follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
Resions

Drives: Brz 2015 US
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Loud sound when i start cold car (coldstart)

Hello
I'm writing on the group because I have a problem.
after starting a cold car, the car is very loud and sometimes it is rpmkick. the problem stops after about 1 minute when the revs drop to 900 and it works perfectly when it warms up and the idle speed will be at the level of 650. I noticed that when the engine is running at this highrevs and i change my shift to D - at gearshift. I hear kick from front central panel in cabin.
I know that this car is a special care car but im really irritated when i start car and it's so loud.

I change oil in engine after 4000mile and use 0w30 millers nt+ , only this one i use 0w30 amsoil signature series becouse milletd will be unavalible in shop. Now im bought millers and wanna chsnge this amsoil becouse i think my car better runing on millers than amsoil.

Anyone help how to delete this issue or maybe this is normal in this car? Maybe someone send me video how your engine run after night then I could compare my and your coldstart.
When all liquids in car get good temperature then it is so quiet that people ask if it's electric
Resions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resions View Post
Hello
I'm writing on the group because I have a problem.
after starting a cold car, the car is very loud and sometimes it is rpmkick. the problem stops after about 1 minute when the revs drop to 900 and it works perfectly when it warms up and the idle speed will be at the level of 650. I noticed that when the engine is running at this highrevs and i change my shift to D - at gearshift. I hear kick from front central panel in cabin.
I know that this car is a special care car but im really irritated when i start car and it's so loud.

I change oil in engine after 4000mile and use 0w30 millers nt+ , only this one i use 0w30 amsoil signature series becouse milletd will be unavalible in shop. Now im bought millers and wanna chsnge this amsoil becouse i think my car better runing on millers than amsoil.

Anyone help how to delete this issue or maybe this is normal in this car? Maybe someone send me video how your engine run after night then I could compare my and your coldstart.
When all liquids in car get good temperature then it is so quiet that people ask if it's electric

Did you recently get it tuned? Installed Catback?

Oil wouldn't really have anything to do with cold starts, as long as your temperatures look good according to your driving style and scenarios, it doesn't matter what brand you use. It also all depends on outside temperatures.

If you recently installed a catback system, depending on which one it is, the packing might be wearing out causing louder starts.

Regarding the kick, have you done proper maintenance on the transmission? Like change the oil?
Do you drive in manual mode often and abuse the transmission?
Old 06-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Resions

Drives: Brz 2015 US
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey thanks for your answer.
Im have oem exhaust and car never see tuner. All what i change is kn air lifter.
I change dynamic oil in At max 1000mil earlier. Im use this car only for daily driving and sometimes use sportmode and manual on AT. But always im wait for good temperature. AT runs perfectly and does not drag gears etc.
Resions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
after starting a cold car, the car is very loud and sometimes it is rpmkick. the problem stops after about 1 minute when the revs drop to 900 and it works perfectly when it warms up and the idle speed will be at the level of 650.

Maybe a problem with how it came out in english, but what do you mean by RPM kick? Do you mean the revs go up and down?

I'm sure you're aware, cold start cars always start at a higher RPM (1000-2000 RPM) and then drop down after warmup or when you put the car into gear.

Since you asked, here's a video of my engine after cold start. It is always a pretty loud start.

radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I noticed that when the engine is running at this highrevs and i change my shift to D - at gearshift. I hear kick from front central panel in cabin.

This seems like normal mechanical operation. At at high revs, it probably engages the torque converter very hard when you shift it back into Drive from manual mode. You probably shouldn't be shifting from M back to D when your revs are high!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:28 AM   #6
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds normal to me like a damn tractor
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85