follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #2353
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
all the lawns have rocks in them and there is plenty of spacing on the drive way lol.
Someone will disagree with the order of your rocks and make life hell. HOAs are run by evil people that want to exert control over others.
NoHaveMSG (06-20-2022), Ultramaroon (06-20-2022), weederr33 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 11:49 PM   #2354
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
My town has a bunch of basic HOA laws on the books. Not really a problem for me
Spuds (06-19-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 12:32 AM   #2355
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
When you support the red and white, you can park wherever you want.

I stand on guard for thee

Old 06-20-2022, 03:12 AM   #2356
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I like the HOA because there is a pool and it's gated. So that is nice. This house is also close to where I work on Post so that makes it nice.
I live in one of the only subdivisions without an HOA. The worst we had was off-road vehicles and my neighbor brought home his work truck. Some days that work truck was a stake body, other days a bucket truck, and even a Terex crane. It wasn't too bad though everyone who lived here was from the same area about 50 miles away and were all letting loose a little in our early 30's. Now that we have lived through a recession and half the houses have turned over, a new batch of entitled a-holes have moved in and are constantly calling the township and the police for stupid parking violations, fireworks, and horse shit dropped in front of their houses. We don't have local police and state police won't come out for anything but medical emergencies and capital offenses.

My one "new" neighbor complained that we had three working vehicles parked on the street that were used daily. He called anyone he could that might listen to get me fined and/or towed. They all laughed. He threatened me with civil action. I said - How far do you think that's going to go? if you turn left out of your driveway there is a 28' long race trailer parked on the street 9 months out of the year.

This is really just a story and I wanted to point out there is so much more to buying a house than the transaction. That is just the beginning.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #2357
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Someone will disagree with the order of your rocks and make life hell. HOAs are run by evil people that want to exert control over others.
I've lived in an HOA before and it wasn't too bad. Although someone did complain about my STI pads being too squeaky.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #2358
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
I live in one of the only subdivisions without an HOA. The worst we had was off-road vehicles and my neighbor brought home his work truck. Some days that work truck was a stake body, other days a bucket truck, and even a Terex crane. It wasn't too bad though everyone who lived here was from the same area about 50 miles away and were all letting loose a little in our early 30's. Now that we have lived through a recession and half the houses have turned over, a new batch of entitled a-holes have moved in and are constantly calling the township and the police for stupid parking violations, fireworks, and horse shit dropped in front of their houses. We don't have local police and state police won't come out for anything but medical emergencies and capital offenses.

My one "new" neighbor complained that we had three working vehicles parked on the street that were used daily. He called anyone he could that might listen to get me fined and/or towed. They all laughed. He threatened me with civil action. I said - How far do you think that's going to go? if you turn left out of your driveway there is a 28' long race trailer parked on the street 9 months out of the year.

This is really just a story and I wanted to point out there is so much more to buying a house than the transaction. That is just the beginning.
Yeah I'm hoping we don't have a bunch of Karens. But time will tell. I found 2 other houses I plan to look at though so we will see what happens. Still, based off what I saw, it seems rather chill with parking and I wasn't the loudest person in the neighborhood cuz when I left a loud WRX came in with it's obnoxious BOV.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #2359
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yep. half the reason i don't have any desire to move is that i like my neighbors.

at least talk to them during the process.
2020BRZtS (06-21-2022), Captain Snooze (06-20-2022), Dadhawk (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:51 AM   #2360
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Every new subdivision in this part of Idaho has an HOA. They all look weird when you drive thru. All homes the same color, no cars in the street or in driveways (Not allowed), no kids toys in any yards, or anything else.

A friend of mine bought in a very expensive neighborhood in Eagle. He was fined $1200 for having two work trucks parked in his driveway for a day (during work hours) when he hired a contractor to fix a water damaged second story deck. He did not get pre-approval from the HOA to have work trucks.

When my older brother and his wife moved into their house in Arizona, they had a Uhaul trailer. They unloaded it till after dark, then went to bed with plans on taking the trailer back in the morning. By early morning they had a "note" and fine from the HOA. Talk about welcome to the neighborhood!

We are lucky to have found the place we have. Great neighbors, established neighborhood, big lots, and no HOA.

One mistake I made with the last house in SJ is not looking close enough at the surrounding houses. Look over the fence. People behind us were hoarders.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #2361
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I believe they are run by people who want to get into politics, but have too many skeletons' in the closet that would come out during a campaign so this is how they enact those desires.

HOA's are rare in my area but I know a couple people that live in one and they make it sound like a nightmare.

Even without an HOA you can have crazy neighbors that call you in all the time. My buddy is dealing with that now. He bought a wooded 2 acre chunk of land to build his home on 2 years ago. The lady that lives below him kept coming up while we were working complaining he cut down "her" forest. Recently he cut down all the trees close to the property line that borders them. She came out and called him every name in the book for ruining the community and telling him that all his neighbors hate him. She really lost her shit when he told her the reason those trees came out is that is where his shop is going. She was throwing a fit about not wanting to look at his shop and he told her, "I don't want to look at your house, that is why the shop is going there." So far she has called him in for burning brush out of season though he has a year round permit, she is also disputing the property boundary even though we marked the pins and is calling out her own surveyor. Her husband works for the county so we are curious what kind of games they will try to play. She also went over to my cousins place to complain about the house they are building ruining her view even though it is across a county road and a couple hundred yards south of her. What does she think people are going to do with land just two miles outside of the capital?
soundman98 (06-20-2022), Tcoat (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #2362
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I have never heard of an HOA, and after reading a few of the comments, sounds like living in a within an HOA has more drawbacks than it has benefits. Then again, living in a small town governed by a council isn't much better because I can't do jack sht on my house without paying a good amount of money for permits, a hearing, and then permission from said council.

Edit, after a quick google search apparently these are some "benefits" of living withing an HOA:

10. Architectural Controls
Basically the same as my city council. Is my house, but I have to ask the town for permission to build, on my property.
9. Increased Community Engagement
I'm barely home, and when I am, I like to stay at home and mind my own business.
8. Access to Amenities
I live in the woods, surrounded by the ocean. So trails and pools are the least of my worries.

7. Well-Maintained Common Areas and Amenities

As long as my house and yard are clean, I could care less how my neighbor's house looks like or the surrounding area.

6. Increased Community Pride
This sounds like living between a bunch of stuck up jerks.

5. Rules and Regulations Deter Nuisance Activity
Don't be revving your shitbox or harley at 5AM or midnight and we cool.

4. Added Layer of Support
No, because then people want to get inside my business.

3. Community Connection through Volunteer Work

Basically then more you kiss ass, the higher up you become in the HOA.

2. Financial Stability
Doubtful, paying fees for stuff that I'm probably won't use, (access to paid trails, pool, facilities) is a waste of money.

1. Helping Maintain Property Values
False, the housing market either drives up or down the value of my house. Without being in an HOA, my house is up ATM.

Last edited by spcmafia; 06-20-2022 at 11:22 AM.
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
cjd (06-20-2022), Sapphireho (06-20-2022), soundman98 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:26 AM   #2363
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I have never heard of an HOA, and after reading a few of the comments, sounds like living in a within an HOA has more drawbacks than it has benefits. Then again, living in a small town governed by a council isn't much better because I can't do jack sht on my house without paying a good amount of money for permits, a hearing, and then permission from said council.
HOAs were very rare where I lived in NorCal, but everywhere here in Idaho. I think the permit thing is same in any city. We are in the county, so it is a bit easier to get permits than in city limits. However, we have been waiting months and months for one agency to approve replacement of the pressure tank, etc. to one of our wells.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #2364
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
HOAs were very rare where I lived in NorCal, but everywhere here in Idaho. I think the permit thing is same in any city. We are in the county, so it is a bit easier to get permits than in city limits. However, we have been waiting months and months for one agency to approve replacement of the pressure tank, etc. to one of our wells.

I don't think I ever posted my deck permit story here. I might've of. Anyways, long story short. We had to pay a stupid amount of money just in paperwork, permits,etc. Then to request a hearing, where we barely made it with enough votes, even when the board acknowledged that my zoning regulations were poorly made. Had they denied the permit, all that money was non refundable. Inspection before, during, and after.

The whole ordeal took months.
soundman98 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #2365
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Very rarely do I need a permit for anything. I don't think I have bought a permit in 10 years and I am on my 3rd full gut and remodel job in the last 8 years.
soundman98 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #2366
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I don't think I ever posted my deck permit story here. I might've of. Anyways, long story short. We had to pay a stupid amount of money just in paperwork, permits,etc. Then to request a hearing, where we barely made it with enough votes, even when the board acknowledged that my zoning regulations were poorly made. Had they denied the permit, all that money was non refundable. Inspection before, during, and after.

The whole ordeal took months.
For an "on the ground" deck? Like a backyard wood deck?

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money