follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You might try swapping tires front/rear and see if the problem changes or goes away. If so, could be a bad tire, it does happen.

They are all the same model tire, right? "Michelin 4s" meaning Pilot Sport 4S?
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruslow View Post
They are all 4 michelin's I put on a new a year or so ago, the tire was not damage so it went back on once I got a new rim. Pressure's are all good.

To me it feels as if sometimes after a bump the car keeps undulating more than it should / use to. The back of the car is moving way more than it should.

Today after a spirited drive i have now developed an odd whirring sound at low speed, i'm definitely thinking there is something else other than alignment wrong now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the valvetrain will blow up and I can just light a match on the car while sitting in it.

things are not going well for me.

wheel bearing?
You hit a bump hard enough to bend a wheel and now you have a "whirring" sound? As said try moving the wheels around. If that changes it you may have broke some belts inside the tire. It could look fine but cause all sorts of weird things. If moving the wheels changes nothing then check out the wheel bearing on the one that hit. hey are another common cause of whirring noises. Oh and get the alignment checked.
Dadhawk (06-03-2021), norcalpb (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #17
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Today after a spirited drive i have now developed an odd whirring sound at low speed, i'm definitely thinking there is something else other than alignment wrong now.
A poor alignment, left unchecked long enough, can cause other problems to crop up. I'm willing to bet you damaged something when you bent the rim that would've caused the alignment to go bad. Now you have problems in addition to that. @Tcoat is also spot on that an impact of that force could likely cause unseen damage. Whether it's on the tire or suspension, it could very well be there.

I'm surprised you chose not to get an alignment done when you got the tire put back on. Did you at least get it rebalanced? Getting both of those done at the time of the replacement would likely have caught any unseen problems. Any time you deal with rim or tire replacements you need to get those checked. It's not as simple as swap-and-go.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #18
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
A poor alignment, left unchecked long enough, can cause other problems to crop up.
I've had some pretty wonky alignments, never had it cause any problems other than weird handling and weird/excessive tire wear. It shouldn't cause any permanent problems.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-03-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #19
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Floating suggests the impact could have also blown the shock. The whirring noise could be wheel bearing but those are easy to check. With the car in the air, grab the wheel on each side (3 and 9 oclock) and try to move in/out - this will check play in the steering rack and lower ball joint, then grab the top and bottom of wheel and check for play which would be wheel bearing. You can also take off your brake rotor and spin the hub by hand and feel for any looseness of roughness (or lack of grease).
Dadhawk (06-11-2021), Ultramaroon (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Floating suggests the impact could have also blown the shock.
I would never have considered this! Purely due to lack of firsthand experience. Makes perfect sense.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Annnnd

soundman98 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #22
subaruslow

Drives: subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for the delayed post. I do appreciate the help. So i'm embarrassed to say the noise seems to have been from the plastic protector in the front. It was rubbing the slightest bit. I still have not gotten in for an alignment yet only because things are so tight right now $. Oof. I am convinced there is still something funky as the traction goes off on the slightest bump and you hear a thud from the rear. I can't tell if the traction control coming on is contributing to it feeling wonky or not. Maybe it's applying rear brake when this happens?

Also for the record I was not in the car or the one piloting it when the rim was bent. I got to figure it out later...grrr The tire did get driven on a little bit when it was pretty low psi probably 18 so tire damage internally would not be out of the question, however the weirdness over bumps with the traction seems to be the rear. I know people get all crazy about small things with their car but to me It doesn't feel how it use to, it was never floaty like it is now. It definitely feels less stable if you are trying to drive at all spiritedly. I just want to get the car back and do a darned mines road trip or something, have some fun in it.

Thanks for the help guys. Next step will be alignment. I am trying to find somewhere that will be able to tell me if anything is bent. I don't know if it would be good to take it in to a place like racers line to see what they say?
subaruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to subaruslow For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #23
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am trying to find somewhere that will be able to tell me if anything is bent.
Just an FYI, if you go to get a 4-wheel alignment done and anything is bent, they will not be able to properly complete the alignment and they'll tell you.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry for the delayed post.
Thanks for sharing. No shame. Shit happens. Talking about your experience helps all who come here for the big picture.