follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
Chuckable

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headlight leveling on LED/HID cars after lowering

Not sure if this belongs in the suspension section or not, but please feel free to move it if it is inappropriate here.

I have a 2017 Toyota 86 which comes stock with LED headlights. I believe other years and models came with HID or LED headlights as well.

After searching on the forum for the proper way to reset the headlight level after lowering, I wasn’t finding much (though I could have missed it) other than to max out the manual adjustment at the headlight assemblies themselves. However, the manual prescribes this procedure:

I called a local Toyota dealer to ask them about the procedure and they didn’t know about it.

Has anyone done this procedure? And if so, did it work out for you? Looks like just jumping two pins with a wire and turning the headlight switch on and off. Is it really that simple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
2017 models don't have an electronic procedure, that one is for HID <2016 projectors (that can be levelled with Techstream diagnostic too).
Either buy an adjustable levelling bracket like the Cusco, or adjust the screws on the headlights.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Chuckable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
2017 models don't have an electronic procedure, that one is for HID <2016 projectors (that can be levelled with Techstream diagnostic too).
Either buy an adjustable levelling bracket like the Cusco, or adjust the screws on the headlights.

Thanks for the quick response. But that procedure and screenshot are taken from the 2017 manual.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I have an EU model, it may be different (Tapturn relay needs a different version IE), this has been confirmed to me by the technician of the local Toyota dealer.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckable View Post
Not sure if this belongs in the suspension section or not, but please feel free to move it if it is inappropriate here.

I have a 2017 Toyota 86 which comes stock with LED headlights. I believe other years and models came with HID or LED headlights as well.

After searching on the forum for the proper way to reset the headlight level after lowering, I wasn’t finding much (though I could have missed it) other than to max out the manual adjustment at the headlight assemblies themselves. However, the manual prescribes this procedure:

I called a local Toyota dealer to ask them about the procedure and they didn’t know about it.

Has anyone done this procedure? And if so, did it work out for you? Looks like just jumping two pins with a wire and turning the headlight switch on and off. Is it really that simple?

This is how you adjust them...
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=123568&page=2
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Chuckable

Thanks for the link. My aftermarket control arms have provision for the leveler to attach to the control arm, but not a mechanism to adjust it on the lower control arm itself. That’s why I was asking if there is a way to recalibrate the sensor to the new height rather than resorting to a $60 Cusco part.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Chuckable

Double post.

Last edited by Chuckable; 10-01-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Double post.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Vital

Quote:
Thanks for the link. My aftermarket control arms have provision for the leveler to attach to the control arm, but not a mechanism to adjust it on the lower control arm itself. That’s why I was asking if there is a way to recalibrate the sensor to the new height rather than resorting to a $60 Cusco part.

Just curious, is there a reason why dont want to just adjust the headlight with that little 8mm knob on the back of each headlight? Seems like that would be the easiest way to do it.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Chuckable

Only because my experience is with a GTI with HID headlights. In that system people would lower their cars, not recalibrate the height sensor, use the manual adjustment at the lights, and then damage the motors that control the headlight level when the motors were fighting against the manual adjustment. Essentially, the manual adjustment is for fine-tuning only.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Vital

Quote:
Only because my experience is with a GTI with HID headlights. In that system people would lower their cars, not recalibrate the height sensor, use the manual adjustment at the lights, and then damage the motors that control the headlight level when the motors were fighting against the manual adjustment. Essentially, the manual adjustment is for fine-tuning only.

Oh okay i see. Well im pretty sure these arent as sophisticated as EU cars so i doubt anything would happen. It seems like people have just turned that 8mm to adjust it and some dont even bother reinstalling the sensor into the new control arms and it seems like it isnt a huge issue. But i get it its always nice to do a proper job. I wish i could help, but i have a 2015 with HIDs so i have no clue how the newer models do their auto-leveling.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Chuckable

Appreciate the feedback nonetheless! Just trying to figure out what seems like should be a simple issue.