TSB" section of the forum?
@ichitaka05 by the offtopic powers vested in me I summon you to this thread
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
its what makes subaru a subaru.
I expected a 2013 car would at least not develop all this nonsense until after I've gotten rid of it. IE: at least 70k+ miles. Lesson learned. I won't buy another, but making this one a bit less annoying for a little bit longer would be fantastic.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
jasonojordan

Think again. Its a Subaru lol they are known for making fun to drive affordable cars not for build quality and luxury.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (03-25-2016), RobertPaulson (03-18-2016), roddy (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Think again. Its a Subaru lol they are known for making fun to drive affordable cars not for build quality and luxury.
Not interested in a debate. Any advice on the issues above would be great, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
jasonojordan

Sounds like your on the right track to fixing your issues already. From what ive heard shifter bushings help alot with the clunk as well as changing the stock fluid out. Mine shifts much nicer after getting rid of the stock fluid. I have not developed any of the rattles you have talked about, yet. Injectors do make alot of noise but then again I came from a 02 wrx with large injectors that make these things sound like a wisper.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Sounds like your on the right track to fixing your issues already. From what ive heard shifter bushings help alot with the clunk as well as changing the stock fluid out. Mine shifts much nicer after getting rid of the stock fluid. I have not developed any of the rattles you have talked about, yet. Injectors do make alot of noise but then again I came from a 02 wrx with large injectors that make these things sound like a wisper.
I track the car, so I've changed the fluid many times. It's great as long as the gearbox is warm. I've tried Amsoil, which actually made it seem worse. I've moved to the popular Motul 300, and it's back to at least the same behavior as the OEM fluid (only I trust it much more for track duty). I've just been skipping 2nd gear completely when it's cold out until the car warms up. The fluid has nothing whatsoever to do with any clunking, that's a drivetrain lash issue.

Don't know anything about injector issues. My report above was about the Direct Injection Fuel Pump, which is a known issue. Everyone calls it "crickets", but it doesn't seem to actually have any negative effects...so I ignore it along with the other noises.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
jasonojordan

Sorry yes pump not injectors my mistake. A buddy of mine who went to supercharged changed his driveshaft to a single piece rather then the 2 piece stock and said that helps quite alot with the drivetrain lash.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not interested in a debate. Any advice on the issues above would be great, thanks!
as far as the door switch rattle goes its an easy fix, pop the bitch out and wrap it in as much sound deadening material you can and it will be good to go.

Crickets there is no known fix yet, although I did find low E content and low oil temps did help
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
For the 2nd gear thing, see if you can find Pentosin MTF2...works better than anything else I've tried, and my car sees some very cold temps during the winter.

For the crickets, fuel with no ethanol works for me. The shell 91 we have here in Ontario Canada has no ethanol in it. However, we also have 94 octane available (with 10% ethanol) and the car seems to like it better. When I run the 94 in warm weather, it chirps like crazy. When using the 94, I have found that adding 1-2oz of 2-stroke oil to the tank at fill up effectively kills the crickets. My car has over 90,000kms on the clock, and I have had no issues (O2 sensors, catalytic converters, spark plugs, etc) from doing this. I will be changing the plugs this spring and will post up pics when I do.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
as far as the door switch rattle goes its an easy fix, pop the bitch out and wrap it in as much sound deadening material you can and it will be good to go.

Crickets there is no known fix yet, although I did find low E content and low oil temps did help
OK, thanks. I'll take it apart this weekend and take the assembly apart. I'm hoping this is also the source of the speaker buzzing!

Quote:
For the 2nd gear thing, see if you can find Pentosin MTF2...works better than anything else I've tried, and my car sees some very cold temps during the winter.
Is that fluid also good for track use? What other fluids did you try?

Not terribly concerned with the cricket noise, at least not to the point where I'm going to start adding things to fuel or get real picky about fuel stops. Tough finding no ethanol here in corn country Iowa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
DI Fuel Pump Chirping

Let's be systematic about this:

The above will take some time, for the door speaker and passenger door switch the door should be removed and sound deadened, also you can try marine rtv adhesive silicone when you attached things so they actually stay together this should be done to both doors the sound difference will be noticeable

DI Fuel Pump Chirping - Seriously?!?this is not a fixable issue, unless you'd like to replace it the same noise will appear unless you say try adding 2 stroke oil to the gas, or finding ethanol free fuel, also some people found the chirping doesn't appear with an oil cooler The below issues could possibly be fixed all at once at a shop that does transmission work:

If the sound goes away when you push the clutch pedal, it is your clutch.
If the sound happens when you push the pedal, it is your throwout bearing.Throw out bearing noise is relatively common on these cars at one point peoples flywheel bolts just needed to be torqued down.

This one can easily be fixed with a fluid swap, getting something like motul or pentosin will get rid of the notchiness
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote